F-14 F.O.D guards

Fido996

Ok, so. I bought the BigEd set for the Tomcat and it came with a set of F.O.D guards. This influenced my decision to pose my finished (hopefully) model parked. I've now got to the stage of fitting, only to find that they're nowhere near a 'close' fit. They will go into the inlet but they're just too tall. They sit at an angle. I sort of assumed they should be upright. Even the few pictures I've managed to find have confirmed this. Sitting just slightly back on the lower lip and perfectly upright.

So, after seeing if they could be modified and quickly deciding against it, I purchased the Quickboost set. Great set as they are (with two decal sheets to boot!), I have exactly the same problem as the etched set. 

I made sure to have the intake ramp in the fully up position, it physically would not go any further. So, is it that the parts are too big for the kit they're designed for, have I built it wrong or am I just missing something completely obvious?

It's the finally couple of pieces to finish off this build before I embark on the next project (Su-15 I think), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Fido,

Modern weenie cookers ain't my thang, as they say around here, but your post piqued my curiosity. It seems that there are three styles of FOD covers used on the F-14. One is more or less square, has an 'X' shaped stiffener on the outside, and looks like it mounts vertically with the bottom flush with the lower lip of the intake. The 2nd type looks like it has elastic around the edges and covers the entire intake, sort of like a big shower cap. The 3rd type is shaped like a coffin and has a rectangular tab on its upper edge that looks like it fits over the top edge of the intake and the remainder of the guard looks like it folds down to match the angle of the intake. I have attached a link to some photos that show the variations as well as diagrams of the aftermarket sets. Our best bet, I think, is hoping that Tailhook Tommy reads this and can give you a much more definitive answer...he has probably  forgotten more Tomcat trivia than I will ever know! Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=f-14+tomcat&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjs3tK3odLUAhVnw1QKHZEwBE0Q_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=654#tbm=isch&q=f-14+tomcat+intake+covers&imgrc=w0UIDiPua6iCDM:&spf=1498162309863

I also forgot about this website that is for the F-14- go to the walkaround  section and click on engine intake to see some FOD photos; this is an excellent reference site for F-14 builders in any scale.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/index.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Mike, some great references on those links.

I think I may have to go down the 'make my own' route as I left out the engine face and the trunking is completely unpainted. 

My my own fault for not checking the fit earlier. :doh: