Academy 1/72 Corsair Question

Crossiant Oliver

Recently I bought Academy's 1/72 Corsair, and I'm gonna paint it a dark blue late war scheme (I volunteer at an air museum, the Corsair we have is that color so I have a lot of reference) I just wanted to ask for people who've built it, are the decals ok with Micro Sol and Set or are they the usual low quality Academy decals that silver and don't react to any decal solution? And if they are what is the best way to counter it? 

Thanks,

Oliver

I've found Academy decals go alright if placed over a glossy finish & bedded with Klear or an equivalent. That seems to prevent silvering effectively. Wet area decal is to go on with Klear, diluted a bit gives better working time, use corner of a paper towel to wick excess away, & then use a cotton bud to roll down. The Klear will pull the decal down into any panel lines as it dries.

Steve.

• Like 3

I concur with Steve.  Use a Klear/Future/Whatever-they-call-it-now gloss coat, put a drop on the model where the decal will go (diluted is fine) and apply the decal.  The "setting" drop seems to dissolve the underlying gloss coat and pull the decal down into the finish as it dries.

DG

• Like 2

I've had some success with Academy decals by using slightly hotter water to soak the decals, Micro Sol & Set and pushing them down with a bit cotton dipped in water that's just off the boil.

• Like 1