Tamiya Bf 109 E-7...with a difference

A variation of sorts on your idea Barry, something I came across on the net while looking for some info on another project:

Image result for bf.109e iraq

• Like 1

I've been wanting to try Gunze's Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softener more extensively and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. So I took an extra decal from the Eduard Bf 110 sheet. This is also the source for the Iraqi national markings. I applied them to a test fuselage that had been riveted and painted. Both the Setter and Softener tend to bead up unless you use quite a lot, but that brings up its own issues. These products are very strong but had no negative effects on the Eduard decals. They sucked down almost perfectly, even better than using Future under the decal. There were only a few areas where I had to cut them to nestle into a paper line and they took to the rivets beautifully. For the number 1, I used a Tamiya decal, and this was much more vulnerable to the Mr. Mark Softener. At first it looked like a disaster, with the white ink bubbling noticeably. But patience prevailed. I didn't touch it and after some time it also settled in perfectly. I'm sold on these products, but advise testing them on extra decals from the same sheet to determine compatibility. The paint is another story. Gunze GX-100 gloss is a tough lacquer. But the decal softener created stains that actually etched into the gloss. Most of them were handled but another application of the gloss coat, but one did show some discoloration of the underlying paint. I will probably respray that small area at some point.

Here the decals are all in place and an additional coat of Gunze GX-100 sprayed over them. First the test piece:

35530402842_db365ecf17_c.jpg

35530405312_a7fbd01a7d_c.jpg

35530400452_4838a3437d_c.jpg

35530399822_0d63e930f6_c.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmm ive tried once and was wrong. Im going to say Vichy french on the eastern front in '41

Dennis

Now that would be cool!

• Like 1

I've applied the flat coat, Gunze 182 in this case, also attached the tail feathers and prop. The splash of color from these really complements the dirty camouflage.

34938950893_43f8044d8b_c.jpg

34938949723_704c29f297_c.jpg

34907313934_bdbf9b7c38_c.jpg

34938950203_48af848092_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by 109 fan
dupe photo
  • Like 9

I did some touch-up painting tonight, which means I messed some other things which meant more touch-ups, etc., etc. Also the exhaust stains were airbrushed. I wasn't happy with the overall finish of the plane; it just looked too European theater clean and semi-gloss for this scenario. So I applied another coat of Gunze 182 flat and still no joy. Then I brought out the nuke...Vallejo flat. The flattest flat ever. My experiences with it in the past have been decidedly underwhelming. Usually ending up with a chalk-like finish that had to be buffed out with a T-shirt. But perhaps that could be an advantage here. I toyed with the idea of spraying a thin coat of Tamiya buff or some such color to get a dusty appearance, but that is a surefire road to disaster. Just a little too much and it's back to the paint shop. But this just might do the trick. There are a few firsts for me on this build, and one of them is a dead flat finish. As I said, seems appropriate. 

I know this is a personal decision and have seen preferences from the rather glossy to the black-hole-no-light-is-reflected flat. What are your thoughts on this?

35380034340_c2c69f39e3_c.jpg

35380034900_2c35f701e1_c.jpg

• Like 6

In my opinion, now the finishing is perfect... At the first pictures it was too clear yet... but now for me is :yes:

Good job

Time ago I saw a finished model with MrPaint clear gloss... for me is fantastic. 

Sure that I'll buy it

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.

I stopped to take a few photos here. I think the 109 looks best at this point, as it would appear with the gear retracted. Hmmm, might have to do an in-flight model sometime.

35669294051_30c25cebfe_c.jpg

35669292701_25c40a2e9c_c.jpg

Getting very close now:

35669291851_bc52e3b37f_c.jpg

35669291031_df4ee98bd6_c.jpg

• Like 7

Done! Here are a few photos; I'll take some glamor shots later. Curiously, This model was done just as an experiment but it has turned out to be my favorite build of the year.  A thought about riveting; I am now a convert. Placing this model next to another 109 with a similar scheme, there is no comparison. This one is much more interesting. It looks busier and more realistic. So a word of caution. Once you rivet a model it will ruin you; you'll have to do it all others from that point forward!

I've pushed the exposure in these photos to accentuate the weathering and rivets, they are perhaps more subtle then they appear here.

34973259454_3a1a479da5_c.jpg

34973259154_8e04f1c7e1_c.jpg

34973258474_54b52c31e4_c.jpg

34973258814_0091a62944_c.jpg

Thank you all for of the comments and encouragement along the way.

• Like 10

Fantastic work, I will try riveting very soon.

By the way, what brand of airbrush are you using? I know of course that it's the hands using the tool rather than the tool itself but am just curious.

Thanks 

James

An Iraqi 109 ! I was also betting on a french one, they got one or two of these in the phoney war,

Then the germans pick her back..

Very nice building and good unusual subject, I really enjoy.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

On 7/3/2017 at 8:02 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmm ive tried once and was wrong. Im going to say Vichy french on the eastern front in '41

Dennis

Now that would make for an interesting project!

8 hours ago, 109 fan said:

Thanks, James. My airbrush is an Iwata Custom Micron B, which is a fantastic piece of equipment.

Barry, I have always been impressed with your work and your camo jobs are outstanding.  Now that I see what type of airbrush you use, can you tell me, where did you get yours from?

In Iraq, everything is coated with dust. We used to have these days when the entire sky was like an orange fog...it was really orange dust!

You have done a superb job with the Messerschmidt...Congratulations on your fine work.

On 6/30/2017 at 5:18 AM, Black Knight said:

Spanish Volunteers in Russia?

That was going to be my guess but the white tail band put me off that. I'm going for Australian!!

Duncan B

Edit: Should have read to the end, doh!