A slow progressing Ton's up Lanc !

And now the other glitch

Air intakes...

38567046120_e1ddf8069c_b.jpg

It's moulded on the engine nacelle !!

since Phantom seem to have little air intake on each engines.....:violin: or I can also try to live with that glitch on my Lanc !!

No I'can't, I must fix it, so taking a mould seem a good option

Taking a mould of the big AND the little seem clever, Who know ???

38567046160_433fc9d1a9_b.jpg

Otherwise these Belcher... Bits are a great improvement on the shape of the nacelles ? Or Pods ? or Cowlings ?

Modelling today evening !!

Have a nice day Chaps !

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 2

Hello Dears,

Some PE on the Lanc ! I follow you spad but Sssslllloooooollllyyyyyy !

26536998588_80d6fc0786_b.jpg

I found back the text about PD 309, let some time to translate and I publish it here.

Dear spadgent, here are a mandatory adding for your Lancaster IMHO

26536998618_0b9ec3ebc7_b.jpg

Just check wich one you do need, I think that It has changed at the end of 1943

26536998598_5811b0ff82_b.jpg

Now, I will search for photos of the actual Phantom of the Ruhr, trying to check that :rant::rant: air intakes !

Ok Dears, I'll see you tomorrow with more..... Sanding :fight:

Have a nice modelling time !

sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Nice work CC that seat is hard WITH a Bending tool let alone without so.:worthy: to you sir. Slowly you say? You have paint therefore are ahead already.:rambo:

nice engine parts. I’m sticking with the kit parts for this. Is that bad? I’ll. Check the reference. I do have the guns though. I didn’t realise there were two types, I have the round ones. Fingers crossed they’re right too. Great progress CC.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice work CC that seat is hard WITH a Bending tool let alone without so.:worthy: to you sir. Slowly you say? You have paint therefore are ahead already.:rambo:

nice engine parts. I’m sticking with the kit parts for this. Is that bad? I’ll. Check the reference. I do have the guns though. I didn’t realise there were two types, I have the round ones. Fingers crossed they’re right too. Great progress CC.

Johnny.

I think that the kit parts are not wide enough and the shape is an issue too, if I remember well.

Must ask Pierre about the correction to do, he has done his first Lanc without the Belcher parts.

He has 2 more Lancaster on the stash....

Sincerely. 

CC

• Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 11:38 AM, corsaircorp said:

I think that the kit parts are not wide enough and the shape is an issue too, if I remember well.

Must ask Pierre about the correction to do, he has done his first Lanc without the Belcher parts.

He has 2 more Lancaster on the stash....

Sincerely. 

CC

I’ve just done some research and it looks like my kit is the later one with fixed engine necalles, along with other parts. :phew:

Edited by The Spadgent

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I e just done some research and it looks like my kit is the later one with fixed engine necalles, along with other parts. :phew:

wonderfull !! :yahoo::yahoo:

I read in a french review that the problem has been fixed by Tamiya, but I never had the kit itself at hand

Whatever, the change of plastic type is already a great improvement regarding the black and hard plastic used in the first batches.

I'm very glad for you !

Keep on Photoetching Pal, you did great !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Hello Dears,

I took my Lancaster in order to take some measurements and finally I worked on her only

Still riveting and riveting and riveting again.

Then sanding , repairing my mistakes, oooops It skidded !!

40463316292_2126c7f818_b.jpg

All tha rivets, one by one with the MDC tool, What a fascinating job !

40463316302_afaaf7c21f_b.jpg

I think that it will look great, except on the fuselage...

In some places the rivets are clearly standing proud !!:deadhorse::deadhorse:

So I will Crispinize with the Aber's rivets,  Stupid me !!:chair:

I tried the engine nacelle from Belcher Aaaaand

40463316322_02e02b8484_b.jpg

Never see that before, it plug in the wing like a little br... Like a hot Knife in butter ! Wonderfull !

40463316332_eb00627442_b.jpg

40463316372_f64622840c_b.jpg

Surprisingly, almost no joints ! Oh my riveting tool !

A tiny bit of putty and Tatzaaaam !

40463348942_cc1cb51084_b.jpg

40463348982_3b0273a769_b.jpg

Can't resist to show again that wonderfull engine control panel !

Can't do this with hairystick !

40463348922_d2966f1eb6_b.jpg

Ok Gents, More to come soon but I don't know when or where !

Have a great modelling time.

sincerely.

CC

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Hello dears,

It has been faster than expected !!

I was about to do the same as our Dear @The Spadgent has done to the floor, then I wondered ...

Why noy have a strong riveting directly on the floor itself ??

A way to improve my riveting skill, I did it free hand, OK It's a drunken riveter...

38715461820_eb72587368_b.jpg

As it's just to say that there will be something to see.... Hips:drink::drink:

And I still struggle with PE, but with my big fingers...

38715461810_460f37660d_b.jpg

If one of you wonder why mostly 1/48, the answer is here above !!

Ok Dears, Have a good night and a pretty good modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, bbudde said:

That looks great. Only once I had an 1:48 B-17f unpainted under my ceiling as a kid, but it was very impressive for me at that time So with all that details it has to be gorgeous to look at. Cheers.

Hello,

That will be big for sure, and there is also a Catalina, 2 B-17, 2 B-24 A wellington, A B-58 Hustler, will have a Halifax and a Stirling.

The will be cabinet must be large :P

Oh I also have a B-52 and a B-36 but they are at 1/72, I'm not that crazy, but maybe in fact.

When I was a kid I had a B-45 in my bedroom, I always feel an envy to fly in that bird ! Missed !!

Then I received  1/50 F-4 Phantom... The venom was in my vein... Too late ! I was addicted and still am !

Thanks for the Kind words

Auf wiedersehen !

CC

Edited by corsaircorp
  • Like 1

Well didn’t those engine parts fit well.:heart:

excelent work.  You’re riveting everything too!! Blimey that’s dedication right there, I don’t think I’m going that way, the wings look ok to me. I can’t imagine making every rivet one at a time, you have the gift of patience dear CC.  Good luck with the paint. Are you not priming? I’m desperate to get paint on mine. Time is short at the moment alas. :fool:

Johnny

• Like 2

Hello John,

I surely will have a coat of primer, You've been brave enough to make such a great job in the bomb bay, mine will be left closed.

Enough with the job left to do, rivet 1, rivet 2, rivet 3, in fact the Belcher parts are recessed, so I must engrave trhe wing.... And so on !

I can be patient, I might be to be honest ! Spend 4 years in Africa, that's a school of patience :rofl:

That's why I did'nt work on her every day, I'm still like the little boy I was long ago... Touching at all that models... Pleasure ! for sure !

Hope that you enjoy your R&R in Wales, not too cold I hope, I hear from Emma, not a good new at all

Poor Irish guys, Hope that @Grey Beema is firmly tied to the floor, the same for the Baron.

What a Sh... winter this year, gale, rain, snow and cold, we have -7° right now.

Take care my friend and enjoy !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Thanks CC. Back from Wales now, just before the snow hit. It’s -7 here tonight too. Still we have to get to work every day, busy time for us at the moment. :christmas:Typical as I just wanna do some lancaster painting. :heart:.

Take care in the cold.

Jont.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks CC. Back from Wales now, just before the snow hit. It’s -7 here tonight too. Still we have to get to work every day, busy time for us at the moment. :christmas:Typical as I just wanna do some lancaster painting. :heart:.

Take care in the cold.

Jont.

Hello John,

Good to know that you get back home safely. For that while, I'm home because of pain in the hip !

A looooong story but I think that I have a surgery to replace the hip, I tried to not to but.

So I'm safe from working on the highway with that weather, but last week we suffered a lot !

That's life ! @perdu Know well what I mean since he was doing the same crazy job !:party:

Take care too and enjoy the painting of your Lanc !

Sincerely.

CC

• Sad 3

CC I didnt want surgery for my knees but since I did life has been much better, if THE MAN wants to fix you I would advise letting them

Not that I want to go back on the road, thirty years was enough for me

I admire you guys for still being out there for the rest of us

And I admire the Lancaster too, wow those engines are something else 

(Oh yes, nice rivetting too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hope that you enjoy your R&R in Wales, not too cold I hope, I hear from Emma, not a good new at all

Poor Irish guys, Hope that @Grey Beema is firmly tied to the floor, the same for the Baron.

What a Sh... winter this year, gale, rain, snow and cold, we have -7° right now.

Take care my friend and enjoy !

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC, thanks for you good wishes.  

We are bracing ourselves here and trying to ensure everything that needs to be tied down is tied down.  The Taoiseach (Prime Minister) advised everyone to stay indoors from 1600 today until 1200 tomorrow with a weather Red Alert (all very exciting).  I'm in the East of the country as is @Dermo245 but I think @noelh is over in the West, hopefully they will have their snow holes dug by now as well.  

On the bright side, due to the snow Christmas FM radio station is going on air today for one day.... And there are lots of very funny videos about the panic buying of bread doing the rounds (in the local mini market the baker was nearly assaulted during the bread delivery by a woman who wanted 10 loaves, she the went on to buy 10 two litre cartons on milk - maybe she knows something we don't)..

Meanwhile my my son who took himself of to Venice for a couple of days early this week, is now stranded in Rome unable to get a flight home (well I can think of worse places to be trapped)...

So working from home today and I might just have to respray my Corsair wheel wells and do a bit of work on my Skua....

