First RFI & return to models - 72nd BoB stuff

So a couple of years back at the grand old age of 40 I decided I needed a cheap (HA!) hobby to keep me from staring at t'internet all night. The natural option was to revert to my childhood and start building models again. As I've developed a deepening interest in aviation in general and WWII specifically, it seemed like a decent area to aim for.

First build was predictably enough an Airfix Spitfire. It was originally a Mk1 - 2 bladed prop, b&w underside, flat canopy. Then the final coat of matt varnish ate the decals & paint. 6 months later I resurrected it as a MkII. OOB, brush painted

34364277273_cbaec3a782_c.jpg

34329089044_ea7a71ca06_c.jpg

34364278873_784876ecc4_c.jpg

Far from perfect, but not too bad given the grief to get that far.

It's stablemate the Hurricane was an obvious next choice. I added an Eduard Zoom interior - mostly for the seatbelts & IP, Brush painted. Oh, and some resin wheels

34329087844_61d2400f29_c.jpg

34329090254_affc4479e0_c.jpg

To complete the trio - a Defiant. Eduard interior again, plus aftermarket wheels, exhausts and guns. Also discovered canopy masks. Rattle can painted. On the whole, rather pleased with this one. A bit "box fresh", but neat & tidy.

34364275753_9b70f2bf1c_c.jpg

34364276253_f4ed289e74_c.jpg

34364280753_90ee04bb10_c.jpg

And all together:

34329091644_3fbe46c0c0_c.jpg

Then came a 109. I followed CedB's build on this quite closely. Complicated paintjob. It's OK, but not as tidy as the Defiant. Rattlecans and Eduard interior bits again. Discovered "haireals" which are much more in scale than my attempts at stretched sprue.

34364272933_4f37b5235f_c.jpg

34364273573_0fbc02dcb3_c.jpg

34364283793_78d0341fd1_c.jpg

Followed by it's bigger, less useful brother. Gave in and bought an airbrush - this was my first attempt, so its not too bad if you don't get too close! Aftermarket decals to avoid sharkmouth disaster.

35133727106_a73d078d42_c.jpg

34364271483_c26207c6fb_c.jpg

34364284703_63926c741b_c.jpg

The 2 germans together. A nice contrast in size.

34364275233_4fc26b7fe5_c.jpg

35008809822_87deb708f0_c.jpg

...and finally the whole gang...

34364285913_ecf6a76116_c.jpg

All pics - Nikon D5000, 18-200 lens at full zoom, min aperture (f36?)

It's been an intriguing, frustrating, fascinating learning process so far.

Bits I need to improve on:-

Handling silly tiny bits and gluing them solidly without making a mess

Airbrush technique - the real biggy.

Keeping the dust down. The pics have actually been quite flattering in hiding the bits of lint glued forever to any flat surface under layers of paint & varnish.

Weathering. - after taking the best part of 6 months per plane - I'm terrified of doing anything more to them that could bollix up all that work!

Comments/criticism gratefully received!

BL

Edited by BikingLampy
spelling
  • Like 40

Trouble with starting a coherent collection is that you feel to have to keep going now. Every European theatre fighter? All variants? ...

Tell me about it. There's a Stuka with most of a cockpit on my bench at the mo, which would make 2 trios of BoB planes, so I could call it a day there. Or as I've started with BoB bombers with the Stuka, I could do He111, Do17, Ju88...

However I'm also under orders from the missus to do a Lancaster at some point (we live I Sheffield and have seen PA474 fly over the Ladybower dams a few times)

And I have an idea for a bit of "wall art" that involves a Black Buck era Victor & Vulcan (although I'm waiting for a Vulcan that won't drive me potty to build and I need a Victor with IFR tackle)

And I'd like to do a Lightning/Canberra/Hunter/Bucc set for cold war stuff.

And possibly a range flown by Eric Winkle Brown

It goes on...

I wish I could achieve such a smooth paint finish once in a while! 

Ha. Lucky photography, flat light & matt varnish help no end!

Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm in awe of some of the work displayed on this forum. These pale into insignificance in comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BikingLampy said:

So a couple of years back at the grand old age of 40 I decided I needed a cheap (HA!) hobby to keep me from staring at t'internet all night. The natural option was to revert to my childhood and start building models again. As I've developed a deepening interest in aviation in general and WWII specifically, it seemed like a decent area to aim for.

Besides build time, I find in this hobby you can spend hours on t'internet researching.

A nice gaggle of a/c's. :goodjob:

Looks like you've got no issues there! What a stunning set of builds, beautifully painted and the photo's just finish off the whole thing quite nicely.

Welcome back to the hobby.

Eng

3 hours ago, BikingLampy said:

That's every aeroplane known to man, isn't it?

Nice little models - the Defiant is my fave. I also like the white-nosed 110.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BikingLampy said:

Well, THAT could take a while, I reckon!

A shorter list, and more doable, might be planes not flown by him, there must be some....?

That's a great collection you've put together. And a good recovery with the spitfire after a disheartening setback.

Character building, isn't it?!

Welcome back! 

Your brush painting is superb compared to mine, nice and accurate.

I returned to the hobby for the second time around 2 years ago. It's quite addictive and the stash can grow like a big expensive growing thing :o!

It's certainly great fun :).

I like all of your models, nice clean builds that display really well. The Defiant looks rather special :thumbsup2: .

I lived in Sheffield for around 15 years. Unfortunately I never saw the Lancaster fly over those stunning dams. I can see how Mrs. BL would like one.

Top tip; whenever your good lady would like to see something made, make it if you can. It will bring big smiles and help when you decide to vanish into the Mancave, for 8 months, to scratch build a Splint-Handleyside Boxflange, seven engine biplane bomber :D!

:goodjob: 

TonyT