Brushable Gloss Varnish

LuBu

Good evening all, I'm looking for recommendations for a varnish that can be used with a hairy stick and not the trusty air brush. I do have an airbrush but currently where I do most of my work is not ideal for spraying. 

Ive heard good things about the Winsor and newton stuff, mostly about the matte version, is the gloss just as good for pre decal/ decal sealing? Any other suggestions are welcome too. 

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

Tom you will get a dozen different answer's from a dozen different folk as we all have our preferences,I love humbrol gloss coat

in the bottle and brush it on all my build's,Their Matt coat is used only with my airbrush and both I thin with their enamel thinner's

I'm not a fan of brushing their Matt coat it streak's even when thinned.

• Like 2

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I do have a bottle of humbrol gloss lying around somewhere, how much would you recommend thinning it by? 

Without getting into the whole klear issue, what about clear parts using humbrol gloss? 

Cheers

Tom

3 hours ago, LuBu said:

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I do have a bottle of humbrol gloss lying around somewhere, how much would you recommend thinning it by? 

Without getting into the whole klear issue, what about clear parts using humbrol gloss? 

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,it's difficult to give you a ratio I've used it so long I sort of know when it's right if that makes sense? I would say about the

consistancy of your average cup of Tea or Coffee,give it a couple of thin coat's thin with white spirit or enamel thinners and use

a flat brush,I have on smaller kit's used the same process with matt coat but it tend's to have a sheen even with the airbrush so

for a matt coat answer someone else will be along with an answer.I have never dipped my canopies although Johnson's clear

seems to be most folk's favourite,Here's a recent build using the process.

DSCN4556_zps85fknfaq.jpg

• Like 1

I've come to understand that Humbrol Clear performs similarly to Klear (floor polish). Klear is typically a much more affordable option if you can find it at the pound shop. 

I've dipped and brushed Klear onto canopies. In my case it depends on size and my mood. Outcome seems to be the same for me regardless, but by brushing there seems to be less mess. 

I see see no reason why Humbrols could not work the same. You could test on an old canopy, dip/brush then when dry put some paint on it. Then when that's dry, see if ammonia cleans it up as though you'd never touched it. If yes, then it's effectively the same product.