Mirage 2000C 103-LI “Tiger Meet 2010” - 06/8 update

trickyrich

Well I’m first cab off the rank of this build, only because I though it was to start last weekend! Had all the photos and stuff ready as well.

For this GB I wanted something nice and simple, I had the Eduard 2000C in the stash so all I needed was a new colour scheme as I didn’t fancy the ones supplied.

IMG_0209.jpg

The model is quite simple and really old, it started life in 1992 when it was released by Heller…..and it shows it! The panel detailing is quite nice but some of the other stuff!

IMG_0214.jpg

There are some nice extras with the model, some I’ll use some I won’t.

IMG_0213.jpg

So I plan to throw away the old cockpit and fit a new cockpit Wolfpack one.

IMG_0211.jpg

Plus a few other bits, at the stage I bought the wheels I had planned to build her with wheels down but have since decided to do her in flight. So the wheels are available to anyone who wants them.

IMG_0212.jpg

These doors are part of the reason why I didn’t want to build her wheels down! I’ll either rebuild these or replace them. I’ll probably have to replace them as their shape doesn’t match the door opening at all!

IMG_0249.jpg

Ok finally the colour scheme, well she will be rather bright! Not quite the simple scheme I had planned, but at least it’s all decals this time so that should help. It’s actually going to be part of a bigger theme of builds I’m planning. I want to build up a set of Tiger Meet aircraft, I have the 2015 Polish F-16CJ, I’ve got a 2010 Czech Gripen (about 1/3rd finished) already. So in future GB’s I’ll start to add more.

IMG_0210.jpg

As mentioned this will be do as an in-flight model, I have Leon already for the cockpit. With the new control surfaces I’ll try an give her an action look. That said I did make one really scary discovery when I was laying out the new control surfaces on the kit ones. After looking at some scale drawings it appears that the kit has some issues with the angle of the leading edge its control surfaces! I’ll know more once I start cutting things up….. and this was to be a simple build!

Leon has since run away!

• Like 8

Nice!

I'll try to find some reviews in the French side of the world, if it can help.

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Leon has since run away!

No surprise here, the name belong to a time two centuries ago.

Rich,

Welcome to the GB and doffed cap to you for being first off the mark!

Every time I look at this thread I shudder at the amount of resin involved.

Love the scheme you've chosen, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Rich,

Welcome to the GB and doffed cap to you for being first off the mark!

Every time I look at this thread I shudder at the amount of resin involved.

Love the scheme you've chosen, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

:D by my standards it's not a lot of resin compared to some of my builds!

further examination of the moulded control surfaces on the wings confirms that their leading edge (hinge section) is not perpendicular to the centreline of the fuselage, but are angled about 2forward. All drawings of the wings of the 2000C have the leading edge at 90o to the fuselage centreline! Normally you probably wouldn't notice something like this, but seeing I'm silly enough to replace them, well..........

I think I'm going to have to cut the control surfaces off at there join position on the wing and then rebuild this section to get the angle right. Plus of course the panel detail is a bit skewed as well as it's meant to parallel to the hinge line! Plus I cut the main wheel well doors off to see how they would fit.....they don't! The gap between the doors and the wheel wells, well you could loose small children in it! There'll be quite a bit of work to sort that out.

Oh well it was to be a simple build.......one day I'll have one!

• Like 2

It will be very interesting to see what you will do with this kit.  I will watch this one.:popcorn:

I still haven't decided what to build. I haven't got much time, so maybee I build a Mirage IIIB from Matchbox or a Kfir from Hasegawa. Both are in 1/72 scale.

Cheers, 

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time to drag this beast up from the bottom of the threads. This is a fairly large update as I have been very busy on her. I had intended to finish the F-111 first before starting this, but in between finishing off the last bits on her I managed to get quite a bit done. Plus the wing/flaps had me a bit worried!

All right this is going to be all over the place as I did this off an on over the last couple of days. I found I needed the wing to be together to remove the control surfaces and in doing so found issues that needed to be sorted out first. Like the centre fuselage section of the underside of the wing assembly, it didn’t fit well and had some horrible gaps.

