Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

Finished I think unless I discover any other pieces I missed off, such as parts D03 & D04 which I had to fit with the model basically finished meaning that I had to cut them short.  For this reason, they actually go nowhere once they disappear inside the engine but let's not mention that!  OOB with kit decals - the only parts I added were the rocket pig-tails which I fabricated from fuse wire.  The first impression on opening the box is frankly terror, which gets worse the more you study the weighty tome that is the instruction booklet (229 stages!).  However if you take your time & follow the logical process that Airfix suggest the model poses no real problems for any reasonably competent modeller.  However I have to say that the way Airfix try to differentiate & explain to the builder which engine parts etc. need to be omitted for a fully or partially closed up model were a bit lost on me.  As my detail painting skills are not brilliant, I would have preferred to build it with the engine only partially exposed but decided to play safe & build totally exposed.  No, you'd never have seen a fully armed combat aircraft in this state of near total strip-down but let's just call it a display model rather then an accurate rendition of a wartime scene!

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable & impressive.  I'll definitely build another, probably a car-door version to allow more of the beautiful cockpit to be visible.

35425492406_fbd6bac507_k.jpgDSC00786 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr35425492406_fcf59e2eee_c.jpg

34655681653_1b31addce6_k.jpgDSC00785 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

34655681653_1b31addce6_k.jpgDSC00785 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

35425489246_493473aa83_k.jpgDSC00784 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

34624023364_4e66fa9116_k.jpgDSC00783 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

35425486096_421d4532c6_k.jpgDSC00782 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

34624022094_9f7ee198ff_k.jpgDSC00781 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

35425483336_769487a2dc_k.jpgDSC00780 by Graham Tarran, on Flickr

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7

Hello,Graham - I know that as far as size is concerned this is a beast of a kit.

However,after studying the photos,you've created a vision of beauty with your 'Typhoon'.You've obviously taken great care with the construction aspect but my eyes are immediately drawn to the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work.This shows great eye for detail and I also love the clean 'classic' appearance.

If this was my model,I'd be extremely proud of it.Great work indeed.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

7 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Graham - I know that as far as size is concerned this is a beast of a kit.

However,after studying the photos,you've created a vision of beauty with your 'Typhoon'.You've obviously taken great care with the construction aspect but my eyes are immediately drawn to the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work.This shows great eye for detail and I also love the clean 'classic' appearance.

If this was my model,I'd be extremely proud of it.Great work indeed.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Thanks Paul!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Paul!

Hello,Graham - You're more than welcome.Credit where credit is due.

There is another superb build of this kit on RFI at the moment.This shows excellent weathering work.

'Whether to weather' is a topical subject.I respect both sides of this debate but at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and preference.The clean 'classic' finish is exactly how I like to finish my builds.

I've just enjoyed studying your photos again and your 'Typhoon' displays meticulous paint and decal application and is my idea of perfection.

"Keep up the great work!"

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

14 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Graham - You're more than welcome.Credit where credit is due.

There is another superb build of this kit on RFI at the moment.This shows excellent weathering work.

'Whether to weather' is a topical subject.I respect both sides of this debate but at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and preference.The clean 'classic' finish is exactly how I like to finish my builds.

I've just enjoyed studying your photos again and your 'Typhoon' displays meticulous paint and decal application and is my idea of perfection.

"Keep up the great work!"

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Yea, I truly suck at weathering & have ruined a few models over the years :worry:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Yea, I truly suck at weathering & have ruined a few models over the years :worry:

Hello,Graham - I know what you mean.I'm happy to put a wash on undercarriage and a touch of exhaust/cannon staining if I so desire but I'm not brave enough to go much further into the noble art of weathering.😳

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

Very nice build of the big brute! Good job!

Let's not mention D03, since mine is still left in the spares box after more then enough unsuccessful tries to get it installed. It's just a silly oil pipe at the end of the day...