Rusty Rat Rod

I had the bodyshell which I chopped and welded together, I had wheels/tyres,engine,steering wheel, seats and made most of the rest. My first dropped rat rod.

51_zpswc3fkkge.jpg

60_zps2wka0j6i.jpg

61_zpsh5ztkwzo.jpg

63_zpsgz17j4jr.jpg

64_zpsf4wtve0q.jpg

68_zpsu3wqhcq3.jpg

Oh and I opened up and hinged the doors.

• Like 6

Thanks BeastieBoy73. I built the one on the left as was in red, so I had the middle grey closed cab unit left in the box with a few bits, and used it on this.

1_zpsn0n07dvz.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 3

Yes BeastieBoy73, I have plenty of imagination that sometimes wakes me up at 4am, but trying to make, fabricate, bond or bend, tends to be a little bit more difficult, but it comes out OK in the end. I tend not to like boring standard/traditional things/designs/colours and have a need to modify.

Now I'm thinking I should have factored in a roof rack and put one of my surfboards on it!

Edited by PatW
  • Like 1

Cheers Celt, yes something different again. I must look in previously used boxes for more car bodies and use more bits from the spares box!

7 hours ago, Billydick said:

bet its sounds awesome when that engine is fired up ! :D  Great work as usual Pat !

BillyD

Thanks BillyD, you get ear plugs as standard!

• Like 1

Great job, we think alike i seldom build as should be i however would not have the skill or guts to hack and bend and weld as you have. Keep at it. Loving the imagination.

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Groovy, Dude!

Thanks Pete in Lincs, and stay very groovy too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Great job, we think alike i seldom build as should be i however would not have the skill or guts to hack and bend and weld as you have. Keep at it. Loving the imagination.

Cheers kpnuts. But all I do is buy evergreen sheet/strip and rod/tube and copy something else. Here's a few pics of the build.. firstly the cab, which was the grey one in the centre of the box art. Decide how low or what shape you want, in this case a wedge. Decide on the height of the screen, cut the back and bottom of the screen in the same place. Cut the sides of the screen to choice. File a 45 degree angle on the rear sides of the cab and stick together. Once dry add a thin strip of evergreen plastic and score it with a sharp file so it looks like a weld........

13_zpsjswubmde.jpg

On the chassis copy the other kit sides and end, using the thin plastic strip cut different lengths and bottom it's thin bend a curve glue the first longest bent strip to the chassis and add the shorter pieces on top to give the appearance of suspension springs.

22b_zpsxybepuvb.jpg

Find various sizes, again of evergreen rod and copy the rear axle and add to the top of the springs....

27_zpscsw7atep.jpg

Add wheels/tyres/ brake discs from the spares box and hey presto! Do the same at the front to suspend the engine/radiator/front axle

33_zpsxnyqc8if.jpg

Wanted to show a few more pics but Photobucket has just broken again!

• Like 1

Yes kpnuts, find a cheapie kit on ebay that's perhaps already been started, so it's not too costly when things go askew. But great satisfaction when it goes well.

Thanks donsidedave. My first shot at an 85% scratchbuilt Rat.