Good evening folks.

I have just completed the Allycat Bluebird K7 model for the Prototype and Experimental Group Build of which you can find my first WIP in that section.

I choose this model because, to be honest, I thought it would be a simple make and shake model but on doing my research I found that the model had several issues which I had to correct for my own satisfaction. They are:-

The nose profile is too sharp, it should be blunt.

The fin bullet is horizontal, it needs a slight drop on it to the rear.

The main fuselage is flat in profile and needed to have a slight hump.

2 air vents missing on fuselage rear section.

Detail missing on fuselage behind cockpit.

Sponson stabilising fin wrong shape.

Transom shape was to thick and flat, reshaped.

These were the issues I identified and there may be more but this is what I would try to correct. Some of it would need a fair bit of sanding, shaping and making but it had to be done.

In a nutshell the nose was built up with filler and reshaped/sanded.

A whole new fin and bullet section built from evergreen stock.

The fuselage was built up with varying thickness of evergreen strip and the gaps filled with copious amounts of filler, sanded and filled and sanded again until I was happy.

The 2 air vents were drilled out and expanded to create a rectangular shaped vent.

Two little humps behind cockpit and one on cockpit made from evergreen and Little Lens 1.5mm lens.

Kit supplied sponson fins altered to match originals, ie , square and not blade shaped.

Transom was scraped and sanded  to achieve a curve although I feel I did not quite achieve what I wanted on reflection.

The one thing I bottled on was the solid cockpit and canopy, I felt even if I could achieve a reasonable cockpit I could do nothing with the solid resin  canopy so I left that area grey and just fixed as is. This is a good reason to practice  vac forming so as I can replace poor canopies if needed.

Paint wise I went for Tamiya XF14/XF8 in about a 70/30 ratio to achieve the colour I think best matches pictures I viewed of Bluebird Blue. A few coats of Alclad Gloss coat allowed the decals to settle without issue using a little Mr Mark Setter to pull them down.

All other items were as the instructions.

I have enjoyed this build of an amazing vessel piloted by an amazing man and I hope you like her as much as I do.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

20170620_1824291_zpsmmbtm78x

20170620_1825581_zpsmp9jfkof

20170620_1825041_zpsfdy7fpiu

20170620_1825131_zpsaili5sbv

20170620_1824501_zpsmmedaqoq

20170618_1826561_zpsfwyvckcm

Edited by Head in the clouds.
  • Like 20

Great little model. The colour looks just right. Regards, Joe 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2017 at 9:45 AM, whitestar12chris said:

Cracking job, a job well done, brings back childhood memories of watching the record attempts on Black and white TV

Oh how I wish I could have done so however I have seen several world records being taken by the UK and will be watching the Bloodhound attempt. I am heartened that we are still capable of such feats and the spirit of the Campbells, Cobbs and others is still alive and well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant, I think you've caught it very well, all the more so given the short comings of the kit. Its nice to see the mount of another of my boyhood heros modelled. Looking at it though, whatever was he thinking of? :unsure::(

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking at it though, whatever was he thinking of?

Thanks Steve. I suppose he was like anyone explorer, they see the impossible and make it possible, without them our understanding of everything would be much less than it is now. I must admit that I had a similar thought about the upcoming Bloodhound, who will want to travel at 1000mph on land in a car, not me, it will be a devil to read the road signs :frantic:

• Like 1