Academy 1:72 Republic P-47 ("Pride of Lodi")

Another in the seemingly endless stream of P-47s coming from the 72 Land production facility (we're over 25 now). This is the Academy kit, with Kits World 72-132 decals. As always from these producers, the kit and markings performed without drama. 

The plane belonged to the 342nd Fighter Squadron, 348th Fighter Group, 5th AF, and was piloted by Commanding Officer Lt Col Robert Rowland in 1943. He survived the war and was credited with 8 aerial victories. 

I am fairly happy with this one, no doubt due to my experience in building P-47s. Though I noticed one gear door escaped the scene before the photo session. Now I've got to find the freakin' thing...

This is completed aircraft #476 (9 aircraft, 2 ordnance, 7 vehicles for the year 2017), finished in June of 2017.

DSC_0744_zpse2q5zhvx.jpg

DSC_0745_zpsbstffy0x.jpg

DSC_0746_zpssbrq29no.jpg

• Like 19

A beautiful model. The white tail and wing leading edge are very cool. The fuselage star-and-bar without blue contour is interesting, too. Congratulations!

There's an old CCR's song...

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 11:15 PM, Mitch K said:

Really nice! Does it build well? I'm after one to build as an 8th Air Force rescue bird, so I'm picking up tips.

I think the majority of my 25+ P-47s are the Academy kit. At half the price of the Tamiya one, it builds very well. Offhand I can't think of any major gotchas. I do recommend a masking set, at least for the razorback; it just makes life so much easier.

My standard comment is that if you are going to build only one 1:72 P-47, make it the Tamiya kit. If you want a lineup, the Academy kits are well suited for that approach. 

• Like 1

One thing the Tamiya kit does better than Academy is the structure under the engine within the front cowl opening which has the turbo & oil cooler intakes in it. This is poorly represented in the Academy kit but is not hard to scratch build a better representation. Other than that, I agree with Kevin.

Steve.

• Like 1