Revell 1/24 RML

fightersweep

Hi All;

Finally picked up this kit after promising it to myself for far too long. A massive amount of plastic for a very reasonable amount of money, so a very happy bunny here.

My plan all along was to try and model a Southend Transport Routemaster, which I realised would mean the conversion from the RML. However, I discovered that Southend Transport operated one RML, which I have read was the only one operated outside of London. Great! I'll do that one then...so time to get cracking on the kit. The only thing I can't nail down is the interior. 

It's a long shot I know, but would the interiors have retained the London Transport colours with the same coloured seats? I did find a photo of a Southend Transport RM being re-sprayed, and this seemed to include the boarding platform, so that's ok. I just have no idea about the rest of the interior!

Annoying thing is, is that being a Southend on Sea lad, I travelled on these buses a few times, and I cannot remember the colours inside the bus!

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!

Best regards;
Steve

Hi Willie;

Thanks for the reply! I should have thought of Castle Point myself. Raised in Southend and left in 1998, but never made it to the museum there. I'll drop them a line.

I think I shouldn't have been quite so specific with my query, as I imagine this would apply to most RMs operating around the country. I imagine that most got re-sprays, but I would think that the interiors would have been left as is.

I think I've decided to try the conversion to an RM, as this will offer me more choices, so I've been studying the build threads here. Just have to pluck up the courage to start hacking at plastic!

Best regards;
Steve

Emailed Castle Point and got a very nice reply from the owner of ex-SCT Routemaster VLT 44. Now have detailed interior photos and the exact shade of blue the bus was painted and I can use the kit wheels. Result! All the info I could have wanted. Thanks Willie Fixit for the suggestion of contacting the museum! 

Time to visit the museum at Castle Point and throw some money in their donation tin methinks.

Best regards;
Steve

Hi Willie;

Thanks for the heads up! October 8th is my birthday, so that sounds like a perfect excuse for a trip to my Motherland county! It's been a while since I had a trip on a classic bus!

I've got the custom decals for my Revell Routemaster sorted now. Going to be ALM 34B of Southend Transport. All I need do now is try not to mess up the build!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep