1/48th GWH T-33, built as a Silver Star Mk3 of VU32, Royal Canadian Navy

Hiya Folks,

I`ve been wanting to built a RCN Silver Star for some time so when the GWH kit was released I had my perfect excuse,..... but was struggling to find some decals. Here is where my Canadian friend Jim Bates came to the rescue,....... he contacted his friend David Knights who kindly sent me part of the Canadian IPMS limited run sheet on the type,..... thanks fellas you are true gents. 

DSCF0588DSCF0587DSCF0591DSCF0593DSCF0596

DSCF0589DSCF0599DSCF0600

Here is the real thing;

Image result for silver star vu32

For the silver I used Tamiya rattle can Bare Aluminium and for the Day Glo I used a can of Halfords VW Orange applied over a base coat of white. The rest was brush painted, as was the matt varnish which helped to dull the model down, as per the real thing. This is a lovely model to build and is highly reccomended,...I used the Taiwan special edition as the original kit sold out so quickly.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 49

Lovely looking Silver Star Tony :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Tony, that is one fine rendition of the T-Bird.   Well done !!

I don't have the GWH kit, so bear that in mind when I make a couple of observations.

Canadian ladders went on the stbd side-GWH's ladder is close to the Canadian shape, the top three rungs followed the 'handrails'

Does the GWH kit come with a fuel vent for the aft section ??

The fuel filller locations on the tip tanks were further fwd and inbd a bit-not on top of the tank;

Canadian seats did not have the 'horns'

Nene powered T-33s had the extra vent on the port rear fuselage.

Nice job on the NMF and the Dayglo paint !!

1971Gimli2adjusted_zpskxtg6bzq.jpg

12227600_10153678582223774_1654199248531

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 2

Thanks everybody,.....glad you like it and cheers for saying so.

6 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Tony, that is one fine rendition of the T-Bird.   Well done !!

I don't have the GWH kit, so bear that in mind when I make a couple of observations.

Canadian ladders went on the stbd side-GWH's ladder is close to the Canadian shape, the top three rungs followed the 'handrails'

Does the GWH kit come with a fuel vent for the aft section ??

The fuel filller locations on the tip tanks were further fwd and inbd a bit-not on top of the tank;

Canadian seats did not have the 'horns'

Nene powered T-33s had the extra vent on the port rear fuselage.

Nice job on the NMF and the Dayglo paint !!

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony,...... I only realised about the filler points on the tip tanks the day after I applied the decals,...... by that time it was too late and the decals came from the spares box so I didn`t have any more,.... I may just try to remove them!

With this subject I was well out of my usual comfort zone so I knew that there would be some minor problems with vents etc which I can personally live with (I couldn`t see one on the main ref pic that I was working from) and I just didn`t notice the horns on the seats, although I don`t have anything else to add anyway ! As for the ladder,...... finding ref photos on the web was quite hard and I simply followed the kit instructions,....however the ladder is not fixed and so can be left off or fitted onto the other side,.... so no sweat there. Nice pics by the way,..... I have a Hobbycraft kit which I`d like to build as a camouflaged RCAF/CAF aircraft,

Cheers

Tony

PS,.... Yes the kit does include the fuel vent,......I did add it but the bloody think must have fallen off while moving the model for photographing it,...... I`m searching the floor for it now,.... you can see the hole for it just under the serial!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

On another note I see on the fin an emblem that was made to celebrate Canada's 100th year of Confederation as a Country (no longer a Colony of Mother England).  This year marks Canada's 150th anniversary.  Quite fitting!

gkcAccXRDgAQ==&scale=100 

• Like 1

Hello,Tony - At first,I thought this superb model couldn't be yours.I knew you wouldn't forget to add the propeller!?😳

Then it registered."Bless him, he's built a jet!"

Looking over these photos,I reckon you deserve a Gold Star for this beautifully built and finished 'Silver Star'.I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work.The sharp demarcation between colours,the crisp and clean finish really nails it for me.The crowning glory is that she carries the same serial as my beloved Vulcan.

Fabulous work as always,My Friend.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks again everybody for your very kind remarks! 

9 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Brilliant model Tony. Great paintwork and choice of subject.  I really think you're a Canuck at heart.  

Cheers.

Haha,.... cheers mate,....I`m just working my ticket and hoping that you`ll let me in! 

8 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Striking scheme and great finish too. What did you use for the metal surfaces?

Mick

Thanks Mick,....As I said in the original post mate it was Tamiya rattle can Bare Metal Silver stray paint,..... brushed with gloss varnish for the decals and then brushed with matt varnish to make it look more weathered.

30 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Tony - At first,I thought this superb model couldn't be yours.I knew you wouldn't forget to add the propeller!?😳

Then it registered."Bless him, he's built a jet!"

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Haha,.... oh thanks mate,..... yes I do sometimes build those pointy things without props! 

Thanks again everybody for your kind remarks,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2