1/48 Mirage IIID, A3-111 - 77SQN RAAF **Finished**

Romeo Alpha Yankee

My first (and hopefully not my last) entry will be the Heller 1/48 B/C kit converted to a D with the Red Roo conversion. Decals will come from the Caracal RAAF Mirage sheet.

As I recall I have removed some parts of a sprue and attempted to start rescribing. I will dig the kit out and post some pictures shortly.

WB-043-01.jpg

From ADF Serials Website

34805269474_f31ba4fd9c_b.jpg

My photo

• Like 4

Ray,

Welcome, particularly with a subject that you have a personal connection with.

I've got a couple of Heller IIIB/C's in the stash, IIRC, I even began rescribing one of them too.  What does the Red Roo conversion provide? Presumably rear fuselage and jet pipe?  What's the plan for the cockpit, I think I was going to use a couple of very old Eduard etched sets and a couple of resin ejection seats for mine.

Good luck with your build.

• Like 1

Thanks Wez,

The Red Roo conversion includes a new nose, jet pipe, replacement rocket bay tank fairing, a couple of Martin Baker OM4 seats and a couple of sidewinder rails.

35606940466_e80b0bfe02_b.jpg

I also found a couple of High Planes Martin Baker OM6 seats in the pack which the aircraft had fitted at the time.

35646583485_7ab6c44f6c_b.jpg

Finally here are the kit contents :D

35606940566_b59eaaa6c3_b.jpg

For the cockpit, I have the seats and a couple of passengers and may be creative with how it is displayed.

I could also do A3-103 as I also went for a jolly in that one as well.

34805269564_e0dd4cd8fd_b.jpg

But we will see if I can get organised and I have time

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Wez said:

There's a lot more to that Red Roo conversion than I thought, is it still available?

Just checked the Red Roo website and it not visible, I expect there may be some on the second-hand market though.

37 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

Just checked the Red Roo website and it not visible, I expect there may be some on the second-hand market though.

Thanks Ray, I'll keep an eye out, some Red Roo stuff made it to the UK and can be seen at shows so I might get lucky.

• Like 1

Excellent choice Ray, I was considering something similar myself but not in RAAF markings.

The conversion I have isn't by Red Roo it's by an Argentinian company whose name escapes me at the minute. Will have to dig it and the kit (one of the kits) from the stash and have a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent choice Ray, I was considering something similar myself but not in RAAF markings.

The conversion I have isn't by Red Roo it's by an Argentinian company whose name escapes me at the minute. Will have to dig it and the kit (one of the kits) from the stash and have a look.

There is Aconcagua models in Argentina.

Nice choice by the way!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Will be watching this one Ray,

Amazing to see that the Kinetic 2 seater has just been released, where they watching and waiting for this GB to start?

I have ordered one, so we will see how the 2 compare. Though I know the Kinetic kit should be streets ahead.

Nice choice!

Anyone remind Graphy Air, a French company from the 80's, doing PE, decals and also some resin?

They produced a nice OD in 1/72, using Heller's IIIE/5 kit with a resin fuselage and parts, some PE and a big decal sheet with option for an ARDU machine, orange and white.

I had this kit in my stash once... and sold it together with about fifty others for a handfull of peanuts... Life, you know.

I remember Graphy-Air, they did a PE detail set for the Heller 1/72nd Ouragan which I used and an Etendard IVP conversion kit also for use with the Heller 1/72nd IVM kit, I never got around to using that and sold it to a fellow BM'er.

I never knew they did a Mirage IIIOD conversion, I would have got one of those!

You're watching the wrong thread if you want to see it done properly Mike.

I will fumble my way through. Mind you, I have a couple of the new Kinetic kits on the way and one of them may mysteriously replace the Heller kit :D

On 20/06/2017 at 04:46, TrojanThunder said:

mirageride17Dec862.jpg photo

Excellent photo!  You grinning insanely from the back seat of a Mirage. :D

I must admit, if I was in the back seat of a Mirage, I would be grinning insanely as well!   :lol: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

I will fumble my way through. Mind you, I have a couple of the new Kinetic kits on the way and one of them may mysteriously replace the Heller kit :D

Not to be a damper...........but the Kinetic kitty is not a shake and bake ....ask me how I know........It maybe be partly due to my hamfisted ways....but everyone I asked and seen builds had issues.......but I will be 98% sure to pick up the two seater....and if my local shop brings it in on time............I will be building it for this g/b along with a smaller high planes single seater............

Rgds

Thanks, Brian, I have seen a few Kinetic builds. I already have the single seater in the stash. I have heard with some TLC it goes together well.

I would prefer an injected kit over a injected/resin hybrid any day. So we will see how I go....

Well, my Kinetic IIID kit has arrived, I think I will save myself some rescribing and just use it instead. I may build the Heller conversion as well as a desktop model as well, watch this space.

Whichever way you choose to go Ray, I'm sure you'll get a great result.

Hopefully, the Kinetic kit will save you some rescribing!

8 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Well, my Kinetic IIID kit has arrived, I think I will save myself some rescribing and just use it instead.

That, my friend, is just downright cheating !:fight:

No more free decal sheets for YOU !

:P

mike

• Like 3