Will you look at that.. another Viper. NSAWC.

It's all I seem to assemble lately. Probably the last for a while because this one made it clear it was happier left alone in its box. On that note, you will notice the canopy appears not to fit properly. That's because it doesn't. It was slightly short shot on one of the arms and is warped, splayed like it's been sat on. I tried rectifying that without success so it'll have to do.

Hasegawa 1/48, 95% from the box. I added seatbelts to the kits seats and used TwoBobs decals. Painted with Tamiya, Mr Colour, Humbrol and Revell acrylics. Weathered with my usual mix of pound shop eye shadows.

Finding enough reference pictures of this aircraft at a single point in its life proved difficult. There are a fair few pics around but never more than a couple from any one point in time. I decided therefore to take what I liked from each era and try to apply it to my model. I'm not sure on the travel/ACMI pod combo either, but I wanted something under the wings.

Anyway, on to the pictures.

IKrWUc.jpg

IKrTsz.jpg

IKsGEj.jpg

IKsI7J.jpg

IKsmdn.jpg

Some family pics with my previous build:

IKrLJG.jpg

IKrZVW.jpg

IKryp1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, constructive crits and advice on how to fix that canopy welcome!

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 47

4 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Both look great, I like the weathering, not too overdone

:thumbsup:

Thanks. I was initially going for very used and abused (see pic below) but found it a lot harder to pull off than I'd hoped, so I settled on the above.

13686071373_6d42b4f294_z.jpg

You'd think dirty with worn and patchy paint would be easy! Nope - I just don't have the airbrush aim and control. I think there's a gap in the market for a laser pointing device that can be attached to an airbrush to make aim easier.

Thanks for the comments guys.

• Like 3

Hello,Avgas - I can't see any issue with the canopy or otherwise.What I can see see are a pair of superb looking 'Vipers' and both are beautifully built and finished.The schemes look marvellous and really suit the type well.

They'll do for me!

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Cheers Paul, my photo's are very much strategic :D

Anyway, enough of the negative stuff. All told I'm quite happy with it.

• Like 1

@Karlo They do seem to be almost everyones favourite Viper schemes. A bit more interesting than the grey in any case :)

Thanks for the positive response everyone, it's appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

@mirageiv @coneheadff I masked the forward section off along the middle frame, then it's just a few thin coats of Tamiya X26 clear orange (how dark you want it determines how many coats and is up to you) and a thin coat of X19 smoke over the top. Remove the mask once dry, dip the whole canopy in Klear, then once it's all cured, mask as you usually would :)

• Like 2

Simply wonderful result.   Having seen that particular jet a few times over the years, it does remain constantly changing in appearance.  

Another item you can hang under the wing is an ALQ-167 jammer pod.   I've seen those jets with pylons that don't match the rest of the jet (i.e. "tan pylons on a blue jet")

I like your solution to the differently colored canopy.

What color did you use for the centerline tank?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John B said:

I've seen those jets with pylons that don't match the rest of the jet (i.e. "tan pylons on a blue jet")

I like your solution to the differently colored canopy.

What color did you use for the centerline tank?

Tell me about it. I've seen one with a tan body panel too. Unfortunately the pics make it hard to see, but the centreline pylon is tan (dirtied up a lot).

The centreline tank is supposed to be FS36118 but my Humbrol Gunship Grey sucked. Age related I guess. I ended up using Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 75 and lots of Tamiya smoke, oils and pastels (well, make up). The alodine treated aluminium colour was a base of Mr Metal Gold. I used the salt chipping method to expose that.

Edited by Avgas

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Very nicely painted, did you tint the canopy, the weathering is super, and pound shop eye shadows you say, I'm gonna raid Mrs Hewy's make up bag:P

Good job

Glynn 

Make sure you get the matte stuff - you'll have problems getting anybody into a sparkly jet.

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 1