New DP Casper decal Set - Congo 1961-1963 in 1/72

Botan

Some new wonderful decals sheet from Czech company DP Casper (72028), covering Civil War in Congo.

222-72028A.jpg

222-72028B.jpg

Edited by Botan
  • Like 6

Doh - just sold (rather gave away) my Heller Tunnan!!

Nice sheet though and its good to see this company back with new decals.

I quite fancy these rarely documented post-war conflicts so hopefully there are more in the pipeline.

Does anyone know if DP Casper are in any way related to DK Decals - there artwork format seems quite similar?

Cheers.. Dave  

After this set, can we look forwards to sets for the Nigerian Civil War/Biafran conflict & the Bay of Pigs invasion attempt on Cuba?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
punktiashun.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Que - must watch the film "Dark of the Sun" ...

Or read this book: On Wings of War: My Life as a Pilot Adventurer (by Jean/Jan Zumbach)

On+Wings+of+War+glen-cook-fan-site.blogs

I really enjoyed it, book covers wars in Biafra and Congo and much more. Too bad there is no decals for Katangese Dove though.

Does anyone know if DP Casper are in any way related to DK Decals - there artwork format seems quite similar?

I don't knowfor sure, but for some time firsts DK Decals were also posted on DP Casper site, later they were removed.

Edited by Botan
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Doh - just sold (rather gave away) my Heller Tunnan!!

Nice sheet though and its good to see this company back with new decals.

I quite fancy these rarely documented post-war conflicts so hopefully there are more in the pipeline.

Cheers.. Dave  

Bad luck Dave - I sympathize !  My Heller Tunnan is just waiting patiently in the stash for this decal set to come along.

Regards Colin

I've not been able to find a Heller Tunnan so recently bought, at no inconsiderable expense :) , a Tarangus J.29 kit & more recently some Moose Republic decals for it with the UN Congo markings among them. An interesting comparison between the two kits on Hyperscale by Mark Davies, Kiwikitbasher here on BM. Is the Heller kit, with its dogtooth wing, correct for the recon version Sweden flew with the UN in the Congo?

Steve.

44 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Is the Heller kit, with its dogtooth wing, correct for the recon version Sweden flew with the UN in the Congo?

Steve,

I tend to recall that part of my 'proposed' Heller Tunnan build would have required the dogtooth wing to be chopped back to resemble a straight leading edge.

I think it was this, plus the raised panel lines that led me down the path to move this kit on, however overall the Heller kit is quite a nice model.

If I see one going for not much at the next model swap meet - I might pick it up once again.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

After posting the above I had a wee furkle around on the net & find that Heller have re-released the Tunnan, & our local version of ebay, namely Trademe has them from Buysend in the UK for not a massive outlay of shekels. Now on my watch list. The same guys are listing them on ebay for just a little more, I've bought from them before & its all been fine. Moose Republic has a some nice decals for camo'd Swedish Air Force ones with one similar to the scheme Airfix put out on thir version of the Heller kit. Wanting to know more of these, I've raided Abebooks for the Mushroom Models volume on the Tunnan too, it seemed to have quite a good section on the Congo ops (to bring this back on to topic. :D ) Now I can't afford these decals, well not just yet, coupla weeks. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

There's also the old Saab J29 Tunnan Profile booklet on free view here - http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aircraft-Profiles/Sweden/SAAB-J29-36

It's not much, however might get you going a bit. I've also got the old Scale Aircraft Modelling 'Aircraft in profile' article. I could scan you copy if it helps?

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There's also the old Saab J29 Tunnan Profile booklet on free view here - http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aircraft-Profiles/Sweden/SAAB-J29-36

It's not much, however might get you going a bit. I've also got the old Scale Aircraft Modelling 'Aircraft in profile' article. I could scan you copy if it helps?

Cheers.. Dave

Yes please Dave, that'd be great, always keen for as much info as possible, you've still got my email?

Steve.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please Dave, that'd be great, always keen for as much info as possible, you've still got my email?

Steve.

Yep - Still got your email address somewhere on my home computer.

I'm chained to the workdesk at the moment, however give us approx 24.0 hours and I'll send it through.

Cheers... Dave (who might be starting to look like the "flying barrel" himself these days!!).  

• Like 1

Indeed a very interesting sheet ! DP Casper has made happy again all those modellers interested in lesser known campaigns.

I'me very pleased to see the option for one of the elusive Italian Sabres sent to Congo, 5 aircrafts that reached the country after a 9000 km flight.

Speaking of the Italian contribution, it would have been nice to have on the sheet one of the Italian C-119s that operated in Congo for the UN in those years. As the crews of two of these aircrafts were murdered by Congolese soldiers at Kindu airbase in 1961, it would have been a nice tribute to have markings for them.

On the positive side, I've toyed with the idea of building one of the Indian Canberras in Congo for a long time, now that the decals are here I only have to find a B.8

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

All done - check your home email address.

Cheers... Dave

• Like 1

Love these kinds of conflicts! Great looking sheet with several aircraft I have on my "to do" list. I had bought some MAV DECALs for a Katanan C47 I'm very eager to get stared on.

And yes I agree with Steve, Nigeria/Biafra would make a very interesting subject if some of the Mercy Airlift aircraft could be included!

Cheers  Paul