IMG_0258.jpg

As you can see I needed extra bits to hold it in place!   

IMG_0256.jpg

While I was at it I started on the wheel wells and some bracing for the doors, well I did one side, finished the other side today.

IMG_0267.jpg

Once everything was dry/stable enough off came the control surfaces.

IMG_0251.jpg

And a test fit confirmed that something here wasn’t right. This picture shows what I mean.

IMG_0260.jpg

Either the control surface set was wrong or the control surface join of the model was work. At first I thought it was the control surfaces were wrong. So research time, after long hours (and really late night) going over all the drawings/plans I could find it appears the model is wrong. The rear line of the wing should be perpendicular to the aircraft axis, in the kit it’s a couple of degrees out. Now if you weren’t fitting new control surfaces you won’t really notice. Too late now to go back! So right of wrong I have to sort this out.

IMG_0259.jpg

So I chopped the wings so that the rear edge is now square to the centre axis line.

IMG_0272.jpg

To make up for the missing material I’ve added some thin plastic strip, I’ll have to add some to the tips to make up for the lost plastic there as well.

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Right today I could finally do some uninterrupted work on the wing. I trimmed the new card section back and grooved the hinge area, I found using brass rods of different diameters great for this. Once that was finished I cleaned the tips up. I needed to add some thin plastic strip here as well, the tips were glued on next. All the joins were actually quite good so only a wee bit of filler was required.

IMG_0395.jpg

No photos with the control surfaces sitting there as the cameras batteries went flat! But these will be pinned which will help with the positioning bit and give them some strength.

In on particular order some of the other stuff I did over the last couple of days as well.

I added the PE nozzle petals, not an easy task as I had to grind off the old moulded ones.

IMG_0266.jpg

I glued the tail together and was going to add the small fins at the top, but the kit ones were horrible so I made up some new ones.

IMG_0393.jpg

They look much better.

IMG_0394.jpg

The refueling probe looked a bit sad and I remembered I had a tip leftover from my F-5 build, 5 minutes later again much nicer.

IMG_0390.jpg

Finally the doors, no other photos then this one, again due to flat battery. But as you can see I needed to add quite a bit to the doors just to get them to fit.

IMG_0391.jpg

I’ve finished adding all the additions to them and have shaped them to fit the wheel well openings. I have to shape there profile to fit the surround wing/fuselage area, they are/were completely flat!

And that’s it for now, it looks like a lot of work but surprisingly it was really quick to do. I love this sort of mod work, it’s like building a Sukhoi again!

I’m really happy with the progress I’ve made, I’ll now probably put her aside for a bit, seeing it’s a nice long build. I’ll post a few more photos once the camera is charged.

• Like 5

Rich,

That's one hell an update and I commend you in your efforts to sort out the wing hinge line, it's a shame when something so fundamental is wrong but you appear to have overcome that.

Good luck with the rest.

• Like 1

Nice work!

Strange thkng about the "flaps" 

Take care off the fuselage-wing joint, it is a bit tricky if you glue the lower wing parts first...

The PE nozzles look  wonderful! I so.ehow think they are more realistic than all the resin ones!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Gosh you don't half pick them. First the Hobbyboss F-111, now this with its weird wing thing. As others have already said nice work in correcting this, and all the other add ons that you have done to make the kit right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

Gosh you don't half pick them. First the Hobbyboss F-111, now this with its weird wing thing. As others have already said nice work in correcting this, and all the other add ons that you have done to make the kit right.

haha... yeap I do have a habit of picking them of late!!  As far as all the "correction" work goes I'm pretty happy with the way the work has gone so far, I just need to finish fitting the gear doors and reshaping then put everything together. The real fun will start with the paint job!!

