Persian Thunder...1/48 F-86F "Shamshir" Imperial Iranian Airforce

fast forward build until now

DSC_0001_zps5n6yelgj.jpg

the Quickboost resin seat together with the Hasegawa seat rear part/headrest fits pefectly into the pit

DSC_0003_zpsij23lwil.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsbs4upxxa.jpg

don´t forget the noseweight as my dad almost did, that´s why he has me as a reminder :lol:

DSC_0005_zpslxtzqhwu.jpg

• Like 1

already looking like an aircraft

DSC_0004_zpssdjj0sho.jpg

because the white plastic is horrible for the eye, my dad started to apply some grey paint to have more contrast and see where some filling or sanding work is still needed

DSC_0005_zps7ywbxdqr.jpg

• Like 3

Splendid work on the Sabre!

There is however a small modification that needs to be done:

Please don't forget to remove / sand down the intake visible on the rear right fuselage side (visible on the photo of the primed aircraft) typical for the F-86F-40 version. The Iranian Sabres were F-25 and F-30 aircraft updated with the longer F-40 wing, without this intake.

As all Hasegawa Sabres have the same fuselage parts, this operation needs to be done anytime you want to build a non JASDF aircraft.

Re: nose wheel - you're right : IIAF  sabres had both styles. The nose wheel visible on the photo was a late solution, and the Philippine Sabres had also the same wheel (painted in yellow primer). The IIAF sabres had this element in NMF/aluminium.

Interestingly, it seems that late T-33 Shooting Stars had the same nose wheel (like Hellenic A.F. aircraft) and I hoped to find a solution searching for T-33 accessories, but till now there is no aftermarket available ( only spoked wheels) :(

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

4 hours ago, Diego said:

Splendid work on the Sabre!

Please don't forget to remove / sand down the intake visible on the rear right fuselage side (visible on the photo of the primed aircraft) typical for the F-86F-40 version. The Iranian Sabres were F-25 and F-30 aircraft updated with the longer F-40 wing, without this intake.

As all Hasegawa Sabres have the same fuselage parts, this operation needs to be done anytime you want to build a non JASDF aircraft.

Re: nose wheel - you're right : IIAF  sabres had both styles. The nose wheel visible on the photo was a late solution, and the Philippine Sabres had also the same wheel (painted in yellow primer). The IIAF sabres had this element in NMF/aluminium.

Interestingly, it seems that late T-33 Shooting Stars had the same nose wheel (like Hellenic A.F. aircraft) and I hoped to find a solution searching for T-33 accessories, but till now there is no aftermarket available ( only spoked wheels) :(

Greetings

Diego

Thanks for the reminder Diego!

I knew there was some minor correction to be done but couldn´t remember what.

8 hours ago, Diego said:

This isn't quite correct: the fuselage intake is applicable to all aircraft modified to carry TACAN equipment: this was a retro-mod done on many F-86Fs and definitely not  exclusive to F-86F-40 and/or JASDF aircraft. Model Airplane International magazine repeated the same incorrect fact in a recent article, citing their "Sabre expert" as proof. I sent them photos of a Portuguese AF F-86F with the same mod as an example (though I have photos of other F-86Fs such as ROKAF, Philippine AF etc with the same intake/TACAN mod) but thoughtfully the MAI staff didn't acknowledge my correction or publish the erratum. 

So if you have a small blade antenna atop the intake and beneath the aft fuselage, you need to keep that intake!

TACAN

Edited by Sabrejet
typo
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This isn't quite correct: the fuselage intake is applicable to all aircraft modified to carry TACAN equipment: this was a retro-mod done on many F-86Fs and definitely not  exclusive to F-86F-40 and/or JASDF aircraft. Model Airplane International magazine repeated the same incorrect fact in a recent article, citing their "Sabre expert" as proof. I sent them photos of a Portuguese AF F-86F with the same mod as an example (though I have photos of other F-86Fs such as ROKAF, Philippine AF etc with the same intake/TACAN mod) but thoughtfully the MAI staff didn't acknowledge my correction or publish the erratum. 

So if you have a small blade antenna atop the intake and beneath the aft fuselage, you need to keep that intake!

TACAN

Many thanks for these informations! Good to know this detail!!!

This means that a.o. PhAF "Dragon" also had this modification :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Many thanks for these informations! Good to know this detail!!!

This means that a.o. PhAF "Dragon" also had this modification :) 

Correct: I don't have a RH/starboard-side view of 'Dragon', but here is a similar Phil AF F-86F with the TACAN mod and that aft fuselage intake (photo Alberto Anido):

Reini: apologies for hijacking your thread!! ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Correct: I don't have a RH/starboard-side view of 'Dragon', but here is a similar Phil AF F-86F with the TACAN mod and that aft fuselage intake (photo Alberto Anido):

Reini: apologies for hijacking your thread!! ;)

no problem, new, good and useful info is always welcome ;) 

On 19.7.2017 at 8:28 AM, Reini78 said:

DSC_0005_zpsbuojhlpo.jpg

Great progress on the Sabre :)

Please only remember that external fuel tanks were never camouflaged in IIAF ( and later IEAF) service and remained in NMF.

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Great progress on the Sabre :)

Please only remember that external fuel tanks were never camouflaged in IIAF ( and later IEAF) service and remained in NMF.

Greetings

Diego

I know, gonna be pained (most probably) wih Tamiya Titanium SIlver :winkgrin: