Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
Valleyofvallejo

A survey about what kits do you prefer

28 posts in this topic

It's a bit 'closed question' and there are variables. I don't just model aircraft, and I buy from many manufacturers. As to well engineered or crude kits, it depends on the subject matter, not the manufacturer. You need to allow for multiple answers.

Done! Good luck with your project :)

7 hours ago, Valleyofvallejo said:

I'm currently doing a survey as a part of a school project in design & technology. I would like you all to please complete it. It's 10 questions long. 

Here's the link: https://surveynuts.com/surveys/take?id=140084&c=3091373729FRPL

Sorry I can't complete this survey as its far to narrow and  relies on a straight yes or no answers.

You will not get a correct result  if you start from the premise that all people are dedicated modellers of one type of kit  only, that will be either modern and or old, and in one price range. This is is naive thinking. I can personally tick yes to about 85% of the questions asked.

What type of kit do i like to model?  One that's made of plastic,  (with perhaps a bit of resin or PE added if I feel that way) on that particular day. Its a hobby, not something I do by rote.

I suggest you redo the survey with  a lot more open questions and the ability for multi selection for some answers.

Selwyn 

Posted (edited)

Whilst agreeing with the shortcomings of this survey, let's bear in mind that it isn't an important international study that will affect the development of the hobby.  Vov is just asking for some data to feed into a school project, a learning exercise for him and his fellows.  That's all.  It doesn't matter if you could come back to this tomorrow and prefer a different but equally appropriate set of answers.  Those of us who've been around a while could perhaps write essays on several of these questions, and looking around the internet modelling sites we probably have already.  But that isn't the purpose of the study, and is outside its limited scope.

PS I assumed that the price range was intended as a maximum rather than a preferred, or even a usual.  A little clarity here would have helped.

Edited by Graham Boak
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Paul A H said:

Done! Good luck with your project :)

done by me too

Done. :thumbsup2:

I've done it boss, in the same style as my models- ignore the pedants ( they're for work) and went for the general impression

hope it goes well

You have mine as well.

Hope it works out for you!

done

all the best Chris

Done.

Good luck,

John

Done.

Done. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Sorry I can't complete this survey as its far to narrow and  relies on a straight yes or no answers.

You will not get a correct result  if you start from the premise that all people are dedicated modellers of one type of kit  only, that will be either modern and or old, and in one price range. This is is naive thinking. I can personally tick yes to about 85% of the questions asked.

What type of kit do i like to model?  One that's made of plastic,  (with perhaps a bit of resin or PE added if I feel that way) on that particular day. Its a hobby, not something I do by rote.

I suggest you redo the survey with  a lot more open questions and the ability for multi selection for some answers.

Selwyn 

K, will add more open questions to the survey & enable multiple answers

Done.

Rio

Done also, there are few more questions that need to be multiple choice IMO. Price and favourite manufacturer are cases in point. Depending on the subject matter the price varies and depending on the subject my favourite manufacturer changes as well.

I deal in statistics most of my working day so I hope that you end up with a good sample of data to base your project on. 

I feel a few questions could have allowed the option of multiple answers, however it's all completed to the best of my ability and the survey's scope.

Good luck and happy to help.... Dave.   

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Valleyofvallejo said:

will add more open questions to the survey & enable multiple answers

What would be useful when you tweak the survey, would be to ad a comments slot. For instance, the question about which kit do you prefer. Somebody like myself could say that I have no preference and build what takes my fancy. Same with the price range. I don't buy a kit because it's in a price range, I buy it because that's what I want to build. I'll fill it in anyway as best I can.

John.

As someone else who is trained in statistics I notice on the whole of BM there are probably more idiot comments about statistics than about models!

I'm happy to do your survey but note you can't change the questions in mid-stream and hope for it to be valid.

Edit - I have done it - good luck with your project.