Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire MKVlll

Hi Guys, my third Spitfire this time a MKVlll, superb kit to put together, another Tamiya gem. The only issue I had was deciding which version of " light sand " to use. Some were I thought to dark and others to light. In the end I decided on the Testors interpretation. Anyway here are a few pics so feel free to comment.

Cheers

Jim

1%2014_zpsqqor53nm.jpg1%2012_zpscgxw7mo7.jpg1%2011_zpsphvecrqu.jpg1%2010_zpsrabaxh66.jpg1%209_zpsazsvyhg2.jpg1%208_zpsywq8mg0l.jpg1%207_zpswn5dgsnz.jpg1%203_zpsbzocumvm.jpg1%202_zpsrzhk5xcq.jpg1%201_zpsrlb5urhh.jpg

Actually managed to get all the engine panels to fit  !!!

Next project will be a P51 Mustang.

• Like 10

I think the sand colour should be 'middlestone', which has more of an orange hue? That light sand has too much contrast against the earth...

Also the gun and exhaust stains are crude/simplistic and overdone compared to the rest of the plane, especially on something in that larger scale. 

But if you're happy with it then no worries 👍🏿

• Like 1

A really beautiful Spitfire indeed.

I didn't know anything about light sand; was it really that pale ?

Nevertheless the contrast between this light sand and the dark earth looks fantastic.

Great build.

Congratulations.

:goodjob::wow:

• Like 1

Indeed the RAF Desert Scheme comprised Dark Earth and Middlestone, normally over Azure Blue. The contrast of Dark Earth and Middlestone is much less. It's Middlestone which is much lighter, not the Dark Earth that was lighter - age and weathering notwithstanding.

RAFDS_1024x1024.jpg?v=1475604264 

• Like 2

A lovely looking Spitfire and nicely finished, but as others have commented, the lighter colour should be Mid Stone for Desert Scheme.

But there again, a Spitfire can never look wrong.

Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 1

Build looks great, but as others have mentioned about the light sand, it certainly stands out as different. 

You could still possibly correct it with Mid stone applied as a thin wash, but if you are happy with the current rendition ...

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Nice looking spit Jim. Colour call outs can be very fickle.  Would weathering tone things down a little.

Richard

• Like 1

I fell into this 'wing'ed' section by mistake, but the title caught my eye and I decided to have a look.

I'm no expert on Spits, or any other aircraft to be honest, but I can see that the camo isn't quite right. The contrast is harsh. Whilst that might actually be more effective as a desert camo scheme when compared to a lower contrast, I have to bow to the knowledge of others.

If I were you and I wanted to follow their advice I'd go for applying darker washes, or filters, over the 'sand'. Maybe build up several layers, drying between each to judge the effect before deciding whether to apply the next?

That's what I'd do if it had a turret and a bloomin' great big gun anyway.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, first of all thank you for your comments. I basically stuffed up when deciding on the camouflage colour, I followed the Tamiya guide which is TS-46 light sand which was only available in a rattle can. Instead of doing my own research I looked for an equivalent at my local hobby shop and found the Testors Sand FS33531 was the closest. After applying the paint by airbrush I realized it was that it was a bit on the light side. I was so happy with model overall as it is my forth model I have completed since returning to the hobby now that I have retired. The gun and exhaust stains may look amateurish to  some but I am happy with it as I am still finding my way. In normal light the camouflage contrast is no were near as vivid as in the photo's and I think if I try to rectify my mistake it will is highly likely that it will turn into a disaster. After all modeling is self satisfying and I am extremely happy with the result and will continue to strive and learn more with each model I make.

Thanks again to everyone.

Jim     :rage:

• Like 2

Hello, I just got back to the hobby too, 18 years hiatus.

Back in the eighties and nineties there was near to zero information available on any subject you would want build, save for the odd copy of FSM magazine or a few aviation books with poor quality photos.

Since coming back to the hobby, I try to gather the most information about the plane I am building, both from photos of the real thing (where colors may vary from exposure saturation etc) and from built models. This allows me to decide which color feels right, and also some mistakes can be avoided.

Congratulations on your build, I would not spend time correcting it, as it can get frustrating really fast. 

Keep it as it is, it will remind you of the nice time spent building it, and also of the need to do some previous research before starting a new build.

Regards.

Edited by dmachado
  • Like 1