Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
billybookcase

Argos (the shop) a warning

75 posts in this topic

I bought something on Saturday, and whilst waiting for the said item I glanced at the receipt, which said "a copy of this receipt has been sent to email address "johnxxxx@hotmail.com".

Now johnxxxx@hotmail.com is definitely not my email address, and I hadn't even asked for a copy to be sent to me as an email.

I queried this and was assured by the assistant that the only thing in the email was the last 4 digits of my credit card, "what about the expiry date etc?", I asked.

To cut a long story short they deleted the email "before it could be sent", which I'm not to sure is true.

Anyway I'm not too happy that a copy of my credit card details can be sent to any tom dick or harry, and I shall be complaining to Argos about it, not that they will probably be bothered like.

But also is this a breach of the data protection act at all?

Cheers

BB

1 person likes this

Did you ask why it was sent to that email in the first place and who placed the email address there for it to be sent.

Looks like another reason to avoid having anything to do with Argos.  

I hope BB doesn't mind me recounting a different but also maddening Argos experience as a warning to anybody who might think of using the "Click and Collect at Argos" facility on eBay.  

A few months ago I discovered I had lost the spanner for the filter on my central heating boiler.  It's a simple plastic device a bit like a large letter "P".  I bought a replacement on eBay and chose to click and collect at Argos.  Unfortunately it was my wife who did the collecting, she was in a hurry and she didn't realise she'd been given a jiffy bag which had been opened and the spanner removed!  As soon as we discovered what had happened I went straight back to the shop with the empty jiffy bag and demanded my spanner only to be told by the half-witted child behind the counter that it had been removed and destroyed because of "security"!  What??? A plastic spanner whose sole purpose in life is to open a central heating filter is a security risk?  Needless to say I went ballistic but the gormless idiot behind the counter couldn't/wouldn't give any proper explanation and didn't even apologise.  Surly indifference appears to be the default Argos response to any complaint however well founded. The eBay seller was totally nonplussed but very helpfully sent me another spanner, this time direct to the house. Whether he had any success getting compensation from Argos I have no idea.

Reading BB's e-mail story reinforces my decision never, ever to deal with Argos in any capacity again.

3 people like this

I'll join in on this one. Bought a computer desk off eBay and decided that rather than get it delivered to my home, it would be sensible and secure to get it delivered to my nearest Argos branch which is one of the new fangled "in a Sainsburys"  Argos stores which is only a mile or two from my work and a slight detour from my journey home. I rocked up at the store on the appointed day to be told that they didn't have said item. And then it dawned on the spotty faced cretin and his buddy that indeed they had had the desk delivered to them but had refused to accept it because it was too big for their store! At which point I had a bit of a melt down and a rant about Argos saying they provide a click & collect service and failing miserably to provide that service. When the desk finally returned to the sellers warehouse (don't ask!!!0 to add insult to injury the seller refused to deliver to my home address as his courier (a national company) couldn't deliver to my post code. So thanks to Argos I never did get my computer desk.

2 people like this

Yes. Report to Data Protection Commissioner.  Duty of care, seems to be clear breach of that to me.  Possible  evidence of card info. harvesting so *may* be worth contacting bank and keeping close eye on your account.

Don't have my data protection act handbooks convenient so can't give definitive answer.

I was in Halfords a week or so ago, and was asked if I wanted a copy of my receipt emailed to me , for a £10 purchase, I laughed at them and said no , thinking is was simply a means of gathering contact details for direct marketing .

If you're buying a £500 bike I suppose there might be a reason for it , but a couple of cans of paint , no chance 

5 people like this

If you sell on Ebay, you get an option to let the customer pick up their stuff from Argos, we don't use that option and it sounds like we made the right choice! It sounds like an extra level of hassle. We'll stick to RM deliveries!

thanks

Mike

2 people like this

2 hours ago, TheLurker said:

Yes. Report to Data Protection Commissioner.  Duty of care, seems to be clear breach of that to me.  Possible  evidence of card info. harvesting so *may* be worth contacting bank and keeping close eye on your account.

Don't have my data protection act handbooks convenient so can't give definitive answer.

I drew up my companies data protection protocols many years ago and since retirement have wondered if it still exists, after all some Government departments are selling information like there is no tomorrow to commercial interests!!!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I made the mistake of using Argos last year for the first and last time. I wasn't really dressed for the occasion; my clothes were clean and of a decent sartorial cut, I had shaved, showered and applied molecular spray to body areas that morning. Little did I know what was in store when I entered the premises. A sea of grubby odour emitting ghouls clad in polyester and nylon, a pervading odour that can only be described of as a mix of the beginnings decomposition and well established desperation.

Sales assistants who looked resigned to their fate after having 'escaped' the drudgery of working in a Clownburger outlet who no doubt had an underlying thought of 'the clientele are the same but the uniform has changed.'

Edited by Darby
spelling
10 people like this

21 minutes ago, Darby said:

A sea of grubby odour emitting ghouls clad in polyester and nylon, a pervading odour that can only be described of as a mix of the beginnings decomposition and well established desperation.

Hilarious ! The Jeremy Kyle army have to buy stuff somewhere !

3 people like this

7 hours ago, Mikemx said:

If you sell on Ebay, you get an option to let the customer pick up their stuff from Argos, we don't use that option and it sounds like we made the right choice! It sounds like an extra level of hassle. We'll stick to RM deliveries!

thanks

Mike

To me it's the best thing since sliced bread :) Very handy when no-one is at home so can be sure of getting hold of it when I want rather than try to be in the house hoping I've chose the right day.

Like everything else there are good and bad, all 3 stores in Ipswich have been friendly courteous and always try their best with me, in fact I've come to the conclusion they're one of the better customer orientated stores in my neck of the woods.

Harley John, I can see where you're coming from and I wouldn't be happy with that service but those Argos in Sainsburys have tiny tiny warehouses and rely on the large "ordinary" stores to feed them once or twice a day so to keep furniture for click and collect would be tricky so they should really have notified you of that to start with so that you could've maybe picked it up at the parent Argos instead

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, TheLurker said:

I doubt the OP's experience was a breach of data protection. An email address that doesn't exist and four digits of a credit card isn't personal data.

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

Like everything else there are good and bad, all 3 stores in Ipswich have been friendly courteous and always try their best with me, in fact I've come to the conclusion they're one of the better customer orientated stores in my neck of the woods.

You are clearly very fortunate Toe.  It takes a truly special kind of idiocy to destroy a plastic spanner on the grounds of "security" (which also raises the question what right Argos have to open a package addressed to a third party) then hand the empty jiffy bag to the collecting customer without a comment, let alone an explanation

2 people like this

9 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

I was in Halfords a week or so ago, and was asked if I wanted a copy of my receipt emailed to me , for a £10 purchase, I laughed at them and said no , thinking is was simply a means of gathering contact details for direct marketing .

If you're buying a £500 bike I suppose there might be a reason for it , but a couple of cans of paint , no chance 

I had the same today on a cash sale. I also went to Screwfix, who wanted to do the same, again a cash sale, but they insisted on giving me a 'customer card' which will never see the light of day. They still had me on record from my last purchase some 7 years ago. I did manage to get off their weekly emailing list. I wonder if it will start again now?

I'm not sure if they are idiots/morons,a few weeks ago my son went into a store over here to see if he could find some cork for a step out of the shower for my dad (84) and got a lecture about global warming and the future of the planet (she'd been brainwashed,must have been)....

How does cork matting affect global warming? :wonder:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Beardie said:

How does cork matting affect global warming? :wonder:

Don't ask me mate,got some from Amazon in the end but what struck me was the way he said she spoke to him as in trained to say it....

Edited by Vince1159

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

I doubt the OP's experience was a breach of data protection. An email address that doesn't exist and four digits of a credit card isn't personal data.

The e-mail address wasn't the OP's address.  The OP didn't say that the address didn't exist.  It may be a valid e-mail address and the OP had only the shop assistant's word that no significant information was included. 

I'm probably wrong, it's a very long time since I studied DP regs in detail1, but, IIRC,  if the data can be used to identify an individual - and that is possible from card details - then the data are subject to DP regs.  Even if this case isn't within the letter of the acts (1984, 1987, 1998) and the upcoming GDPR then it is most definitely contrary to the spirit and points to a sloppiness in data handling worthy of investigation.

1 - Writing healthcare apps.  Nuff sed?

Edited by TheLurker
Typo
2 people like this

14 minutes ago, Beardie said:

How does cork matting affect global warming?

Not one jot.

They don't cut the tree down to harvest cork - it's stripped of a living tree and the cork grows back. Which sounds a very ecologically friendly thing to do, its been happening for thousands of years after all. Not sure if the tree is that happy about it, don't think any ones bothered to ask.

Probably has a lot to do with @T7 Models post on stupidity - we can grow them just as dim as the US.

2 people like this

The retail world has to find a new direction and the ebay thing via argos is ridiculous.

Argos is good for certain things however that are not easily available on what's left of the high street.

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

Not one jot.

They don't cut the tree down to harvest cork - it's stripped of a living tree and the cork grows back. Which sounds a very ecologically friendly thing to do, its been happening for thousands of years after all. Not sure if the tree is that happy about it, don't think any ones bothered to ask.

Maybe they're worried about beatles or where squirrels are going to hide their nuts...

3 people like this

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Screwfix

Being digitally stalked by Screwfix sounds a bit worrying.

I'm fed up with being asked for email addresses in shops  like its their right to know it.

I use Argos a lot, and do understand personal hygiene, so find some comments offensive, I've never had an issue, with purchases or eBay collections and working full time, and my wife works full time find the collection facility very helpful, and the staff much nicer than our local Royal Mail sorting office, that is only open 9-3 Monday to Friday, 9-12 Saturday. 

6 people like this

I don't have a problem with my local Argos. Sometimes it's handy to send a parcel there. Saves me waiting in. My regular postie rocks up anywhere between 11:30 and 14:00, and the relief guy cards a parcel rather than leave it with a neighbour. Wastes a whole day waiting in for parcels that may not even turn up. The Argos staff are presentable and polite, perhaps it says more about the locale than the store.

1 person likes this

Just being nosey now but can someone explain the Argos thing too me, I'm guessing they contract to be a pick up point & there is a fee involved. What sort of business are they? It seems that their branches vary in performance & size quite a lot, no doubt some-one in head office saw this as a nice little earner without thinking thru the logistics properly???

Steve.