How did the German Luftstreitkrafte keep track of colour schemes?

Beardie

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can answer this question.

How did the Luftstreitkrafte keep track of the colour schemes of fighter pilots?

I have never read anywhere whether they kept a track on colour schemes and emblems of thier fighter pilots but it strikes me that there would have been scope for different pilots to choose very similar colour schemes and it got me to wondering whether there was some sort of register like you would have for jockeys where pilots had to register their particular scheme to avoid misidentification. Strikes me that, if such a register existed, it would be a very handy resource for modellers.

• Like 1

That is an interesting idea and I would have thought that scrupulous documenters like the German armed forces would have such a thing? 

The early knights developed hedelry for a similar reason........ I think comparisons can be made. The aircraft of the German pilots were not decorated for camouflage but for individual identification. 

Andrew 

• Like 1

That was exactly my thinking. You would have thought that, with the German sense of orderliness, they would have been required to keep records of their 'knightly' markings. The attitude of the Germans towards fighter aircraft at that time was one very much modelled on the knights of old and would imply the use of an 'heraldic' register.

• Like 1

It would be good to see a illustrated book produced of the Jasta colours of the First world war and their lineage as groups and of their individual pilots.  A very big family tree type of illustration with movements of key people across the Jastas plotted?  

Andrew. 

• Like 1

Well I would certainly be interested in a copy if anyone were to produce one. An illustrated collection of known individual pilot schemes would be a brilliant item. I am sure that even people who don't have much interest in the subject would find such a book interesting.

• Like 2

That sounds like an interesting project with a lot of research, and potential travel. I wonder where the German archives are kept?  

Andrew. 

• Like 1

Yes I will start with them as I am a subscriber to this society.  I will write them a letter ( I think they are that kind of society ) to see what they say.  They will point me in the right direction I am sure.  

Andrew.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...