Academy 1/72 MIG-27 - Complete!

Well my Spitfires decals were settling so I was stuck for something to do so I decided I would make a start on one of the builds I would like to do for this GB. This ones just going to be a quick out the box effort on Academys 1/72 MiG-27. I know the kits got its issues, I beleive the nose is wrong for a D and the cockpit detail is almost none existant but I'm just looking for a quick build again at the moment and not get bogged down with corrections and detailing etc on this whilst I'm waiting on parts for a couple of other builds I want to get done for this and another gb so onwards.

Obligatory box and sprue shot:

35388666735_ff765f4b20_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
Marked as complete
  • Like 2

Well I managed to get a start on this as I said so I built what little there is to the cockpit up and started dry fitting the wings / fuselage. The two halves of the main fuselage actually look pretty close to one another so there shouldn't be much fettling required to get a nice join without much of a seam line to worry about which is always good! 

35388665425_6c70bb364c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Put the wings in place and shut up the fuselage, it was only after I had done this I wondered if it would have been easier to have painted the wings prior to installation. Never mind though live and learn

34579302983_1bdf8e0c4d_b.jpg

• Like 2

Well I have put the cockpit and nose together and attached to the fuselage, it's starting to look a bit like a Flogger! i think I am actually going to get some primer on her just now so I can check seam lines before I put the intakes togther plus I will need to move the wings and prime the bare bits once the first coat of primer is dry. Anyway here she sits:

35068304540_784e13fab0_b.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 5

There's nothing wrong with quick oob builds, incorrect details or not ,enjoyment is a priority in our hobby ,good work so far ,it looks a nice little kit,camo job? Or plain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

There's nothing wrong with quick oob builds, incorrect details or not ,enjoyment is a priority in our hobby ,good work so far ,it looks a nice little kit,camo job? Or plain

It is nice to sometimes just build a kit rather than get bogged down working on corrections etc. The kits fairly nice, a bit basic maybe, the problem area with this kit is its intakes. I will put a photo up later before I work them.

With regards to paint I'm leaning towards a camo finish but maybe not the one on the box, I still haven't decided to be honest

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 1

So heres what we're working with on the intakes. The underside is all nice, little sanding required but nothig major to see here:

35452227046_9f1bc033e1_b.jpg35361141411_5a0b1d071f_b.jpg

But when we came top side it was a different story:

35491712545_b4fe5b2059_b.jpg 

even after sanding the top of the fuslage to match the inside of the intake as you can see there is quite a big step, especially on one side. I considered a few options for putting this right but in the end I decided good old Mr Surfacer 1000 was the way to go so time to build up some layers.

35529763915_6cfd458706_b.jpg  

• Like 1

I have put a few coats of Mr Surfacer on now, should only need a couple more and I will be somewhere near ready to continue with the build, no point taking any photos of this process as they'd all just look like the one above lol. In the mean time I am making a start on my Mexican Vampire build for the Made In Britain GB, but rest assured I will be back on this once I have built up the top of the intake sufficiently 

Its taken around half a dozen fairly decent coats on the smaller gap and an additional 2 or 3 on the large gap. I did look at using sheet styrene but I was still going to need to blend with filler to keep the slight curve to the top of the intake and I had thought about using Mr surfacer on a previous build but never had the time to correct it if it went wrong though so I thought I would give it a go on this one to see how it would fair as time isn't going to be an issue. 

My thought was with it being self levelling its fairly easy just to bush on a thick coat and let it dry, repeat as required and it should be easy to blend to as you can begin the blending process whilst painting it on and it obviously leaves a nice surface finish to work with, seems to be working so far, Ive spent tonight working with the etch for my Vampire cockpit but I should be back on this one tomorrow.

• Like 1

I got a bit sidetracked by my Vampire build, but I spent some time on the MiG yesterday. The intakes are looking ok to my eye, I put primer on to see what they looked like in paint and I don't think they too bad at all considering the size of the step that was there. I left her belly up with the primer drying on the underside last night, which meant I spent a lot of time looking at those dodgy wheel wells. I may throw in some cabling or something to try and add a bit of interest, depends if I can find any reference images or not.

35558769581_d4b8e2cc09_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few days since my last update on this one! That sneaky Vampire build keeps jumping in front of me! Well here she is at the moment, pre-shaded and ready for paint. Now all I have to do is select the scheme! haha

35841012595_9ba1ccdba0_b.jpg

• Like 2

Ok so I have decided on my Camo scheme, I think I have the paint so I should hopefully get a start on that tonight. I have also ordered some lovely resin R-60's as the kit has some strange sidewinder ish looking missiles and I also ordered some resin OFAB-100's as there's nothing to mount on the rear fuselage pylons from what I can see. Plus the spares will come in handy one of my future MiG builds too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not forgot about this build, been having a few issues with my AS186 compressor overheating, its one of the earlier ones without the fans built in they now come with but anyway it has limited my ability to get paint down. I have almost finished the topside camo, there's still a few bits I need to touch up but also i think the paint is looking too feathered if you now what I mean and I think the demarkation between the colours is not sharp enough. Any way here's a photo of the MIG as it stands at the moment, what do you think?

35936360492_ea252e2b33_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

I have managed to sharpen it up, I used a new technique to me but it worked very well. I basically took a sheet of clear acetate, placed it over the lighter paint area, drew the shape of the line, cut it out and used like I would use a set of artist curves when airbrushing flames etc. I have probably explained it poorly but it seems to have worked. Certainly looks better than it did anyway. I have almost finished spraying the underside the blue/grey colour. Just need to get the resin pylons painted and attached too!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the 27 was ever actually equipped with R-60/AA-8 aphid? I see on the specs for the missile that the Mig-27 is listed as a platform for the weapon, but I can't seem to find any references that show them equipped and I wonder if this was only fitted to the later 27s such as the Indian aircraft rather than the FloggerD this kit is supposed to represent? 

On 7/31/2017 at 8:50 PM, Synopsis said:

Hi Peter,

I have managed to sharpen it up, I used a new technique to me but it worked very well. I basically took a sheet of clear acetate, placed it over the lighter paint area, drew the shape of the line, cut it out and used like I would use a set of artist curves when airbrushing flames etc. I have probably explained it poorly but it seems to have worked. Certainly looks better than it did anyway. I have almost finished spraying the underside the blue/grey colour. Just need to get the resin pylons painted and attached too!

Cheers

Mark

Great that you could improve on the demarcation between the colours. Looking forward seeing a picture of it.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your question regarding the R-60/AA-8 aphid. Maybe better to ask the question in the  Cold War Forum

Cheers, Peter

So much for keeping things nice and simple. As I had almost finished the paint I removed the masking tape and blue tack covering the cockpit and it really struck me how poor the cockpit was looking (there isn't even a control stick) and the seat especially was annoying me, it looked pretty bad and also seems to sit too far forward leaving quite a big gap between the back of the seat and where the none existant bulkhead should be. 

Heres the seat as it was when it originally went in:

36411215925_e146948f31_b.jpg

And here's an image to illustrate the big gaping hole behind it:

36275297681_3e82121830_b.jpg

So out comes the scalpel and after much poking about I finally managed to get the seat back out which actually involved the front wheel well coming out too but anyway time to see what I can do about this seat and while I am at it I will pop some weight into the nose and fix the missing rear bulkhead.

Oh and whilst I am posting heres what the sharpened up camo looks like and the underside, needs a couple of touch ups still but I am happier with it.

36275372751_47d71548bb_b.jpg

36275467001_2eea787fca_b.jpg

• Like 2