1/72 Sword F3D-2 Sky knight

Hi everyone. Here are a few pics of the 1/72 Sword F3D-2 Sky knight I just finished up this afternoon. The kit builds up nice except you will have to address the canopy fit issue by sanding the lower surface where it meets the fuse, its slightly larger than it should be. You will have to weigh down the nose area so its not a tail dragger as well. Other than that its a very nice kit to build. Hope you like the way it turned out.

34563405833_73ec70efcc_b.jpgDSC00078 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

34563403083_fda02b0cef_b.jpgDSC00079 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35206588232_05f2e1dc37_b.jpgDSC00080 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35206586902_e9194a8e95_b.jpgDSC00081 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35206585502_31a75e724b_b.jpgDSC00082 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

34530326384_2e4150811e_b.jpgDSC00084 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35243325341_8548f714c9_b.jpgDSC00088 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35206561622_486c8a6b4b_b.jpgDSC00092 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

35206559102_2c1751ab79_b.jpgDSC00093 by Steve Cook, on Flickr

• Like 50

Hi wisco8,

the Skyknight is so much nicer in grey/white than in dark sea blue, or so I think! Yours is superb and the weathering is just right.

Congrats

JR

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi wisco8,

the Skyknight is so much nicer in grey/white than in dark sea blue, or so I think! Yours is superb and the weathering is just right.

Congrats

JR

I'm glad you added "or so I think" because I think exactly the opposite.  I'd much rather see it in dark sea blue.  However I do agree with you that he did quite a nice job on the model.

Steve,

You did a bang-up job on your F3D-2, both the construction and the finish- one of the nicest builds of the Sword kit I have seen so far. I hesitated posting this, as I do not in any way mean for it to be a criticism of your model, which it certainly is not, but in the interest of providing an accurate description of a fairly significant error that Sword made when they  measured and photographed the example that they used to make the kit that was on display at the Museum of Marine Corps Aviation. There were two F3D-2's that were bailed to the Raytheon Corporation for use in their  missile trials- mainly the AIM-7 Sparrow. To provide the wiring and power to the many sensors and recording devices mounted in these two airframes, external  cable ducts were fitted on both sides of the airplanes that ran from front to back, much like those fitted to EE Lightnings.  Operational Skyknights did not have these ducts fitted; one of the test aircraft was donated to the museum, who repainted the airplane in USMC  Korean War black night fighter scheme and markings- they did not remove the cable ducts from the airplane, and when Sword examined the airplane, they did not realize that the cable ducts were not fitted to operational Skyknights, so they molded them on the fuselage halves of the kit. When I read the kit reviews and none of them seemed to comment on this, I sent an email to Michael Benolkin at Cybermodeler so that he could also check and confirm my findings, which he did and was nice enough to put an addendum of this error on his original kit review so that others might be made aware of the issue, which is easily fixed by sanding them off of the fuselage halves. I have attached a link to the article below for everybody's information.

Heckuva job on your model, and you had no way of knowing that the airplane they molded was not based on an operational airplane, but a test mule; You would have to remove the markings you so beautifully applied and add dayglo panels for the kit to be an accurate model of one of the two Raytheon test aircraft, one of which was donated to the museum. I probably wouldn't have caught the error when I got my Sword kit, if I hadn't been actively collecting photos and going through all of my print references on the airplane while I was waiting for it to arrive. The Naval Fighters monograph on the F3D as well as the Squadron In Action have photos and text describing the two Raytheon Skyknights, if anyone is interested. You've still got the prettiest F3D I have seen in God's Own Scale!

Regards,

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/swo/kit_swo_72074.shtml

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

when Sword examined the airplane, they did not realize that the cable ducts were not fitted to operational Skyknights

Thanks for the head-up on that 72Modeler.

Admittedly, I'm not about to get this kit soon (though I just might change my mind tomorrow, you never know).

But I do get enthused when another modeller's knowledge on a subject is imparted in a gracious and interesting manner.

It's the kind of feedback I really enjoy seeing on Britmodeller. :clap2:

That is a great build of the Sword kit, absolutely flawless.  A kit that I am trying to get my hands on!!

Very good and useful info from 72Modeler too.

7 hours ago, spaddad said:

Tasty

I suppose the 1/48th  kit has the same problem?

Spadad,

1/48 is not my favored scale, but I went back and looked at sprue shots and review articles for the Encore/Czech Model 1/48 F3D-3 kit, which I guess is the one that you were asking about. It appears that the kit only has a cable duct on the RH side of the fuselage, from the intake to the base of the radome, so this can easily and quickly be removed and you will have a proper operational Skyknight  I have posted a link to the kit review/sprue shots below. I say go for it!

Mike

http://kits.kitreview.com/f3d2skyknightreviewpb_1.htm

On 6/20/2017 at 7:00 PM, 72modeler said:

Steve,

You did a bang-up job on your F3D-2, both the construction and the finish- one of the nicest builds of the Sword kit I have seen so far. I hesitated posting this, as I do not in any way mean for it to be a criticism of your model, which it certainly is not, but in the interest of providing an accurate description of a fairly significant error that Sword made when they  measured and photographed the example that they used to make the kit that was on display at the Museum of Marine Corps Aviation. There were two F3D-2's that were bailed to the Raytheon Corporation for use in their  missile trials- mainly the AIM-7 Sparrow. To provide the wiring and power to the many sensors and recording devices mounted in these two airframes, external  cable ducts were fitted on both sides of the airplanes that ran from front to back, much like those fitted to EE Lightnings.  Operational Skyknights did not have these ducts fitted; one of the test aircraft was donated to the museum, who repainted the airplane in USMC  Korean War black night fighter scheme and markings- they did not remove the cable ducts from the airplane, and when Sword examined the airplane, they did not realize that the cable ducts were not fitted to operational Skyknights, so they molded them on the fuselage halves of the kit. When I read the kit reviews and none of them seemed to comment on this, I sent an email to Michael Benolkin at Cybermodeler so that he could also check and confirm my findings, which he did and was nice enough to put an addendum of this error on his original kit review so that others might be made aware of the issue, which is easily fixed by sanding them off of the fuselage halves. I have attached a link to the article below for everybody's information.

Heckuva job on your model, and you had no way of knowing that the airplane they molded was not based on an operational airplane, but a test mule; You would have to remove the markings you so beautifully applied and add dayglo panels for the kit to be an accurate model of one of the two Raytheon test aircraft, one of which was donated to the museum. I probably wouldn't have caught the error when I got my Sword kit, if I hadn't been actively collecting photos and going through all of my print references on the airplane while I was waiting for it to arrive. The Naval Fighters monograph on the F3D as well as the Squadron In Action have photos and text describing the two Raytheon Skyknights, if anyone is interested. You've still got the prettiest F3D I have seen in God's Own Scale!

Regards,

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/swo/kit_swo_72074.shtml

Thank you Mike. That is very helpful info not only to me but to the entire modeling community.  Outstanding research Mike!! Thank you very much!! Best regards, Steve Cook :D

• Like 1

It's weird to see one of these in gray. Fantastic painting and weathering. BTW, how did you do the panel lines?

Great work! 

When ever I think I know everything there is to know about US naval aviation,  I go to your site Turtle and realize you've forgotten more than I ever knew. Thanks for the efforts Mike!

Edited by Thud4444

Nicely done, really like this Skynight a lot! And by far not that easy of a kit. A friend of mine built it recently too and he experienced quite a few problems, especially around the air intakes.

You did a great job on the canopy adjustment and masking and all in all a very clean build. To honour your model a bit more you should give her a proper photo session - that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing.

b.