You should see how much chopping I've done to the MiG! But to balance the world I have an OOB 109B that'l I'll be working one next break, along with the MiG. This will probably progress quite slowly until I at least finish one of the others.

cheers, it's the first time I've made up an exhaust like this one. There was a lot of grinding to remove the moulded petals, then lots of "massaging" to get the PE ones to fit the profile. But you're right it does look rather nice. I can't remember if there is anything to go on the inside? Though I won't be adding anything as a large bit of acrylic rod is going in there! :D 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hmm I've just noticed I'm the only one building a 1/48th Mirage 2000! Does everyone one else know something I don't??? :door:

Well I hadn't intended to do anything more to this until I'd finished either the 109B or the MiG-29.......well the 109 is officially a DNF, looks like a contender for this years KUTA! The MiG-29....well I've run out of Mojo for that plus have had a lot of other distractions with that build...see thread for that (but include: A-222 Bereg, Gripen D, Trumpy Su-24, Jagdpanzer E-100, resin Vigilante just to name a few).

But in between I have done a wee bit more to this one, sorry no photos for now.

The main wheel bays are closed up now, it ended up be quite a task. The hardest part was trying to profile them, first I tried doing it with the doors off, that didn't work too well. Then I glued them in place and tried it that way, again not that easy especially as I didn't want to loss any detail around them. In the end it worked out quite well, guess a coat of undercoat will be the real test.

I finished off smoothing out the new section on the wings for the Flaperons (finally remember there correct name!!). Now I just have to re-scribe some of the detail that was lost here, will make a mask to help with this task as there are 4 (?) panels each side which are identical so that should with that. Plus I've finished filling and smoothing out the two drop tanks, once the re-scribings done I'll give all this a quick undercoat to see what tiding up is required.

I've started painting the cockpit, but have a feeling the colours may be too dark, hopefully I won't have to strip back and repaint.....had to do that with the MiG's cockpit and wheel wells!! :wall:

I've started painting the exhaust as well, plus have made the mount for the stand. I have a section of brass rod fitted inside the exhaust, this will slide over the the brass tubing I'll be using for the stand.  

I'l now start to spend some more time of this build, once the cockpit is finished and painted the rest should go together quite quickly. Then the fun will start with the painting!

Rich,

Thanks for the update,. I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to, I had considered alerting the authorities!

Looking forward to seeing the photos when they're available.

Exdraken has put a placeholder down for a 1/48 th Mirage 2000, he's going for a 2000P (Peruvian) using the ESCI kit so you will have company.

• Like 2

:D

I was actually meaning no one else is building a 1/48th Heller/Eduard 2000 beasty. It's considered the best of the 2000's even though it has a few issues.

But it is strange that there are only two 1/48th 2000's in the GB, I would have thought there would be more.

The old Esci model isn't that bad, just "Death Star" size panels lines! :D 

Don't worry I still have to see whether I actually complete this GB......have a bad rate this year so far!! 

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

:D

I was actually meaning no one else is building a 1/48th Heller/Eduard 2000 beasty. It's considered the best of the 2000's even though it has a few issues.

But it is strange that there are only two 1/48th 2000's in the GB, I would have thought there would be more.

The old Esci model isn't that bad, just "Death Star" size panels lines! :D 

Don't worry I still have to see whether I actually complete this GB......have a bad rate this year so far!! 

ok Heller/ Airfix moulds you mean... as I built 2 Eduard C models already I thought lets see what can be done with the ESCI/ Italeri moulding! Panel lines actually look quite nice! Definitely sharper then Heller....

still, only 2 M2000s so far :(

my GB completion rate is 0% for 2017.... out of one F-111 GB entry..... shame on me!! my gneral model completion rate for 2017 is the same.... lots of unfinished lying around currently..... (MiG-25RB, Blackhawk, F-111C, AMX, Hunter)

I didn't know Airfix released a copy as well??

My GB rate is poor but at least this year I should clear out a backlog of stuff I've previously started......with luck!

On 8.8.2017 at 1:54 AM, trickyrich said:

I didn't know Airfix released a copy as well??

My GB rate is poor but at least this year I should clear out a backlog of stuff I've previously started......with luck!

Airfix released the Heller mould as a B model!