Post War Thunderbird Models 1/72 Mosquitos & Spitfire - data markings?

Wm Blecky

Hi, looking to see if anyone here can answer a few questions about the following Post War aircraft:

• World Wide Airways racing Mosquito
  • Kenting Aviation Limited Mosquito
  • Canadian Racing Spitfire Mk.XIVe

I have the Thunderbird Models decal sheet for each of these aircraft.  They do not come with any sort of "data" markings.  I've looked at what pictures I could find on the net, but really could not tell if these aircraft would have had "data" markings.  If they did, would they have had ALL of the same types of markings as found on a war time aircraft?  Also, the two Mosquitos, would they have retained the rubber block type tires or perhaps tires with a circumferential tread instead?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi, I have the decal set that covers the Spitfire. I don't know what you mean by "data" markings, but the decal sheet seems very complete.  I think mine were from Red something or other. It's a while now, but they are 1/32nd scale.  Like you, I only do civil aircraft versions of the more beautiful warplanes.  No cow poo cammo and silly guns for me.!

Cheers,

Martin

Ah, that's what I thought you might mean.  I can't say I recall that many even on a 1/32nd scale sheet. Alas that part of my model room is off bounds as my son and his family are due to stay soon, but I'll have a look when they go.

Martin

12 hours ago, Scratchbuilder said:

Ah, that's what I thought you might mean.  I can't say I recall that many even on a 1/32nd scale sheet. Alas that part of my model room is off bounds as my son and his family are due to stay soon, but I'll have a look when they go.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I'll be watching for that.

I've spent quite some time Googling trying to find pictures of these Mosquitos that would answer my questions but with no luck.  Mind you, lots of pictures of models of them...  LOL

Interesting question. Post war, if no longer in service use it may be up to the operators what they applied after they removed the wartime finishes. It would probably make sense from a maintenance point of view to keep trestle marks but WT bonding and the like, probably not. I don't say this with authority, just imagining how lax authorities might have been about such things at that time.

Simon

Thanks Simon, appreciate your thoughts on this.  I have been giving thought to other aircraft types and am just starting to look around to see what I can find.  I have some P-51 racing Mustangs that I'd also like to build.  I think I will see what I can find there.

• 3 months later...

Photos in Don McVicar's Mosquito Racer suggest the red do not step markings were on the wings of the WWA machine and from memory the tyres were original block treads as the plane had come straight out of surplus and we prepared on a shoestring. Colours for this one are described as Victoria Cream with Stinson Green trim, the latter I believe is a dark metallic. The only colour image I've found of it after a lot of searching is the painting on the book cover. The book's around here somewhere but can't find it at the moment.