Fifie fishing boat master

Hi all, just about to paint a master, in 4mm scale, of a Fifie, a Scottish fishing boat common all down the east coast of Britain at one time.

This model is for the scenic series of N-Drive's products.

003_zpsrbp7opvq.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 6

Well, thanks, folks. Nice to know it might be popular.  Apart from the capstan there's little left to do, hence nearing the paint, but it's currently raining (Hurray).

4mm scale is 1/76th. I will possibly be doing a similar item in 7mm (1/43rd scale) for the O gauge fans later.  Nev just wants some unusual scenic accessories in his range and I have little else to do and he knows I'm a boat man.

We will probably be doing a motor version of this later too.

I should have mentioned that there are also some white metal parts and that the whole deck is a separate item with the hull hollow.

Of course rigging in such a small scale is not easy to reproduce in quantity, so a diagram will probably be issued with each kit and builders will have to do that themselves.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 2

They were BIG boats, and carried huge sails. Two are restored in Scotland - Reaper FR.958 at the Fisheries Museum in Anstruther, http://www.scotfishmuseum.org/reaper  and the Swan LK.243  http://www.swantrust.com/

Worth checking out Swan at speed in a squall here (especially at ~1 min in! Pull back your volume a wee bit)

Edited by clipper
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Of course rigging in such a small scale is not easy to reproduce in quantity, so a diagram will probably be issued with each kit and builders will have to do that themselves.

You can't get much easier than a lugger  :)

Thanks for sharing them clipper, beautiful boats.

Lovely to see the Swan in her element

Kev

• Like 1

Swan's mizzen looks a bit overly aft.  I'm using Edgar March's published drawings but making the boat at about 45 feet to make production easier.

He also wants a Lowestoft ketch some time!

Martin

Hmm, gaff rigged, not really a proper Fifie, although the Shetlanders liked them.  But if there are only two (actually there are four) Fifies left out of thousands, you would hope that their distinctive rig would be kept too.  You don't see luggers that often.

The model IS a lugger.

• Like 1

Here's the model lacking only the capstan and 6 spoke wheel, which I've yet to make.  All the timberheads put in. The kit buyer will have to put a strip of 10 thou styrene round inside the timberheads.  There is no rail on a Fifie.  This model represents a "smaller" boat of about 45ft.

002_zpstoggo3j8.jpg

001_zpsxjchvrvn.jpg

Masts, spars, bowsprit and bumpkin, boiler flue, stove flue, thwarts, breasthooks, rudder, steering gear and spar crutch. Rake of masts is intentional.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 6

Hello,
It is positively superb.
If I continue to read the articles of this forum, I think to change activity and try the sewing!
Joking aside, it's really a great job.
Marc

Heavens, thanks, chaps. I put the pics up here only to show something different which I'm doing for a friend to help him out.

All this has to be cast so some compromises on sizes has to happen, but not too many we hope.  I've also done some other boats for him.  A small river/canal cruiser of the 30s and a modern small lobster boat.  And, quite differently, a 4mm scale wooden canal working boat, actually a model of our own boat as was, Heather Bell.  

Nev's problem is the day job gets in his way so much he has trouble keeping up!

Marc. if you take up sewing could you make the sails for my BIG (4 foot long) Victorian cutter?<G> We have 2 sewing machines here, a modern, which my wife can't get to work properly and an old treadle machine, which we can't get to do anything as neither of us know what to do with it!  And I have gaff cutter and a model of Bloodhound to make sails for!

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

We are quite refined on this forum, we like something different that's been well made :winkgrin: :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see a link to your previous work in 4mm scale

Be good to see pics of your Victorian cutter etc.............

Kev

Kev,

I'll have to see what I can find amongst the pictures and get them on photobucket.

Thanks for the interest.  May be a little while as it falls to me to water the gardens in the evening.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 2