Sergeant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers - Tommy's War - 54mm - FINISHED

Been enjoying watching the great builds in this GB and realised there's no plucky Tommies in the mix yet! So I'm going to jump in with a Sergeant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Ploegsteert 1915 by Tommy's War. I've made one of their figures before, for the Non-injected GB, and they are lovely, beautifully sculpted and molded. Not a huge amount to the construction, most of the work will be in the painting and I think I'll do a nice little base.

Got some suitable reference material and am raring to go!

Cheers

Segan

fusil2_zpsqdscbans.jpg

fusil1_zpsjg34pemo.jpg

fusil3_zpsllpvxxjg.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone!

On 6/21/2017 at 6:45 AM, Old Man said:

Good to see this, Sir!

I got one of their figures just a few days ago, a rating in the RND at Antwerp, and was figuring to enter it here if I get far enough ahead on my Flycatchers.

I know the one, very nice and welcome change from all the green/brown uniforms. You wont be disappointed, they are lovely figures to work on.

Cut off the pouring blocks and attached a wire to hold him, working on the head separately for now. Boshed in the base colour for the uniform (vallejo middlestone) and the puttees (vallejo Ehlish uniform) which I've also done my first pass at highlight/shadows. I like to do the shading and highlighting for the main areas and then go back into and work over them again as needed. Pondering what colour to do his "Stinker" goatskin vest, a lot of them seem to be various shades of off white but I've seen some that are patches of different browns/blacks depending what animal gave up it's hide for the cause!

cheers

fusil4_zpscyomyyqx.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 4

Thanks Bodmin!

Little progress, shaded the trousers and started work on the webbing. Leaving the arms till the end I think. Quick sketch I did last night (post glass of grog) of what I'm doing with the base. Duckboards over boggy ground with some dead grass. Probably inch and half square I think, maybe two. The Imperial War Museum online photo library is treasure trove of reference material.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205024535

fusil5_zps47zv8idd.jpg

Cheers

• Like 5

I love the build so far, and the concept for the base.  A visit to your local coffee emporium might provide you with the duckboards in the form of wooden coffee stirrers for your base.  A bit of digging with a sharp implement and they will be unrecognisable.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 0:25 AM, Grey Beema said:

I love the build so far, and the concept for the base.  A visit to your local coffee emporium might provide you with the duckboards in the form of wooden coffee stirrers for your base.  A bit of digging with a sharp implement and they will be unrecognisable.

Nice tip. thank you!

• Like 1

Hi Segan,

great choice!

Not as colorful as a Waterloo soldier, but extremely meaningful nonetheless. Subtlety in painting de rigueur.

It will be beautiful

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2017 at 9:24 AM, jean said:

Hi Segan,

great choice!

Not as colorful as a Waterloo soldier, but extremely meaningful nonetheless. Subtlety in painting de rigueur.

It will be beautiful

JR

Thanks JR, I do love a 19th Century redcoat but yes there's something quite pleasing about getting the subtleties of later uniforms down right. Think the next thing I'll be doing is bust of 91st Regiment of Foot, so redcoat and tartan! 

Little more done. Not had too much time of late but got the "Stinker" done and worked on the webbing. Going to paint up the rifle next and attach it before I finish the webbing and details. 

fusil7.jpg

Made a start on the base, thank you to Grey Beemer for tip about coffee stirrers, they work a treat for planking! Not gonna get too concerned about colours for the wood as it's all gonna be muddy.

fusil6.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just added the rifle sling. It's moulded slightly too short, as it would undoubtedly break off, so a little extension is required. Red wine to the rescue and the foil makes excellent straps in this scale. I still haven't painted the arms so that's why they look rough. Hopefully get them done this weekend and move onto the head. 

fusil8.jpg

Here is the headless ghost floating along the battlefield. Been working on the base, going to add some standing water and trim the grass a bit. The figure is from winter 1914/15 and by his relaxed pose I'm imagining a little back from the front lines so everything is pretty muddy but still a little bit of vegetation around. 

fusil9.jpg

• Like 3

Coming along very nicely.  Tommy's War figures are a real pleasure to paint, casting detail and quality are always top notch.

On 7/25/2017 at 1:42 PM, Hewy said:

Superb painting, and a top job so far on the vignette, very nice 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn!

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely base, and the figure painting isn't too shabby either...

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian!

2 hours ago, AndrewE said:

Coming along very nicely.  Tommy's War figures are a real pleasure to paint, casting detail and quality are always top notch.

Thanks Andrew, yeah they are great, this is the second one I've painted and I think they're superb.

Just about finished the head, hopefully this weekend head and body will finally meet then a few tweaks on the base and I'll be done! 

Cheers

Segan

fusil10.jpg

• Like 2

I'm calling this done. Lovely little model to work on, absolute pleasure to paint. Was my first attempt at doing a watery base, needs a bit of work but passes for a muddy Flanders field. 

Cheers for looking

Segan

fusil11.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...