HMS Queen Elizabeth Sea Trials

4scourge7

So, scuttlebuck has it that HMS Queen Elizabeth will depart sometime between today and Saturday 24th. Same rumour mill says that the carrier will depart around noon, anchor off Rosyth, then sail under the bridges at optimal tide which is around 1800 hours.

I`m going on pure speculation in the media and on t`interweb so am happy to be corrected on any and all details.

Cheers, Ian

• Like 2

Some more rock-solid and reliable rumour....

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-queen-elizabeth-likely-sail-soon/

Liking the webcam feature. :camera:

Edit- Here`s the direct link to a series of webcams covering the Forth.

http://forth-bridges.co.uk/queensferry-crossing/gallery-queens/rosyth-dockyard-webcam.html

Edited by ian buick

Some highly reliable gossip is pointing towards Monday.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-queen-elizabeth-expected-to-sail-monday/

New titbit; bridges are to be closed to the public during departure.

However bad some of their PR has been, I don`t think the ACA can succeed in sneaking the 70,000t warship out without anyone noticing. :P

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ian buick said:

However bad some of their PR has been, I don`t think the ACA can succeed in sneaking the 70,000t warship out without anyone noticing. :P

Sadly in today's "interesting times" it's probably sensible not to give people an easy opportunity to drop anything unwelcome on the ship as it passes under the bridge !

Edited by Richard E

8 hours ago, ian buick said:

Some highly reliable gossip is pointing towards Monday.

I just hope that someone will be there on the bridge, in an official capacity or whatever, to get good overhead images of the flightdeck markings and layout. :photo:

Mike

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

Sadly in today's "interesting times" it's probably sensible not to give people an easy opportunity to drop anything unwelcome on the ship as it passes under the bridge !

4 hours ago, DAG058 said:

That's if it fits under the bridges! 

Yes, I think it`s a little bit of both: security for the ship`s company, and just a little concern for the tight safety margins going on here.

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

I just hope that someone will be there on the bridge, in an official capacity or whatever, to get good overhead images of the flightdeck markings and layout. :photo:

Mike

Second that! :thumbsup2:

Cheers, Ian

5 hours ago, DAG058 said:

:facepalm::laugh: Wouldn't that be so British, spend years building a ship in your front room, only to discover that it wont fit through the door...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ian buick said:

But they may well be daft enough to try!

Martian

7 hours ago, DAG058 said:

It will do because the communications pole mast folds flat. Getting under the bridge was something considered early on in the design process. 

I am looking forward to seeing QE go to sea. As with everyone else who has been involved in the design and build of these ships it will be a proud moment.

• Like 4

I hope to be going to watch and it will be exciting to see it as it has been 2 years and nine months since I visited her in Rosyth to hand over a model:

Img_2784.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Paul E said:

It will do because the communications pole mast folds flat. Getting under the bridge was something considered early on in the design process. 

I am looking forward to seeing QE go to sea. As with everyone else who has been involved in the design and build of these ships it will be a proud moment.

DE&S ?

Nope. From industry back to the bid stage (before the Alliance) and beyond. Involved in one form or another for nearly 9 years before escaping. I was just one of many thousands who contributed. 

• Like 1

Apparently, she is leaving the dockside this afternoon - providing the tides are favourable. She will then anchor in the Forth of Firth for some hours before passing under the three Forth bridges around midnight.

Dave

• Like 2

Good pictures of the flight deck here Dave C (have to admit I have the drawings on my desk, but not something I can share!

https://resources.baesystems.com/pages/search.php?search=!collection37612&k=15ab8af275

RS61616_DroneStill002.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Aircraft Carrier Alliance

FredT

Edited by gengriz
picture credit added
  • Like 4