UH-1 Vietnam Dust Off

Booty003

Hi Guys,

I have a few Hueys in the stash and will be building at least one as a 'Dust Off' bird - can anyone shed any light on how the litters / stretchers were configured and if this were different across the various Huey types that were used?

Cheers,

Phil

Cheers guys - I have already scoured Google images but haven't found any images that show the detail of the inside of the cabin.  Were they stacked 2 or 3 high Trenton Guy?

Phil

Booty,

Sorry for the long delay, been asleep at the switch. Two high. The UH-1 cabin wasn't very tall either. Can you tell I spent a fair amount of time in them during that wonderful year, 1968.

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:33 AM, Trenton guy said:

Booty,

Sorry for the long delay, been asleep at the switch. Two high. The UH-1 cabin wasn't very tall either. Can you tell I spent a fair amount of time in them during that wonderful year, 1968.

Thanks buddy,  the more I read and learn about that particular war the more I am in awe and deep respect.

Phil

50 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Phil,

You must have read Chickenhawk by Robert Mason?

Still one of my top ten reads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0552124192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499202346&sr=1-1&keywords=chickenhawk

One of my favorite AirCav books. The other 2 worth finding are "Lest We Forget: The Kingsmen, 101st Aviation Battalion, 1968" by William C. Meacham and "Wings of the Eagle: A Kingsmen's Story" by W. T. Grant.

Ironically, those books actually reference each other as Grant became a wingman of Meacham. 

Edited by Intruder503
I can't spell
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Phil,

You must have read Chickenhawk by Robert Mason?

Still one of my top ten reads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0552124192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499202346&sr=1-1&keywords=chickenhawk

I used to correspond with a pilot who flew with him and he said some of it was made up and other members of his sqn disowned him for the book?

• Like 1

Now that's a shame to hear that.

Maybe a touch of the Pierre Clostermann's?

It still manages to convey what it must have been like though.

And I'm very glad I didn't have to be there.

• Like 2

I have read Chickenhawk and Low Level Hell and will look up the others recommended by Intruder - Cheers guys.

Have got the mammoth 'The Cat From Hue' to make a start on when I get some free time! 

I am in 2 minds as to buy a kit to use the stretchers from or just do a bit of scratch building to make them - won't be anything too difficult to do (sprue and foil).

Phil

7 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The AB-205 Ambulance version of the excellent ESCI UH-1 provides two stacks of three stretchers, to be fitted one each side, as visible in the box art:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/135912-esci-9006-ab-205

The configuration with 3 stretchers on the side was and still is used by the Italian Army AB-205s, although generally there are only stretchers on one of the sides leaving the rest of the cabin available for medical personnel. The same helicopters however also employ the 2 stretchers on the rear configuration as recalled by Trenton Guy

I've ended up buying the old 1/72 Revell UH-1D SAR kit, comes with 6 stretchers so I can do a B and D flavour Dust-Off Huey, already have the decals.

Phil 

• Like 1