Bristol Freighter Type 170

Freighter finally finished using the old Airfix kit, Magna conversion and lots of filler.

Main changes are the engines beefed up with new exhaust positions, the Airfix ones are too small and the Magna ones simply wrong.

Decals home made.

A few pics...

IMG_2869_zps5nso5sn8.jpg

IMG_2874_zps62q6mh8r.png

IMG_2875_zpsqmfy1zfz.png

IMG_2877_zpsdwfmda6m.png

IMG_2876_zpswlwndyi6.png

Just noticed how silvered the wing decal is, may correct that.

Next project Contrail Blackburn Botha and a Bristol Scout.

• Like 37

Very interesting model of a little seen and very original aircraft.

I'm not into civilian planes but I must admit that I like this one.

Good job.

• Like 1

Totally cool.  I like this.  I bet that looks great on your shelf, a real ugly duckling of an airplane.  And yeah, fix the wing decal - the rest of the model deserves it to be right.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice freighter Bristol Boy...which Bristol Scout kit will you use?  I enjoyed building two of the MAC kits in 1/72nd...

Thanks John, yes MAC Scout, did you post pictures of yours?

14 hours ago, cngaero said:

A grand old aeroplane.

You've done a lovely job with this one.

I can't wait to see the Botha.

Many thanks, Botha may take a little longer, not sure about a WIP?

10 hours ago, Niles said:

Totally cool.  I like this.  I bet that looks great on your shelf, a real ugly duckling of an airplane.  And yeah, fix the wing decal - the rest of the model deserves it to be right.

Thanks Niles, must get into the habit of gloss coating before decals to avoid the silvering.

Great job. I've done two of these using the Magna resin conversion kits, a RCAF machine, which I cut open the nose doors and had a RCAF Sabre inside and the A&AEE Boscombe Down Freighter. Unfortunately the Magna nose profile is not quite right (too 'flat' at the bottom) so I'm really looking forward the the new FLY kit that should be out later this year and will do it all again! 

• Like 1

Nice work Bristol Boy very good model- brings back memories- Irish air lines Aer Turas 170 used to fly into Marshalls at Cambridge bringing horses from Ireland in the early 1970's- most memorable thing was it belching volumes of smoke as whenever the engines were running.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks great.  All that work has certainly paid off.  The rivets look nice and subtle.  Did you tone them down?

Thanks Meatbox, yes most areas given a good sand down to reduce the rivets and whole thing rescribed as Magna's drawings, so maybe nor entirely correct but looks the part.

• Like 1

That is a great job. I am very fond of the Mk31 version of the Bristol Freighter as I used to see Aer Turas' EI-APC rumble out over my house almost every day back in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

Looks great, as others have said.. fix the decal. It can be done still, carefully put a pin or sharp scalpel into the decal several times and then flood it with klear, matt coat over the top once it's dry. I've done it and it works a treat, I got the idea from @Iain (32SIG)..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Looks great, as others have said.. fix the decal. It can be done still, carefully put a pin or sharp scalpel into the decal several times and then flood it with klear, matt coat over the top once it's dry. I've done it and it works a treat, I got the idea from @Iain (32SIG)..

Thanks Radleigh, never heard that technique before and will give it a go, I was all set to scrape the old one off, gloss coat, new decal etc. Good tip will let you know how it turns out.