What`s it for ? .

Don149

I`m currently building the Merit M19 Diamond T tank transporter and am wondering what the crane like lifting arm mounted on the

front of the ballast body was used for . I have the Squadron Signal book on this vehicle but none of the pics show it deployed ! .

I remember Diamond Ts in both military and civvi use , its always been a favourite of mine .

Anyone know what that piece of equipment was , please .

Don .

Maybe , Centaur , but there would have to be a rigid location to mount it , also a crank and pulley , I think . There`s no sign

of these in the book , but it is a possibility . Thanks for the suggestion .

Don .

A simple block and tackle is all that is required - no crank. The cable/pulley could well be stowed in a compartment on the vehicle. Other US vehicles use a similar system. It could be something else but the weight of the spare wheels means they couldn't be manhandled without assistance and I would therefore expect to find a derrick and tackle system of some description on the vehicle :D

Cheers,

Centaur

Here we have what your looking for..........................

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/messages/27668/40847.jpg

Antar Tyres were impossible to lift so we used a jib which could be mounted/dismounted and stored on the left side of the trailer...........block and tackle to lift the spare tyre from the top of the trailer to the ground and visa versa, Two types of Sankey trailers, 50 ton and 60 ton, all had lots of tyres and it was sods law that tyres in the centre of the trailers would go!!!.  The jib was also fitted to the Antar Mark3a ballast box for when it was towing a dyson trailer

• Like 1