Vulcanicity's Hunter [Built on location in Borneo]

Hello folks!

Those who have seen my posts before may or may not remember that as a tropical forest ecology student I spend four months or so every year in Borneo. Following on from my successful Vampire built there last year, and motivated by the need to keep reducing my stash when when not in the UK, I shoe-horned the Revell Hunter and Airfix Swift into my rucksack this year - and managed to complete the Hunter and get the Swift 75% done! Not too bad considering the heat, discomfort and the fact I work six day weeks for fthe whole period.

Anyway, here's the Hunter: it's actually the FGA9 which I bought for silly money at Telford a few years back - but I've back-converted to an early F6 by hacking an F6 tailpipe off the first Revell Hunter I built a good decade back, when you could actually buy the kit without selling major body parts. It represents XF526 of 63 Squadron, which flew Hunters briefly in the late 1950s before reforming later as a "Shadow" unit as part of the Central Flying School with FGA9s in the 1970s. I added some scratchbuilt sidewall detail, a bit of representative wiring in the undercarriage bays, a resin ejector seat and mainwheels from Quickboost, and the decals are Xtradecal. Hope you like! As well as being a pleasingly unusual squadron, it has a local connection as 63 were based at Waterbeach not a million miles away from Ms.Vulcanicity's folks in Ely.

35174129941_ff051daf76_k.jpg

35263452986_fcbdf5c2c8_k.jpg

35263451486_f3adf40a07_k.jpg

35263448546_1fd05f8f44_k.jpg

35263447506_87cea72be3_k.jpg

35263446416_cd23d21a7b_k.jpg

35263445556_e4d67ada1c_k.jpg

Lastly, here's the view from my modelling desk over the jungle! The sharp-eyed might spot the Hunter in this view.

35180465591_4d8dab1938_k.jpg

• Like 38

Modelling in a jungle hut, that's quite a different approach.

I'm tempted to ask how you carry all the kits, paints, tools, glue in your rucksack without damaging them?

Surely there won't be any hobby shops nearby to stock up on those items.

And is that Malaysian or Indonesian side of Borneo?

Just curious, because I have been to the Indonesian side (Balikpapan, Berau, Derawan) recently.

And of course, your Hunter turned out pretty nice given the conditions!

Thanks for all the compliments folks!

2 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Modelling in a jungle hut, that's quite a different approach.

I'm tempted to ask how you carry all the kits, paints, tools, glue in your rucksack without damaging them?

Surely there won't be any hobby shops nearby to stock up on those items.

And is that Malaysian or Indonesian side of Borneo?

Just curious, because I have been to the Indonesian side (Balikpapan, Berau, Derawan) recently.

And of course, your Hunter turned out pretty nice given the conditions!

Tupperware boxes, mostly! I have to carry quite a bit of field kit with me some of which goes in a hard suitcase, so most of the modelling stuff goes in there. Paint, glue and filler are fine as long as you double-bag them with clips to seal the bags - and keep them religiously in the bags to avoid evaporation in the heat. Tools etch just went in a cloth tool roll. Space is quite an issue, I had to be very selective with numbers of paint (hence two aircraft with similar schemes) and e.g. buy one Xacto handle that could take multiple tool heads rather than take a knife, scriber, razor saw, etc etc.

Getting the models back is much more of a challenge! The Hunter undercarriage required quite a lot of splicing back together despite having been in a Tupperware full of cotton thread waste - this was mostly due to me putting the Swift in on top and pressing down too hard on the cotton waste as I packed it in on top.

As for hobby shops, no indeed. The nearest is probably Singapore which is nearly 1000 miles or two flights and a three-hour drive away! I had to be entirely self-sufficent.

The biggest challenge is none of these however: it's humidity. Swann-Morton blades in particular go rusty at almost visible speed, even if you keep them in sealed ziploc bags. The same is true of scriber blades and drill bits! I had to be extremely careful to keep decals dry and sealed as well.

I work near Tawau, which is in SE Sabah, so Malaysian side. I'd love to see Kalimantan, very jealous!

• Like 3

I love the view from your window, the only thing that doesn't come across is what must be phenomenal heat out there!

Another super job on the Hunter, those 63 Sqn markings are really classy. The paint job is excellent too, you must be the master of the hairy stick!

Cheers

John