• Like 2

Hello Dears,

This evening saw some riveting done on the Lanc

and some PE ... Nothing Worth a photo

I worked on these 2 future RFI without WiP

39889008484_5bfd991d37_b.jpg

It will be astonishing if the F4B-4 is finished in '18 But the Stormovik is almost ready for painting and the frightening F6 too !

Hope that you enjoy your modelling time !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Hello dears,

Heavy surgery today, The Windows has to be moved backward, 3mm ?

Here we go !

40734447751_2af062b412_b.jpg

will buy some PPP, That look great and I will try to have the same result than @The Spadgent, he has a pretty good idea !

Then I will move the seat and table backward too.

I looked and "Phantom" did'nt carry the H2S, Sooooo !

40734447761_e0fa3c1a9d_b.jpg

Let's have that ugly bump out ! Sanding sanding sanding !

Look Tamiya San gave me a little surprise !! :angry::angry::angry:

40734447791_eedc96b680_b.jpg

A very well placed sink mark, whatever I will correct my first riveting, A little bit more or less...

I also did prepare this !

40734447801_126fe25643_b.jpg

Little air intake as I need 4 of it, and mind yourself the left one did'nt to the right...

So I must have another print when this one is done !

Aaaaand

40734447831_3b32bd1c3b_b.jpg

The tropical ones, Who knows ??

It will be helpfull one day... On another project...:rolleyes:

Thank for watching Gents , I will be less present in the 5 next days...

Take care and have an happy modelling time.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, Grey Beema said:

Hi CC, thanks for you good wishes.  

We are bracing ourselves here and trying to ensure everything that needs to be tied down is tied down.  The Taoiseach (Prime Minister) advised everyone to stay indoors from 1600 today until 1200 tomorrow with a weather Red Alert (all very exciting).  I'm in the East of the country as is @Dermo245 but I think @noelh is over in the West, hopefully they will have their snow holes dug by now as well.  

On the bright side, due to the snow Christmas FM radio station is going on air today for one day.... And there are lots of very funny videos about the panic buying of bread doing the rounds (in the local mini market the baker was nearly assaulted during the bread delivery by a woman who wanted 10 loaves, she the went on to buy 10 two litre cartons on milk - maybe she knows something we don't)..

Meanwhile my my son who took himself of to Venice for a couple of days early this week, is now stranded in Rome unable to get a flight home (well I can think of worse places to be trapped)...

So working from home today and I might just have to respray my Corsair wheel wells and do a bit of work on my Skua....

Hello Grey,

I hope that everything went all right for you, your family and friends !

In my region here, it's about the same... Lots of old peoples have plenty of stock !

Who Knows... Look in the US, how many antinuclear shelter with plenty of food and so on...

Hope that your son has made it back too and I agree, trapped in Rome sound "Not too bad"

Have a nice day !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hi CC,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Survived OK.  There was a lot of snow here (for Ireland) in fact it snowed from the Wednesday through to the Saturday evening.  The shops (when they were open) had pretty much empty shelves but they had beer, wine and chocolate so we managed to survive on that!  I went back to work on Monday.  My son got home on Tuesday evening from Rome so that's a travel claim we need to sort out with the airline.  

It did give me a me a chance to get my BPF Corsair into an RFI though so it wasn't all bad...

How did you get on?

• Like 1

Hello Grey,

Here it has been "Holydays on ice" for 2 mornings !

But the there was a lot of unexperienced skatters !

Pretty good days for bodyshop owners ! they got load of work for the next weeks !

We make it through unharmed ! Thanks gods or anyone up there !

We did'nt get any snow finally, some tiles that left their job on my roof and that's all !

Can't wait to see your Corsair !:dog::dog:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The epic (and last) flight of PD309

In the morning of January the 17th in 1945, the Young Jean Albert (9) was standing and contemplating a huge smoky crater in the field just beside the farm where he was and still is living in Sart Risbart (Brabant province)

The snow surrounding was blackened , ashes from the fire and lots of bits of metal were strewn everywhere. The crash of an allied bomber has ravaged the field luckily missing the farm from a mere 150fts.

An US jeep came in, the american soldiers spend some time looking and searching for Something, then they go away and never came back. Rumours are spreading that the crew was safe and bailed out in the vicinity of Jodoigne.

As the wreck was a nuisance for pastoral works, the farmer call on some scrapdealers, but they just picked up the parts that are in surface, the crater was then filled as they can...

And the bomber stayed buried in Brabant's clay and in people's memories for some 65 years !

In 2010, Jean Albert (74) take contact with Nicolas Clinaz following a broadcasted report about the discovery and unhearthing of a french MS 406 fighter in Vellereilles lez Brayeux (Hainaut)

Jean Albert offered to cover the fees of the operation, if the bomber can be retrieved out from his field AND if the place can be cleaned up thoroughly.

