Italian F-104 ejection seats

Dennis_C

Hi all,

I'm looking through various references about Italian Starfighters and can not figure out what ejection seats were used on their F-104Gs and when different seats were used. 

S, S.ASA, S.ASA.M versions all used MB GQ-7A seats. While Gs seem to be initially equipped with Lockheed C2 seats and then retrofitted with MB. 

I would greatly appreciate if anybody could share thoughts when this update could have happened :) 

Regards, 

Dennis

By memory, the change from C2 to MB was around the middle of the '70 ; pratically all the S and successive variants had the MB. The G had the C2 from start and then the MB.

To gain room the MB seat was mounted with a light (some degrees) tilt to front.

r.

• Like 1

I believe the change occurred earlier as the first instance I found of an ejection from an F-104G using an MB seat occurred in 1972.

I've seen references to the introduction of the IQ7 (the MB variant used by Italian Starfighters) in the late '60s but I have pictures showing the C2 in 1969. Very early '70s sound like a good approximation until someone find some official documentation.

As a comparison, the Luftwaffe replacement program was launched in 1967.

The GQ7 and IQ7 variants of the differ somewhat in the headrest, may or not be an issue depending on how nitpicking a modeller wants to be

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Grazie mille per le informazione!

I thought I'll be doing a very early G to be able to use a very nice Aires short resin exhaust and make an aircraft of 5 stormo at Rimini-Miramare. So this should up until very early '70 and C2 seat should be more appropriate then. Thanks again - most helpful confirmations!

Hi Dennis,

I had the same question before I started building my 6 stormo F-104G. I have a book regarding the Italian F-104G

81DjRQ8V2SL.jpg

And has a lot of pictures of various F-104's. Some with C2's some with MB's.

I found out that the F-104 I was going to make was the first one to have an ejection with an MB-seat. So the first F-104G ejection with a MB seat (not sure if that's something good though :lol:)

Can you specify the one you're building? Maybe my book can help you specify which seat you might want to use.

Evert

2 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Hi Evert,

I was actually going to build a Starfighter from this shot

http://www.i-f-s.nl/683d-6631-6640/ 

Looks like this is MM6637 with code 5-24 while with 5 stormo in the late 60s.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

MM6637 is actually a RF-104G not an F-104G. This particular F-104 was in service till 16th January 1990 according to the book. Picture I have in the book show the 5-21 in 1969 with a C2 seat.

Keep in mind that the RF-104G did not have the canon fitted so you have to close that one on your model.

Good luck building!

Cheers Evert