B-N Trislander - underwing tanks

I am drawing up a Trislander for my club magazine. The subject aircraft (VH-EGU) was fitted with underwing tanks, and I'm looking for dimensions. I have some pictures, but they're not all that helpful because of the angle from which they were taken. 'EGU was not all that much photographed - she was rolled into a ball in the Snowy Mountains only a couple of years after she was delivered. I have quite a few right-hand seat hours in her, but of course never thought to get photos or take measurements before she was lost. Can anyone help with the dimensions, or point me towards someone who may know?

• 1 month later...

Ahoy Admiral, I'm surprised this post has been filled with only tumbleweed so far.
Converting an Islander to a Trislander has been high up on my list of projects for over 40 years (!!), and have collected a fair bit of reference material - from the old Aifix Magazine conversion onward - so maybe a few questions for you to see if I can find anything.

Firstly - from here in the wilds of Scotland, the Reg you seek isn't familiar - what airliner or livery would it carry? (ok, I know its 'Strine)

2.  Are you sure the tanks are not just the same ones the Defender has? (I know - you probably wouldn't have asked if they were).

3.  Can you post a pic to see if the tanks you need are the same as carried by some other Islanders that I CAN get a dimension off?

4.  Begging letter - any chance of a copy of your drawings so I can get started on my project!

G'day Alan,

For the whole of her short life, 'EGU carried the markings of Eagle Airways. I have a picture - one I took at Bankstown just after she was delivered - but can't post it at the moment: when I attempt to do so (having carefully copied the URL from Imgur) I am being told that "the link cannot be embedded because there is no image at that URL". I'll keep trying. Googling "VH-EGU" will bring to light the official report into her crash and some pictures of the wreckage as it now exists down by Cooma, but no pictures of her pre-prang.

The tanks are not the same as those in the Defender. They are a much more streamlined shape, and very similar to the underwing tanks in the old Monogram P-47 kit.

The tanks were, as I understand it, fairly standard fittings on Trislanders. Certainly 'EGU's were factory fitted, and I've seen pictures of other Tris with the same, or similar, tanks on them.

Happy to share my drawings - pm me your email address and I'll send what I've done so far, which is basically everything finished other than the tanks. I also have a copy of an article on Eagle Airways which appeared in an old "Australian Flying", which has a couple of in-flight shots of  'EGU, and can send that as well if you're interested.

I tried to get hold of some Trislander info from BN a couple of years ago with a view to doing much the same as Admiral here.  Unfortunately they wouldn't help due to copyright and data restrictions.

3 hours ago, stringbag said:

I tried to get hold of some Trislander info from BN a couple of years ago with a view to doing much the same as Admiral here.  Unfortunately they wouldn't help due to copyright and data restrictions.

Thanks - at least you got a reply ...

• 4 weeks later...

There was a conversion article in the Almark publication.  Modelworld I think it was called. I have got a copy from that issue and can scan for anyone wishing to do a conversion. Nothing on the wing tank though. I like the pic of |'EGU by theway.

Thanks, Scott - yes, that's the lady in all her glory. Looks like she's being loaded for a night run to Melbourne - maybe even one that I went on. What really peeves me is that I could have photographed and measured her to death, and had every intention of doing so, but then Fate intervened.

Gooday Admiral - good to see you are surviving this foul winter!

Drop by some time and I will edgakate you how Imgur works - took me a while but I have it beaten now.

Can't help with the Trislander but those tanks look like WWII P-51 jobbies! - just a guess.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Ok - let's see if this works:

http://imgur.com/a/SFMaO

Well, sort of ... Looks like I need to do more work!

Call me crazy, but those external tanks look like the ones carried by Meteor F8/9's and the NF11-14's. They are definitely not P-38 or P-51 external tanks. Are there any 1/72 Meteor kits or aftermarket sets that have Meteor drop tanks? Do an image search for DH Meteor drop tanks to see what you think. Just an uneducated observation, mind you, Admiral!

Mike