Prospections start soon after the call, firstly, we had to know wich is the buried Aircraft, since a british bomber is too little an indication !

After some researches, Nicolas concluded that it will surely be a Lancaster Mk I from 576th Sqdn RAAF lost on the night of the 16th to 17th of January, but as it is so oftenly the case,

The point of crash recorded in the official documents is not accurate and did'nt correspond to Sart Risbart.

Some researches are conducted in U.K and Australia, contacts were made with the childs of the pilot, and a complete picture was slowly drawing.

It is a tribute to the reliability of the rugged Lancaster and also to the courage and devotion to duty of the whole crew.

The 16th of January in 1945, 18 Lancasters from the 576th Sqdn based at Fiskerton are readied for a bombing mission.

The load carried weight a good 5 tons of bombs, a "Cookie" and 12 500pds bombs, the target was a synthetic oïl refinery in Zeitz-Troglitz, some 30 Kms in the South west of Leipzig.

The total of bombers involved was 500. Among them was UL-W2, she already have 46 war missions acomplished, The F/O Clarence Roy Pegg, an australian from the Queensland is an experimented "captain" with around 25 war missions Under his belt.

F/O Bernard Fitzpatrick, Navigator, is born the 7th of March 1920 in Scarborough (NSW)

F/O Alfred Roy Crameri, Bomber, is born the 17th of May 1916 in Glebe Point (NSW)

Sgt Ronald Pearson, Flight engineer

F/Sgt Ronald Taylor, Radio, is born the16th of June 1924 in Yatala (SA)

Sgt Rubin Aintzen, upper turret gunner 

And F/Sgt Arthur Alfred Shearer, Rear gunner,  is born the 16th of May in Cairns (QLD)

Most of the crew are Aussies but the flight engineer was an englishman, and the upper Gunner is a jew born in Poland, seem to have the Belgian nationality  and lived in Belgium until the german invasion.

He will became a recognized historian, reporter and writer, working for the BBC and Reuters. He devoted his carrer to the study of the persecution of the jewish people.

PD 309 took off Under a very cloudy sky !!

On the flight to the target, the inner port engine got some troubles and had to be shuted down and propeller feathered. Although a gradual loss of altitude, the pilot pressed on with the mission and drop its load to the target from 13.000fts.

The already crippled bird was soon spotted and tracked by Flak projectors and soon was hit in the #1 engine. With full trim and great difficulties, the pilot make his best to get back in the allied lines.

But with both port engines lost, The Lancaster was very hard to fly and was now constantly loosing altitude.

The Pilot and flight engineer take the bet to restart #1 engine and the Lancaster is now stabilized at 8000Fts, but alas, it don't last long, since the engine catch fire !

The fire extinction went well and in order to save some altitude, they then tried to restart #2 engine but the result was an explosion wich peppered the fuselage with schrapnells luckily, nobody has been hurt !

At this time, the Navigator estimated their position around Bruxelles, they were not yet there in fact, The order of bailing out was given, 2 men jumped and then the exterior starboard engine catch fire too

Surely over sollicited by the circumstances of that flight.

Clarence Pegg stayed at the command for some more seconds, allowing the rest of his crew to bail out, when he finally get out of the doomed bomber, he was at a mere1000fts.

They both landed safely in the vicinity of Jodoigne, the upper gunner suffer from a sprained ankle since his boots were ripped of by the wind in his chute.

They are back in Fiskerton on the 20th of January and are debriefed on the 21st.

The following enquiry has been laudatory for the crew's efficiency and told about the gallantry and courage of the pilot who choose to carry on the mission even with a dead engine.

F/O Pegg has been awarded the DFC for his courage and determination.

Clarence Roy Pegg is born on the 30th of September 1914 in Bundaberg, a tiny village in the Queensland. Young Clarence was willingly helping his parents in agricultural tasks in sugarcane fields.

But he was found of mechanics, he opened his garage and get married in 1937, he then entered the RAAF.

At the end of his tour of duty in Europe, he made it back home, Buy a Mobil garage in Brisbane and resume working.

His children feel pride in their father accomplishments although he never speaked too much of his war in Europe.

The children still have some souvenirs as his Caterpillar pin, silk map and uniforms.

Another "Silent Hero" Clarence Roy Pegg passed away the 2th of October 1991.

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Please Gents,

It is a traduction and adaptation of a text writed by Nicolas Clinaz, the guy who directed the researches.

I make my best to have a good and understandable relation of the story

But, I'm not completely fluent n English, so do not be too picky on orthograph and grammar matters.

I will apologize for that.

Hope that the story is interesting for you both.

have a nice modelling time !

CC 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1