Saab 37 Viggen first prototype - Airfix 1/48

Since I am almost exactly as old as the 50-year celebrating Saab Viggen it was pretty logical to start a few Viggen builds this year. My plan is to build the first and the last Viggen, and I am currently working on a Tarangus JA 37 that will become 37449, the last Viggen. But here is the first one, the first prototype in its first configuration that flew for the first time on February 8 1967:

34139981233_e52a5d4b8e_c.jpg

I used the old Esci/Airfix kit which of course might sound rather stupid... But I had one in my stash, so it was cheaper to build it than to buy a new Tarangus. 

34139979353_c5153bd3e5_c.jpg

Many modifications had to be made. Most visible are the flat back - the typical Viggen "hump" had to be removed - and the V-shaped canards. The huge pitot tube was made by Maestro models.

34139978133_40d3599d70_c.jpg

The wing dogtooth also had to be removed and new radar warning recievers(?) were scratchbuilt (under the wings, later they were integrated with the wing). I also had to make new panel lines and modify the fin and main wheels (both are from the Tarangus kit).

34818590751_d552527d61_c.jpg

I used the Tarangus cockpit, a seat from Maestro and a scratch-built instrument panel. The Viggen prototypes had a mostly green cockpit, like Draken, but unlike the rest of the Viggens where it was light grey. Scratch-built FOD covers were necessary to hide the horrible inside.

34139975853_53f8a65958_c.jpg

Cockpit:

31914965813_c17500caa7_c.jpg

Decals (apart from the roundels) were printed on my own printer. I painted it with Vallejo metal acrylics.

34818592581_6a47c91e36_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

• Like 35

Looks great. Always liked the mighty Viggen. Especially in the splinter como with that big rockets under the wings. But I also like the NMF finish very much and It always reminds me of the stunning Airfix box art by Mr. R.C. This one:

ccc6b08adfa062d606b2d320b4f0ed7b.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Looks great. Always liked the mighty Viggen. Especially in the splinter como with that big rockets under the wings. But I also like the NMF finish very much and It always reminds me of the stunning Airfix box art by Mr. R.C. This one:

Thanks! Yes, this classic boxart has really inspired me. So thanks for reminding me! Actually, I have had a small project to build 1/48 models with the markings of the epic 1/72 Airfix Viggen and Draken, of which I built loads of when I was a kid.

Viggen:

ccc6b08adfa062d606b2d320b4f0ed7b.jpg

34139981233_e52a5d4b8e_c.jpg

Draken:

3528244e7769b41c43117cc5b0a2be99.jpg

DSC_0498_zpsfa602716.jpg

(the differences in markings are due to that Mr. Cross did not get all details right.)

I also did almost the same thing with the old Vertol 107-II, inspired by Roy Cross' box art (IMO one of his best) i built Acedemy's in 1/48 in markings of the 1960s: However i chose another individual:

de1825e21bfbe159478adec1dbb85ac8.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

• Like 12

Beautiful collection of Swedish built/operated aircraft the Viggen is a masterpiece given the original kit you started with.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Hello,Bjorn - I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your most helpful reply to my topic on 'Swedish Grey Schemes'.

I also extend my full compliments to you on your beautifully built and finished collection of Swedish Air Force types.The Draken and Helo look superb but focussing on your main topic,the Viggen,only reinforces my love of this design.I love the NMF and the extra details which catch my eye,including the intake covers.The panel shading and subtle weathering look most realistic.Adding the elegant markings makes this build a resplendent tribute to the type.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

I love Viggens and anything else Swedish made. When I was a kid I just had a huge obsession with them and I don't know why. Seeing the Viggens, Drakens, SAAB 340's, 105's etc was great back in the 90's. I would love a time-machine but that said I do hope to visit the country one day too... A very nice model Bjorn. :)

• Like 3

The viggen is well done here! I also like these, the nmf v that Swedish camo I want to do them and hope you will post more of your work. This is a cracking finish! 

• Like 1