Volvo 2xx series kits question (240, 244, 264 etc)

TonyTiger66

Hello everyone,

I have just bought my third Volvo 2xx series car in 1:1 scale.

Like many, I used to consider these cars as dull as paint, but I have become a convert.

They're so strong that even Volvo are dumbfounded by their longevity and they drive and handle like a dream. Rock solid bodies and in the case of the four pot engine, good for over a million miles if you look after it.

I want to build a model of my 1988 244. It's not so dissimilar to my 1977 264 in appearance; they're all a late 1960's/early 1970's child's drawing of a car :).

I can't find any IM models at all :(. Resin would be ok.

Maybe some of Britmodeller's Swedish people can advise?

Meanwhile, just in case anyone still thinks they're boring cars :D:

Yours hopefully

TonyT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello everyone,

I have just bought my third Volvo 2xx series car in 1:1 scale.

Like many, I used to consider these cars as dull as paint, but I have become a convert.

They're so strong that even Volvo are dumbfounded by their longevity and they drive and handle like a dream. Rock solid bodies and in the case of the four pot engine, good for over a million miles if you look after it.

Lots of people think them dull - until they own one.

On my ninth example in 34 years. I have a mate who had all manner of 'Rally' cars, including Scoobys. Eventually he bought a Volvo. 'Best car I've ever owned' he said. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help and advice :).

I've found diecast models, but they're extremely expensive (for nice looking ones).

I guess they're the right price for the collectors they're aimed at and for the detail, but they're a bit beyond what would be fair to spend with regards to Mrs. T and kids. 

I also found dealer models as Rich mentons, but again, expensive (but very nice).

I'll try the Finnish email.

It's strange that a mainstream model was made of the 760 and not 140/2xx series. The 760 had a much shorter production run, the 240 series actually ran on for a few years after production of the 760 ceased.

Maybe in time, like many cars once considered as 'square' or 'ugly ducklings', an IM kit will appear. I've owned a few cars people consider 'odd'; Citroen CX was one I loved but other people feared.

As voiced above, the 'boxy' Volvo's like 240's seem dull until owned. Then, especially if a well looked after car, they really are lovely cars. Great all purpose  'tools'. They seem to be featured in a lot of TV series and movies.

Here in Oz it's still possible to buy mid-late 70's 3 litre 26x's for a bargain price. Not as sought after an engine as the four pot, but the 3.0's absolutely fly! I had one for a while. I've gone back to the four pot for reliability and longevity.

Not Maseratis or Lamborghinis, but one of those wouldn't fit my needs, even if I could (ever) afford one. I'd rather buy a P1800 or an old Riley saloon. I'm odd like that :mental: :D.

Mind you, a Jaguar XK 140 would be nice :heart: .

Anyway, enough of my rambling :blah: !

If anyone does know of any resin or IM kit, please let me know. I'll also post here if I find anything out :).

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Tony, be patient & start saving!

(for some reason the forum software is giving me a 'forbidden' error when I try to post a link, I'll try it in a PM)

You'll also need to apply some muddling skill to convert it to a road car I expect.

Beemax have recently announced an E30 BMW M3 that I quie fancy, but the £60+ price tag has  put me off a bit, no idea what the Volvo might go for, but I really fancy one of them to do a rally car....I'm saving my pennies!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :)

PM received :thumbsup2: .

It's looking like that would be a good option, as you say, with a bit of kitbashing to turn it into a four door.

This is looking like one to put on the Christmas list :santa: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Know how you feel - I bought my first Volvo (a 142GL) in 1972, followed by a 244GL in 1975, a 244GLE in 1978 and a 264GLE in 1982. I kept the 264 until 2008, by which time it had accumulated over 400,000 kms. It was a little tired by then, but still went well. I only moved away from the brand when Volvo Australia stopped importing cars with manual transmission (I've never liked automatics, and my 264 was one of the last batch of manual 264s to come out here). I'd kill for an injected kit of a 200 series!

And I still cherish an idea to get a 142 and drop a Leyland V8 into it. I believe it has been done, with spectacular results.

My father bought a brand new 144DL in 1972. White. That was the first car i drove, at the age of 10. If I drove it out of the garage I could wash it, and drive it back! That car was never dirty!

I have not built (or found) a model of this, but I have plans to strip and rebuild a diecast model. It is quite a stright forward job, but you need to find a model that is nice shaped in the body.

8-)