Variants possible from Airfix's Hawk T Mk1?

Red Dog

Does anyone have any good references for the Hawk and the modifications made to the basic T Mk.1 airframe for each new variant.

Was after more specific changes than just 'export version with uprated engine' or 'weapon carriage upgraded'

I know the 100/120/127 have a completely different nose, 'additional avionics', so they are out of the question (not looking for a scratch building project). So what variants are similar in basic shape to the

Hawk T Mk.1?

Not too concerned with interior differences just looking to use Airfix's 1/48 BAe Hawk T Mk.1 for one of the many interesting paint/camo schemes that I have found on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Red Dog

Broadly speaking, externally, that is the aspect that has more impact on a kit, the first generation Hawks can be divided in two "families"

1) The T.1 and Mk.50 export variants.

2) The Mk.60 export variants

The Mk.50 variants are practically identical to the T.1, although the rear end of the fuselage went through a number of variations (there's a thread here describing these, will look for it and post it). To build one of these, you can easily start from the T.1 and add whatever rear fuselage configuration the aircrafts carried. The Mk.50s could also carry 4 underwing pylons instead of the 2 carried by the T.1s

The Mk.60s differ in the wing leading edge as they had 3 more small fences in addition to the standard Hawk T.1 big fence. To build one of these you would have to add the fences, something that can be very easy or quite difficult depending on your skills. An exception here are the South Korean Mk.67s, that also had a new nose similar to the later Hawk 100. Another exception are the Abu Dhabi Mk.63s that were updated with the so called "combat wing", with wingtip mounted missiles. Originally however they were standard Mk.60 style aircrafts.

IMHO unfortunately the most exotic and interesting paint schemes were worn by Mk.60s, although the Indonesians Mk.53s didn't look bad at all.

Thanks Giorgio exactly what I was after. A new rear fuselage configuration or a few wing fences shouldn't be problem to scratch build.

I think a few of the schemes I was looking at were the Mk.60's and yes the Indonesian ones do look quite good.

Thanks for your help

Right, now to look for decals.

There is of course the new hawk as well,

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-baes-advanced-hawk-makes-flight-debut-438065/

http://www.baesystems.com/en/article/new-concept-hawk-demonstrator-aircraft-takes-to-the-skies 

which has a completely re designed new wing!

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

On 6/17/2017 at 8:12 AM, Selwyn said:

So, at the risk of being lynched by a group of angry engineers, we're basically looking at a T2 with new wings? Any other external changes? 

4 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

So, at the risk of being lynched by a group of angry engineers, we're basically looking at a T2 with new wings? Any other external changes? 

Cant say I know of other external changes  does not say so in the articles.

Selwyn

14 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

I guess a radically new wing is quite something!

Maybe more thrust and fuel economy, i.e. a radically new engine would be another something ;)

The hawk is not famous for its excess power, no?

Edited by exdraken

Thank all for your info and input on the subject.

It is greatly appreciated.

By the way does anyone else think of chocolate cake when they see the Saudi Hawk above?

On 6/20/2017 at 10:03 PM, exdraken said:

I guess a radically new wing is quite something!

Maybe more thrust and fuel economy, i.e. a radically new engine would be another something ;)

The hawk is not famous for its excess power, no?

The T.1 is somewhat miserly on thrust, but the T.2, by all accounts, is something else altogether.

23 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Thank all for your info and input on the subject.

It is greatly appreciated.

By the way does anyone else think of chocolate cake when they see the Saudi Hawk above?

More caramel-chocolate shortcake...

Image result for caramel chocolate

Oh dear, and Thornton's is just next door.:popcorn: