Trumpeter 1/32 Bf109E-3

Evening folk's,ever since sitting in the pictures as a youngster watching the battle of Britain and the scene where the French airfield is

strafed by those low level I09's I've loved the early schemed Emil's,so for my other build for this GB we move from 1945 to 1940.

I've avoided the reviews of this kit but in the box is a beautifully molded and detailed kit.

20170614_232352_zpsjhuwh44j.jpg

Rubber wheel's and a small PE fret is included.

20170614_232445_zpstdhquyqw.jpg

A large double sided colour plan is included and two nicely printed decal sheet's the Swiss marking's look very impressive but way beyond

the patience level I have!

20170614_232609_zpssesxny0h.jpg

The third scheme is a mottled version of the one above but I'm going for the Classic BoB scheme.

20170614_232622_zpszkxszhym.jpg

So with about another week's work to do on the G10 should get a start after that.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Steve,

Looks like a nice kit. Great to see you doing a BoB classic scheme. A 109 GB wouldn't be right without at least one. 

Cheers Greg ;)

Thank's Greg,I would have liked it to have been the 1/24 Airfix classic kit,one day I will build one!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Morning folk's,I couldn't be bothered to get the paint out for today's bench time so popped open the box and just went for pure construction,started with the 

engine and cockpit I hope to fit the engine as it is a good representation and I think this may be the first time I've used PE.

20170622_102028_zpssdn7yyks.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, galgos said:

The engine looks pretty good Steve, are you intending to display it?

Max

Well looking at the part's to mount it and a dry fit of the one piece cowling which is meant to lift off I'm hoping to Max,just add's a bit more

interest to the final build,I think the real thing had a gull wing method of opening.

Hi Steve,

Great start to your Emil. It looks like a nice kit. I am dabbling in PE too at the moment so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. 

Cheers Greg:yes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Steve,

Great start to your Emil. It looks like a nice kit. I am dabbling in PE too at the moment so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. 

Cheers Greg:yes:

Thank's Greg,there's not a lot of it just what you see and the Harness and radiator grill's so with full colour etch in the 1/32 Airacobra build

I'm also on with I needed to get used to working with it,so far so good!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I think the real thing had a gull wing method of opening.

The early 109's including the E models had the lift off cowl.

The F,G and K had the gull wing style.

Love how you power through these builds Steve, and am really looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

Good idea avoiding reviews ( I am guilty of reading too many).

I think it is too easy to get sucked in by the rivet counters, thus passing up what may be a great kit to build.

It will look like a 109E.

Nice start.:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

Good idea avoiding reviews ( I am guilty of reading too many).

Agree totally Wayne,I've built a few kit's that got a kicking and went together a treat and a good few that were lauded and were a nightmare

and I wondered if I was building the same kit as the reviewer!

• Like 1

Evening folk's,got a bit of bench time today so sprayed and dry brushed the engine and cockpit,I'm doing my usual thing of studying  one

magazine build rather than various reference point's as different colours and details crop up so this one is by a well respected modeller in

an old MAI copy who has Plumbed the engine in great detail some of which I may try,which begs a question,there is a large "Q" shaped

pipe which sits on top of the engine like a halo which is not present on his build,any Idea what colour it should be?

20170624_223311_zpsbojhconk.jpg

And just to add for anyone fancying a go at this kit it has the dreaded  single exhaust's,all twelve of them!

Sorry folk's just my stupid head on I forgot this engine is inverted the pipe in question is on the bottom of the engine

I've now worked it out and moved the large round filter seen above to where it should be:banghead:

20170625_074533_zps1huvng4a.jpg

IP panel just given a"busy" look with a bitof paint and a cocktail stick.

20170625_084245_zpsbirs8aqm.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

so Hobby Boss are using Trumpeter boxes now.

Just testing John,well spotted you win a set of Swiss 109 decals!

• Like 1

I like Trumpeter kits ,even if the shape is slightly out on some  . I dont like haveing to loose sight of all the interior detail that disapears when the sides are closed up . Will the engine cowling fit over ?

• Like 1

It is a shame when all that work disappear's.It looks pretty good fit wise the slight step is only because the underside of the fuselage is not

glued up so all seems well for now,I,ve painted and dry brushed the interior of the underwing scoop's and glued the wing's to the one

piece lower section,this seems a good fit too.

20170625_215046_zpsbdm8lvds.jpg

• Like 1

Hi folk's,got the wing's all assembled without drama,in fact probably the best fitting 109 kit's I've come across with these multi-part

assemblies,had to use a touch of filler here and there along the topfuselage,

20170627_190645_zpsxe0ft8nm.jpg

More filler along the bottom seam and the bulged covers for the MG's are molded in clear plastic,I firtted the gun breeches

although they won't be seen.

20170627_192249_zpslokncl7h.jpg

• Like 2

Cleaned up the filler all look's well and wing's in place, there was a fair sized gap between wings and fuselage which I cured with some scrap

sprue which "spread" out the ofending area for a tighter fit.I also fitted the last part of the engine bay which clicked nicely into place.

20170628_105311_zpsftedlo57.jpg

• Like 2

Morning all,well a decision had to be made about that removable cowl,I could'nt get a good fit that would look OK with it loose without hacking great

lumps out of it to get it to sit right,so I've fixed it in place,that said it 's been really enjoyable painting and detailing the eng know it's in there I've

given the air frame a prime after filling in a few areas here and there.

20170630_102257_zpsclszj0we.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi folk's,well I don'tknow what's going on with PB,unlike other poor folk my photo's have remained unblocked,my capacity with 2000+ on

there is only running at 10% although I believe that's not the issue so I'll continue for now.Anyway I've sprayed the Light blue and masked 

of for the light gray,for a change I bought dedicated RLM colours from Mr Hobby and I love the coverage they give here how she look's.

20170702_104632_zpspagwva0r.jpg

• Like 3

Mr Hobby paints do spray well Steve, did you thin them at all or straight from the bottle?  I reckon their RLM colours are as accurate as any.  The 109 is looking good so far.

Max

• Like 1

16 hours ago, galgos said:

Mr Hobby paints do spray well Steve, did you thin them at all or straight form the bottle?  I reckon their RLM colours are as accurate as any.  The 109 is looking good so far.

Max

Thank's Max I thinned a little with Tamiya acrylic thnners just a touch used though,I'm very impressed so far they are only5p more than Tamiya

bottles at my LMS,I need FAA colours for the radials rockGB for a Wildcat hope they dothem.

Edited by stevej60