most strange camo ever seen in a PBY-5A catalina?

Davide Calzolari

A shark moused Catalina from Argentina

This must be the most unusual markings for the Catalina, actually a Canadian Vickers PBV-1A Canso 0238/2-P-6 (ex RACF 9841) of the Escuadrilla de Patrulleros, Fuerza Aeronaval Argentina, 1953.

08.jpg

Dib4.jpg

Here's a link to a flight simu video of 2-P-6.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/3213-

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 4

The US Navy and reserves used the Catalina postwar as well.

By then the standard scheme had become glossy sea blue overall, with postwar stars and bars (red stripe added) and lettering in white.  The reserves featured an orange band around the rear fuselage.  They were kept clean as a whistle and that's a scheme so sharp you could cut yourself.

My to do list features one from NAS Grosse Ile.

Hey Intruder,

I recall in an SAM (the first one) from many years ago a feature article on the PBY.  In the side and top profiles was one of the RAAF (don't remember which version, but probably a '-5') with a dark sea grey (maybe EDSG or their version) and a dark blue (Oxford?) scheme.

I'll try to find it to get you particulars, but it'll take time....Maybe another of our forum mates remembers that one as well and can post pics in the meantime?  Maybe those colors strike your fancy?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, expositor said:

Hey Intruder,

In the side and top profiles was one of the RAAF (don't remember which version, but probably a '-5') with a dark sea grey (maybe EDSG or their version) and a dark blue (Oxford?) scheme.

That would be Night/Dark Ocean Blue but I think you are correct in thinking that it was not in the PBY-5A configuration sought by the OP. Wheels were removed to save weight.

• 2 weeks later...