Hi folks,

We've been short on light here as the winter solstice is fast approaching, and short on time as we're in Vale Family Birthday Season until mid-July. I managed to set up my camera at lunchtime and get some pictures of poor Bemular, who's been waiting for a couple of weeks for the privilege.

34588059533_91b3c7a0cb_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

He seems to be missing a chip from one of the spikes, I don't remember that happening but it's not entirely surprising!

For those who missed the WIP thread, the little plane is Bandai's Mecha Colle kit of the Science Patrol VTOL from the original Ultraman series, and the atomic monster is Bemular, from the first episode of said series. I sculpted him from polymer clay (Super Sculpey) over a wire-and-tinfoil armature and fitted glass eyes and LEDs.

35358407126_4334799482_b.jpg

35231159782_18a80a72db_b.jpg

The "beam" is a plastic tube covered in hot glue, Tamiya Clear Blue and gloss varnish. You can just about see the wires running up to the LED in the hot end, but it's not too obvious. White insulation would've been preferable to black!

35231173552_75b2f70f05_b.jpg

35268007821_f51222524d_b.jpg

I really enjoyed this project and I'm itching to do some more sculpting when I can find the time. There are plenty of things that I could've done better so I'm hoping to fix some of that next time around - smoother surfacing and cleaner details would be good, and I need to figure out a better painting technique.

Here's the episode where Bemular appears if you want to see what he's supposed to look like in the original bloke-in-a-suit format. Sadly I can't embed the video as the uploader turned that option off.

https://youtu.be/4x7_DBzBetM

and here's the build thread.

Thanks to everyone who joined in there, it was all very useful. And thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 18

Thanks all, was a lot of fun to do.

10 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

You gonna do another one?  

I suppose at some point I should do a Baltan since they're so iconic, but my daughter was really freaked out by that episode when she first saw (part of) it so I may not get forgiven. I recall an armadillo/ankylosaur kind of beast (I think it came out of a mine and/or tried to eat a power station) which I rather liked as well. There are a lot of the Ultraman vehicles in mini form too.

But the three most likely sculpting projects at the moment are:

* Another Bandai diorama using the Moewe from Nausicaa and making the big flying centipede thing (complex armature, lots of repetitive work with the segments...)

* A wee bust of Ben from Full Throttle (needs new skills, smooth surfaces etc.)

* Games Workshop's Sky Dwarves hunting a whalesharkbeast. There's a really cool pic in the rulebook

35283504031_67867fe0f4_b.jpg

I don't know if it should be airborne during a hunt, or all gross and flensed like that, but either way it'd be an interesting one to do. The dwarves to put with it are these:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Skyriggers-2017

99120205021_Skywardens01.jpg

Which I think are completely awesome. Metal beard armour! Lead balloons! So yeah, the last one is the most likely atm.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5