1/48 KH Mirage F1 BE Tiger Meet 1988

Avgas

Your rendering of the camouflage certainly puts me in mind of dusty Spanish plains and shimmering haze on a hot summers day!  Very good indeed!  Keep up the good work:thumbsup2:

Cheers guys.

I got the metal work done, gloss coat on and started decalling. First one I put on (kit decal) silvered slightly. By slightly I mean completely. Broke into bits while adjusting it too.

IMG_3316-1.jpg

Not such a big deal. I was probably only going to use the walkway demarcation lines from the kit in any case. I'll mask and spray some time and for now move on to the aftermarket set.

First up

IMG_3319-1.jpg

hmm..

IMG_3320-1.jpg

picard_facepalm.jpg

C'mon Xtradecal - that's just sloppy. I'll have to mask and spray those too.

On a more positive note, I decided to add actuators to the Atar petals as they're quite prominent on the real thing. KH supplies PE actuators in the F1 C kit but decided not to include them with my F1 B. I used some .2mm rod instead. Still needs drybrushing!

IMG_3323-1.jpg

That's it for now :)

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 3

Those petal actuators are quite effective, good job!

As for those decals, that's a crying shame, I wonder if they were ever scaled to the kit or is the kit wrong?

Thanks Wez.

About the decals - I stand corrected, but I'm pretty sure the decals pre-date the Kittyhawk kit, which means they were probably intended for the Fonderie kit. The placement guide mentions the Kittyhawk kit so it's probably a case of updating existing instructions and releasing.

However, when checking against the Fonderie Miniature F1-B, the same problem exists

IMG_3325-1.jpg

My next guess is they're incorrectly upscaled from one of the 1/72 kits, or just plain incorrect. Who knows :shrug:

In the interests of time saving, I might just end up slicing the decal to size.

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm nice work!

But tjose decals.....

Albatros made a Dark Mirages sheet with these decals as well.....

Maybe they are better sized?

Perhaps, but I don't want to put any more cash into this kit :)

I've sprayed the walkway demarcation lines. The hatched line is not 100% accurate but from a metre away it serves its purpose.

IMG_3328-1.jpg

IMG_3329-1.jpg

IMG_3336-1.jpg

They need a bit of toning down, which will be done with some diluted Tamiya smoke.

I'll tackle the tail decals next.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm not sure it'll get done in time. Too many issues from kit to paint to decals - all fixable but for the missing decal that somehow fell off the model and disappeared. It's back on the shelf for now. I might have to strip it and repaint in a different scheme but that's not something I have any will for at the moment.

On 29/09/2017 at 7:10 PM, exdraken said:

What decals exactly are you missing?

One of the squadron badges fell off the intake. I put an SOS thread in the wanted section but that appears to have vanished too :shrug:

I think life is trying to tell me to forget about it :D

1 hour ago, Avgas said:

One of the squadron badges fell off the intake. I put an SOS thread in the wanted section but that appears to have vanished too :shrug:

I think life is trying to tell me to forget about it :D

Send me a picture of what exactly you are missing.... I assume I 'd have a (2) spare...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, I thought I'd bring this one out of retirement...

Feeling refreshed, I added replacement decals kindly donated by @exdraken (thank you again), retouched the walkway demarcation lines, painted the rudder tiger markings, clear coated, washed and various other bits and bobs, ready for final assembly.

Then I dropped it 🤣😂

byKR98.jpg

Canopy split in two

byK4bq.jpg

This has been by far the most frustrating modelling experience of my life! In the end, I can only laugh and move on 😂

Glad that is over!

Thanks to all of you who gave encouragement along the way!

4 minutes ago, Avgas said:

So, I thought I'd bring this one out of retirement...

Feeling refreshed, I added replacement decals kindly donated by @exdraken (thank you again), retouched the walkway demarcation lines, painted the rudder tiger markings, clear coated, washed and various other bits and bobs, ready for final assembly.

Then I dropped it 🤣😂

byKR98.jpg

Canopy split in two

This has been by far the most frustrating modelling experience of my life! In the end, I can only laugh and move on 😂

Glad that is over!

Thanks to all of you who gave encouragement along the way!

:banghead:

so you need a canopy as well? 

let me know......

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

:banghead:

so you need a canopy as well? 

let me know......

If you have a spare front canopy (rear, middle and windscreen still intact) that you're not using then yes, I'd definitely find a use for it, thanks. Come hell or high water, I shall  we shall defeat this beast!

5 minutes ago, Avgas said:

If you have a spare front canopy (rear, middle and windscreen still intact) that you're not using then yes, I'd definitely find a use for it, thanks. Come hell or high water, I shall  we shall defeat this beast!

oh sh..... that is the two seater! How could I not see that immediately... better write to KH.... sorry!

Just now, exdraken said:

oh sh..... that is the two seater! How could I not see that immediately... better write to KH.... sorry!

😁 Not to worry - I and my stress levels should probably thank you for not having one!

• Haha 1