An unusual Hawk 200 "kit"

Giorgio N

While browsing on a well known online auctions site, I found listed a 1/72 resin solid model of the Hawk 200. As this variant is IMHO very interesting and there's very little around in 1/72 scale, and considering that overall it costed me a tenner including postage, I decided to buy it

The kit consists of only a very few parts: fuselage, wings in one piece, stabilisers in one piece, the intakes and the airbrake. Included is also a stand.

Ok, it's a desktop solid model, the seller clearly advertised it as such so I can't complain if things like cockpit, wheel wells, vortex generators and other details are absent. I'm curious however to know what people think of the fuselage shapes

IMG_4452_zpsyzolrem0.jpg

IMG_4453_zpszdystfc5.jpg

The model represents the prototype, so we have the old style rear fuselage area, no RWR on the fin and two guns. The wing is also the original one and not the later "combat wing". Comparing the model with pictures it looks quite accurate, however I'm not an expert on the 200. What do you all think ? Is it based on the Matchbox kit ? Is it better or worse than this one ?
I know it's a solid model, but if the shapes are accurate I could use this as a base for a conversion... (and yes, I know Neomega has a nice conversion but I've been told that their canopy is not accurate).

At worst, I could still paint it in some cool scheme and use it as a desktop model, doesn't look that bad when wings and stabilisers are added...

IMG_4455_zps3ve9qqdw.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I'd like to comapre it to a Hawk kit, initial impressions are the intakes look a little square and the same for the fuselage. The nose is better than the MB one (Which didn't have the guns)

pk46a.jpg

http://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/previews/pk46.htm

I checked the parts against the recent Revell kit and they don't look too bad. The fuselage does indeed lok squarish, I suspect that this is because of the way the part is cast, I've yet to clean all the seams properly but I can see some work needed with abrasive paper...

The wings on the other hand look pretty accurate, of course they'd not be needed should I decide to base a conversion on this kit

4 hours ago, Don McIntyre said:

I wonder if this beats the Matchbox 200 in any way.

My initial fear was that it could have simply been a resin copy of the Matchbox kit but if the nose is better, it's already a good start

15 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Finish it as this one perhaps?

747c36881cd08e41ebbaa870259253fc-dafyurm

That's exactly the aircraft that my "kit" seems to represent ! May not be a bad idea to build this one

Relatively simple colours.

Like early Harrier GR5s, Dark green top,lichen green underneath I suspect but as usual am open to correction.

I think the Hawk emblem was on the Matchbox  decal sheet.

I wonder what it's range was with that load?