Revell Hunter FGA 9 1/32

I've had the revell hunter for a while and wanted to build it but just haven't had the time since i gave been very busy for the last few months with exams. However, with my final exam this week the group build seemed like the perfect motivation to start the hunter as a summer project, since i never seem to finish models without the pressure of a GB! Im going to be building the hunter without aftermarket parts although i may get aftermarket decals as i am very tempted by the idea of modelling XE601, the 'rasberry ripple' hunter which was sold for spares use a few years ago, as it is a much more exciting scheme than the green and grey camoflage.  

I've been taking abit of a break from modelling and this will be the first ket of the year for me, and also my first 1/32 kit so im excited to see what it will be like making a larger model. So far i have only started the ejector seat but more progress should follow soon.

boxart.jpg

Work has started on the ejector seat. I need some new paints as they have all started to dry up!

IMG_20170619_204358[439]

IMG_20170619_204410[438]

Will

• Like 3

A bit more progress. The panel needs a bit more work. after a lot of fiddling trying to paint the dials with a brush i figured out that i could use a scalpel to scrape the painf off the needles and raised details to make them look like they have been painted! To paint the side panels i used a base coat of of tamiya black paint and then did a coat of railmatch weathered black, followed by a black wash which gives the illusion of slightly faded black paint that seems to be in most of the pictures of hunter cockpits. 

I had some issues finding what how the different buttons on the side panels were painted since most cockpit photos are just of the front panel so i used a bit of modellers license. Hopefully ill be able to get the cockpit together soon but first i have to put the decals on the ejector seat.

IMG_20170620_185353

IMG_20170620_185346

• Like 1

I have made a bit more progress, the seat is in and some final weathering and washes have been done on the seat and the bottom of the cockpit tub. They dont show up so well on my phone camera. At the moment im waiting for some filler and new paints to arrive before i start to put the fuselage together, as its been so long since ive made anything that my filler has all dried out and the paints are more like tar! Im still not decided on the final scheme, i would like to do XE601 but i cant seem to find any decals for the rasberry ripple hunters so i may just use the stock decals. 

IMG_20170622_144506[446]

IMG_20170622_141015IMG_20170622_141022

So far im really enjoying this kit. the fit is excellent and for £20 its probably the best value for money you can get in this hobby! the detail is not really 1/32 level and it is more like a blown up 1/48 kit but it still looks excellent.

Will

• Like 1

This reminds me I must get round to repainting my attempt at Miss Demeanour one of these days, the 1:32 scale Hunter cockpit is such an interesting canvas to paint on :)

The hunter is progressing nicely although i now have to wait for some paints which have been very slow to arrive. I have finished the cockpit (although a bit more was done after the photos were taken to improve the paint finish of the black paint) and also doing some odd jobs such as filling mould release marks on the flaps (which i forgot about until after they had been painted, so they will need another few coats of paint) and also a bit on the nose where it was damaged during sprue removal. i have painted the struts and the wheel hubs along with the gear doors but they need another coat as the wash went slightly wrong as it wasnt thin enough.

IMG_20170626_175118

IMG_5404

IMG_5403

During the painting of the gear i had a very near miss where i tripped on the air hose between the airbrush and the compressor, pullint the airbrush and the jar of dirty thinner that it was resting on off the table and onto a new carpet! i dont think i have moved that fast in years, but fortunately i was able to mop it up before the carpet stained :whistle: hopefully nobody will notice! more filling will follow tomorrow and hopefully then ill be able to start assembly of the fuselage and wings. I have got some klear for the first time so im excited to see how much of a difference it will make to the canopy and also how it will improve decalling.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for the ;ack of updates, progress has been slow as i had to wait for ages for paints and then when i put the fuselage and wings together they wouldn't fit! it seems the intake is misshapen and so the wing cant fit into its slot. I had to do a lot of cutting with the dremel and its a bit of a mess now but at least the wing actually goes on! hopefully now i can finally get onto painting as long as i dont have any issues with the tail.

T2bWrCA.jpg

0zBJ80i.jpg

WNvTplX.jpg

• Like 1