Vulcanicity's Swift

Hi folks,

Having finished my Hunter F6 in Borneo, I made a good start on the Airfix Swift, in fact I got as far as needing primer before finding he Humbrol can I had brought with me had run out! There are no Humbrol suppliers in the jungle, and in fact the nearest remotely likely place was Singapore, a cool 966 miles distant! So the painting, decalling and weathering plus final assembly have been done back in Blighty since the end of May.

I added the Eduard interior and exterior etch set, although I didn't bother buying the flap set as the kit offerings were pretty good (good enough, in fact, to tempt me into posing them lowered. I very rarely do this!)

I also added quite a lot of wiring into the undercarriage bays.

This is a nice kit although rather lacking in moulding quality in places. The slide moulding of the upper rear fuselage in particular had left some nasty steps and doubled panel lines which I spent a while cleaning up before I even started. The cockpit, however, is very good, as are the multi-piece intakes and exhaust. The only place rather lacking in detail is the wheel bays, hence my extra effort here. It's brush-painted as per usual, with markings OOB as WK275 of 79 Squadron RAF based at Gütersloh in the late 1950s (the aircraft is now at the Tangmere museum).

Hope you like!

35263443426_ed14d6cdb7_k.jpg

35263442276_f69f665ad4_k.jpg

34916312890_ca4eedad49_k.jpg

35263440686_ba5dd9e245_k.jpg

35137251802_f8e0c674be_k.jpg

35263439816_baa5b66a44_k.jpg

Some of my wiring and the Eduard etch in the undercarriage bays. Typical, I've just spotted a couple of places that need a touch-up!

34916312290_5952b5749d_k.jpg

Last but not least, here's the Swift with a younger, heftier sibling (Xtrakit Scimitar). The wide-angle lens distorts the perspective, the Scimitar is at least 30% larger!

35263438636_6abcd64d0e_k.jpg

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 43

That is a great looking build and very well finished with the hairy stick.  I have one built and just about ready for primer, didn't fit the belly tank though as I personally think it looks awful....!! 

The Scimitar looks absolutely gorgeous as well.

Phil

Beautiful Swift and excellent paint brush work! The extra detailing in landing gear bays was also noted. Good Work, I like this:)

I have this kit in my stash but the clear parts are faulty (beyond help) and replacements are not available from Airfix. So I need a plan B.

Swifts of No. 79 Squadron are a special interest to me as my former boss used to serve with 79 and the Swifts in Germany. He told me many personal recollections and when Nigel Pole's "Swift justice" was first published it was a "must have" at once. Excellent book by the way.

Best Regards,

Antti

I am a volunteer at Tangmere, and one of my tasks is to keep the Swift clean. It is a handsome beast so come along and have a look!

John

Thanks everyone! Comments much appreciated :)

On 15/06/2017 at 2:21 PM, jaw said:

I am a volunteer at Tangmere, and one of my tasks is to keep the Swift clean. It is a handsome beast so come along and have a look!

John

John,

Thanks for the invite! I haven't been to Tangmere since I were a nipper (under 12, certainly!) so at least 15 years ago. It's on my list of places to revisit this summer, so I should be along over the next moth or two!

On 15/06/2017 at 2:42 PM, James G said:

Nice builds! How did you transport them back from the jungle?

In a Tupperware box filled with cotton waste. It didn't work as well with two models this year as it did last year! There's a reason why  I didn't take any close-ups of the Hunter undercarriage on the other thread, it was in about 6 pieces by the time I came back!

Welcome back to civilisation Phil, what a beautiful job you have done on the Swift. I've been keeping an eye out for one of these but so failed to spot one in any shops/model shows. i think I'll redouble my efforts after seeing this.

Cheers

John

• 5 months later...

That's a really nicely done model - I particularly like the angle in the first photo as it shows off the Swifts lines really well and the colour scheme looks good too - nice work on the wheel bay - I  like the picture of it posed with the Xtrakits Scimitar which seems to capture the lines of that aircraft too - thanks for posting

CJP

Very nice kit Phil !

Tupperware can help you in a lot of ways !!:P:P

My kits came back from Zaîre in shoe box and a ... Tupperware !!

No hobby shops in Borneo's jungle ??? Incredible !! :lol:

I really like the 2 kits ! pretty good handbrushing !

Hope for Scimitar in 1/48 by Airfix next year !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp