1:48 Hawker Typhoon Mk Ib RB396 Hawker Typhoon Preservation Project

This aircraft is something close to my heart as I am the membership and events secretary for the Hawker Typhoon Preservation Project, We are aiming to get the world's only flying Hawker Typhoon MkIb flying again.

This kit is the superb Hasegawa kit with Eduard cockpit upgrade,and 4 prop spinner from Ultracast.

The aircraft was delivered to 174 ‘Mauritius’ squadron on 4th Jan 1945, based at B.100 Goch, and received the code ‘XP-W’. RB396 was lost on operations and was recorded Cat ‘E’ on 1st Apr 1945. Originally equipped with bombs after conversion to the Typhoon (July 1943), 174 squadron converted to rockets by January 1944. The squadron spent the next few months attacking radar stations, flying bomb sites and German communication links in northern France. After D-Day they moved to Normandy providing close support for the Army and attacking German tanks and transport. By September 1944 they had moved to the Netherlands where their remit was offensive sweeps over Germany. On the 1st April 1945 RB396 was the mount of Flt Lt Chris W House setting out from Goch for an offensive sweep. Shortly after selecting his target and releasing his salvo of rockets RB396 was hit by flak, too low to bail out and rapidly losing height Flt Lt House force landed his aircraft to the North East of Denekamp. In the immediate aftermath of the attack the whereabouts of Chris House was not known and as squadron members returned to Goch they reported that he was seen to successfully force land RB396 and it was assumed taken POW, had he survived the landing. He had indeed survived and successfully evaded capture, making his way back to allied lines and much to the surprise of his comrades arrived back at the squadron on 5th April. After 174 squadron was disbanded on 8th April Chris House went on to complete further operations and remained in the RAF until retirement long after the war.

If your interested in further information have a look at:-  http://hawkertyphoon.com/ 

Or: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=hawker typhoon rb396 restoration 

FB_IMG_1497639407133_zpsol3xronr.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639412667_zpskrzt9zbf.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639399512_zpszolwvpyb.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639391898_zpsnznkkp9c.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639364681_zpsozrae74z.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639357257_zps82dcpmcl.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639354414_zpswwirzann.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639345488_zps9f3bcuca.jpg

FB_IMG_1497639335644_zpsrlwtj2or.jpg

• Like 22

A beautiful Typhoon build. I've been following progress on this on Facebook for a couple of years now, I'd love to see this back in the air, I've had a soft spot for Typhoons since I made my first Airfix one getting on for 50 years ago. A question about your progress, last year a wing section was found in the USA, bought from a defunct museum somewhere in Europe I think & snaffled by a Canadian outfit trying to restore one too. Has there been any cross over with info & pieces to copy between the two organisations or have you not needed to do this?

Steve.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-16 at 11:38 PM, stevehnz said:

A beautiful Typhoon build. I've been following progress on this on Facebook for a couple of years now, I'd love to see this back in the air, I've had a soft spot for Typhoons since I made my first Airfix one getting on for 50 years ago. A question about your progress, last year a wing section was found in the USA, bought from a defunct museum somewhere in Europe I think & snaffled by a Canadian outfit trying to restore one too. Has there been any cross over with info & pieces to copy between the two organisations or have you not needed to do this?

Steve.

Hi Steve. That's a great question. At the moment we have no need to collaborate,  Dave (one of the trustees) has the most comprehensive archives of parts, information and technical drawings outside of the imperial war museum.

Thanks for that info. Kind of what I thought but I'd hate to see any jealousy between two outfits preventing either from realising their dreams, not for a moment though am I trying to imply there is any, but the posts about the wing section on FB did leave some queries in my mind. Prior to that I think I thought you were all one & the same. :unsure:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Hello,RMCS - You've made a superb job and complete success of this 'Typhoon' build and I wish you equal success with the real aircraft.Great work in every respect.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1