Raf type a cammo 1/48 plan view template

Lawzer

Folks,

after getting to the cammo stage on my 3rd type a scheme and trying (badly) to cut some tape to shape, has anyone already gone to the trouble of creating a pdf (or similar) total laid flat plan view?  One i'm doing at the mo is a hurricane but i have at least one spitfire to do.

if not, would anyone be interested if i were to attempt such a thing (foc of course!) as it struck me i have replicated this endevour with varying results and it (for me at least) would be a time saver.

guess you'd need to have a light table or at the least a window so you could lay tape over the template to draw the necessary.

i know commercial offerings are available but they ain't cheap......

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

Can I suggest you get the plan from the instructions, if they are included, knowing the actual wingspan of the actual aircraft, take it along to a photo-copy shop and have it enlarged,

I have done this with several kits and usual IIRC I have it copied onto 30g card which enables one to cut out the camouflage.

I use the same 'Mask' repeatedly therefore ensuring that all my aircraft carry the same camo pattern.

I am in the process of building two Lancasters . . .

35044318620_c3d1a40c38_z.jpg

34589402954_3468e83d9b_z.jpg

I did exactly the same for the 1/48th Tamiya Lancaster

21532475032_647f389302_z.jpg

Hope this helps 

Ian

• Like 1

Nothing as fancy as a PDF, but I’ve had a go at using the painting instructions as a template in my scan/print/photocopy Epson printer. Worked quite well, of course it won’t allow for the 3D nature of the kit, but gets you in the right ballpark.

An alternative is to go to one of those websites that show the instructions and copy/resize/print from those. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10063173/60/5

With a bit of jiggery-pokery you could knock out some wrap around stencils that fit, but you’ll have to allow for different manufacturers ideas of what a particular aircraft looks like.

Mart

• Like 1

The wings (and to a lesser extent) the fuselage from the paint guide yes but (it may be just me!) i have trouble mating the 2 together. I always seem to end up with lines that don't quite match. Mind you, i did get an"f" for art at school and i think even that was on the generous side ;)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

I knew a fellow who used a photocopier to make a pattern.  Once he had the right dimensions, enlarged or shrunk as needed, he used scissors to cut it out.

Then he used a ballpoint pen to trace the plan onto a thin sheet of rubber.  Scissors again to cut the template out, applied it to the model with stickum, possibly rubber cement or maybe it was rolled up cellotape, sticky side out. 

The sheet rubber isn't exotic, he used kitchen rubber gloves, slit on the fold.  Best of all, the template could be used repeatedly.  He built a lot of one type, Spitfires I think, and variations have been would be obvious.  The materials are cheap as dirt so any errors don't cost much.

• Like 1

I have a spitfire mask plan in lots of scales. 

Can send via, I don't know. Once I emailed them, do message apps carry PDFs? Is there a place they may be loaded for download? 

I use rubber backed curtain material. 

Grant

• Like 1

I must apologise for this post.  What it SHOLD have said was "has anyone made templates to do cammo a" as opposed to "i might try and do some".  Wine makes you uber confident in skills i most certainly do not posess and kinda switches off the common sense protocol ;) 

• Like 1

On 2017-6-20 at 9:04 PM, RJP said:

I knew a fellow who used a photocopier to make a pattern.  Once he had the right dimensions, enlarged or shrunk as needed, he used scissors to cut it out.

Then he used a ballpoint pen to trace the plan onto a thin sheet of rubber.  Scissors again to cut the template out, applied it to the model with stickum, possibly rubber cement or maybe it was rolled up cellotape, sticky side out. 

The sheet rubber isn't exotic, he used kitchen rubber gloves, slit on the fold.  Best of all, the template could be used repeatedly.  He built a lot of one type, Spitfires I think, and variations have been would be obvious.  The materials are cheap as dirt so any errors don't cost much.

Rubber-based painting masks for Spitfires? That's a :worms:

• Like 2

Thank You SimonT !

you found what I was looking for.

@ Lawzer   I have used these on a couple of Spitfires (MK Vb,VIII,IX) with good results. (sorry no photos currently available)