This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

WV908

Powered and authentic Concorde visor - in 1/72!

Posted (edited)

I wonder if this discussion has popped up anywhere else before... well here goes;

I have a plan to create a fully working Concorde droop nose in 1/72 - simple enough with the Heller/Airfix/Revell mechanism bulked up and a high torque motor with cog fitted? Well, no, not really. The (lets just call it Heller) mechanism is wrong in that it actuates both the visor and nose at the same time as one linked unit - this is both incorrect, fragile, sloppy in movement and the visor ends up sitting in the wrong place. Oh and the whole nose / cockpit is wrong too :huh:

So, utilizing 3D printing and good old brass tube, I aim to make my own. I've come across various drawings on the interweb showing the mechanism in all it's complicated Anglo - French glory. Any input here from Concorde buffs will be greatly appreciated as this is my primary design using the available references as faithfully as possible to make it work. The point of power for the visor is different though, in that I have chosen a small low torque motor in the nose cone with a threaded shaft. A large weight attached to the CofG of the solid visor bottom should keep it all balanced, which leads to..... For the actual nose cone movement, a large high torque motor sandwiched under the flightdeck works on a half cog moulded into the new 3D printed nose cone. The frame for the new visor will also be 3D printed with all hinges incorporated;

concorde%20nose%20idea_zpsofejutvn.png

It is planned to actually make the aircraft capable of moving along a short taxiway incorporated into a section of my model railway using a home built version of the faller car system. I don't know wether i'll bother trying to motorize the flying surfaces but I do plan to fit a digital sound emulator and lights. If it looks viable then i'll start a WIP and the aircraft will either be AC or AF, the only two I saw fly

Cheers,

WV908 

Edited by WV908
Additional info and revision

Posted (edited)

Slightly revised design;

Each curved rail now has a three point dolly to hold it, then for stability and to reduce both the weight and stress on the nose hinge, the visor motor has been moved to the back of the nose and will seat nicely under the instrument panel (I hope). A basic gearbox has also been added, although in practice it will be a reduction gearbox. A very low voltage will be applied to each motor to make the mechanisms move as slowly as possible;

concorde%20nose%20idea_zpsaolke1l3.png

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
Another drawing revision

Bonkers, but you have my utmost respect!

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted (edited)

Bonkers seems to fit the bill haha, thanks for the encouragement lasermonkey - The correct threaded shaft motor that I need for the visor has already been sourced - weirdly I found the same motor from two different countries with an almost £80 difference between! If there are any more nose design updates i'll put them into the discussion here, but the physical modelling will have it's own WIP once things start

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

Good luck..You deserve success just thinking of it. So many fulcrums. I can follow your thinking with that curved track to pull it down and forward. Getting the right strength with no distortion that will change the individual component's time to the required position for it all to work. Then getting the stops, retract and deployed right too. Can't wait to see you do it !

Get some Migraine tabs on repeat prescription !

I think i'll have some of those migrane tablets too bzn20 - The curved track is the way that the production visor was originally designed, so if i get that in the right place it should just be a case of getting the bars the right length - the key to all of it though is mounting the pivoting motor correctly to create the least stress. Stop blocks will be no issue as i'll have the track with some 'green' as we call it - simply level sections at each end for overrun. My eyes look a bit like Paul Bradley's just staring at the drawings haha

The work in progress part of this has been tagged onto my old Concorde WIP thread, as promised technical info and mechanism discussion will still be deposited here in the discussion, but physical progress will go there.

Link to WIP; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961375-airfix-172-concorde-was-g-bbdg-now-g-boacf/

Cheers,

WV908

Genius at work! Market it as a kit. I'll buy one!

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if it is of interest to you, but the nose on the Airfix/Heller kit is a bit off.

I can't recall if the visor is too long or short (I think too long) it is also think 'squashed', the side panels should be more upright. I also recall that the windscreen is too sloped. I also think the nose hinge part is too long and the whole nose too circular in cross section, whereas it should be more oval.

It's has been some time since I tinkered with my Concorde, but I should have some images that illustrate what I am talking about...

Matt

EDIT - what I meant by 'of interest' is that the operation of the visor may be of more interest than the total accuracy of the parts..

Edited by Mattlow

Posted (edited)

Hi Matt, I've done a fair bit of research over the past few weeks and have discovered just how wrong the Heller nose is - I always knew the visor was too long, but I'm sat here with the shell of the new nose almost done in CAD and it looks so wrong - because it's right and I'm used to handling the Heller nose. I'll post screenshots on the WIP when it is ready, but once it's printed the difference between my 3D design and the Heller will be massive. I've used my own photos of DG, DN and AC for a lot of the visual reference. Unfortunately the Heller visor mechanism is completely wrong too. Incidentally that is the cause of the incorrect visor position when the nose is up. Cheers for the input :)

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

Hi Neil,

I'm halfway through a house build at the minute, and the motor I ordered for this in June has only just turned up. There will be progress in the WIP as soon as I have a new workbench built up

Cheers,

WV908

nevermind the walls, get that bench built! <_< I'd love a functional droop-snoot for my big Heller Konk ^_^

Sounds utterly mad, but I add my voice to those hoping it comes off!

I immediately started thinking back to my model railway days. By no means the only, but certainly one of the most established suppliers of miniature motors, gearboxes, worms, cranks, pins etc, is a company called Markits. Might be worth checking out for components?

http://www.markits.com/