Takom 1/35 king tiger

So this is my king tiger that will eventually play a role in my rail diorama 

I've found it a fun but frustrating build to some degeee. The takom kit has such little tolerances of fit that dryfitting has been a learning curve for me! It's such a shame that there is so much detail that won't ever be seen also!! 

E4B810C1-35ED-4B8C-ADBD-2D95D9387DEF_zps

00B46D24-0D6F-4D09-9CDB-EB0F0F87A04C_zps

I do wish takom had done all the main gun armament individually for painting. It would also have given an easier way of making some rounds Spent. You've no easy choice to have anything but a fully armed up vehice 

• Like 3

Hey Steve

That looks good. I have this kit too, but my take on it is to do a multiple cutaway to show the details that Takom so generously provide. Got the drawings and am currently working out just how much can be cut out while retaining the upper hull and turret integrity. I'm hoping I can keep the cutaways to just the right side of the tank so that from the left it looks complete - that's the plan, anyway :-)

Love the internal weathering on yours!

Cheers

Kev

• Like 2

Today I managed to get a fair few of the track links on. The disappointing thing is they are not working tracks only static. And realised too late that I should have done them before glueing the sideskirts on!! Made my life a bit more fiddly!! 

@modelman182 there's various options from what I've seen online. Most do a version with the turret top and the hull top on clear rods so it's stacked. Personally don't like it, however a cut away is what I did with my Trumpeter 1/16 T34 (will upload photos some time) 

Personally, I wouldn't build 'display models' with cut-aways, or disassembled parts, but that's because I prefer my AFV's to be displayed in dioramas rather than on simple 'plinths'. So, IF I were ever to justify the expense of a model tank with full interior, it would be for portraying a 'knocked out' tank in a diorama. I'd have to 'blow it up' as an excuse to expose the innards. And that requires skills that at present, I do not feel I have.

So it's always nice to see someone else take on one of these kits, cut-aways, disassembled, blown-up, or whatever.

You've certainly done a good job so far, with nice painting/weathering of the interior. The photo-etch looks neat and tidy. I assume the PE comes with the kit???

It would be nice to see a photo of turret inner/gun assembly though. As for the boo-boo with the tracks, the join - or lack of join - can be hidden behind the skirts.

Following with interest....(because I have Tamiya's 1/35th king tiger prod. turret waiting impatiently in the stash, with all its faults and omissions)

Badder 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. 

I finally finished the tracks and pretty much hid the bad joins under the skirts (slightly ashamed of myself) 

started oaint layering on the exterior today. Fairly pleased so far. 

Sympathetic weathering to come :-) 

6A672043-28C4-4B38-AE70-B70C891CF1DA_zpsF68E7C3F-2EC9-4362-9290-AD59D8679D25_zps171B0DED-ED3A-4510-A03F-3F870D6FA132_zpsEFEFE3AA-71C9-44D8-AD9D-3206ED6CBC76_zpsB9016D0F-3F89-4A92-923A-D8509700D03E_zps

thats how she stands ATM. 

Right better get a shirt on... taking Ms out for dinner 

catch you all soon 

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 3

This camo is very interesting and the model looks really good. Do you have any info of that painting scheme or it is just your idea? 

• Like 1

My reply box is playing up. Not sure why lol

Its just my interpretation. I understand that the german troops had a fairly free reign with camouflaging their tanks. 

It will weather a bit grubbier so should hide some of the pattern 

Edited by Steve_farrier

I'm not seeing them either now, whereas I could last night. Is this the Google Photos thing, which doesn't allow 3rd party links either? I am told that the links generated are only temporary, and expire after a certain time.

I'm using photobox. So not sure why this is happening? Weirdly they are visible for me. I'll check photobox 

ok read on the forum ounned subject 

photobox are no box are no longer allowing linked photos!! 😡😡😡😡😡

Edited by Steve_farrier

Steve

Now I see them.  That camo is amazing.  The greens browns and yellows are pretty stark but the white fades and blends it all together so the

final product looks very realistic.  I like your version of the brown too as I've found that Nato Brown tends to be a bit too reddish for WW2 vehicles and I'll start using

something more brownish for the next tri-color camo scheme I do.

Do you leave the tools and cables as if the camo was painted over them or are they to be painted differently?

Apparently some tanks had them installed after the camo was painted and some had the camo painted over everything.  I don't know which looks better but 

if the camo is painted over then if a cable or whatever is removed then there is a shadow or outline on the tank.  That would look unique actually if you painted the camo like you have done then removed 

or re-positioned a cable or tool.  I must try that, just a dab of glue to hold the item in place, paint the camo and remove or move  the item.

I also like the grungy lived in interior.  Most models have the interior so pristine it doesn't look natural. I imagine wiping your boots wasn't a high priority and gun smoke,

cigarette smoke and chewing tobacco all add up.

The cutaway idea for display isn't my favourite either.  There's a 1:1 Sherman cut away at the Royal Museum in Ottawa and it looks like a Transformer took bites out of it.

Sure it shows the interior but it is so unnatural I prefer to just have the hull in one piece and the guts hidden.

Keep it up, looks great.

Lloyd

Thanks very much that's high praise! 

Interiors whilst needing to be mechanically sound are rarely ever clean, after the first battle as you say, gun smoke, dirty boots, blood, sweat, cigarettes, oils. Accidents even food spillage... they only ever got a hosing out when someone died in one. Even then it wasn't a particularly good job due to any electrical faults caused by water. 

I actually drive an APC (AFV 432) for an experience day company... and they are bogging inside even the electrics don't work properly... whilst this is lazy it's probably not to far off real... who needs a speedometer in battle!? 

As for the camo ill I'll be leaving the tools painted. My assumption is winter camo was often done by the troops in the field, intact other than the initial camo I can't see why any vehicle would be sent away from the front line to be painted. 

Mostly I believe all the tools would be regularly used so probably should receive some degree of seperate weathering..

Something interesting.........I can only see the pictures if I'm signed in.  So what about all of the casual viewers that haven't set up an account?

I never thought about someone dying inside but I suppose that's true, after all it is a combat vehicle.  I suppose you're right about the winter camo being applied over everything.

Some of these units especially on the Eastern Front probably didn't last long enough for the tools to get even used.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

I can only see 1 photo, the last but one. A very tidy build and excellent camo. I have seen that style of pattern being used and I personally like it almost as much as the 'ambush' camo.

I know that German tank crews painted their camo over the tools as well, but there must have been times when the tools were removed prior to the camo being applied, purely because the tools would restrict access to the underlying hull/deck etc. A lot of tank crews were OCD, and would want a nice tidy continuation of the pattern. 

Furthermore, imagine dropping a camouflaged jack or some other important tool, and then having to spend ages looking for it because it blended in too well with the undergrowth!

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Rearguards,

Badder

Yes I can see this last one too.  But the pics from before where you had added the winter camo are now gone, only the green/brown/yellow camo pics show up.

Weird stuff.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Hi @razzie43 the inside is finished however I've not uploaded the photos to my Flickr account properly yet. It's a basic but weathered look inside as even with all hatches open it's impossible to see most detail without stuffing your eye directly in the hatch lol 😂  

i will at some ooint upload some photos of my trumpeter T34 1/16 full interior as that has a heavily weathered interior 😳