Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

Switched Identities   18/06/17

If you are still having problems logging in and remaining under your own username following the DDoS attack last week, you need to log off, clear your browser's cache, and restart your browser to ensure you clear all the old files from your temporary area.  Then you should be sorted.
TonyTiger66

Fire at Grenfell Tower in London

85 posts in this topic

I have just heard the news of the awful fire in London. 

According to the BBC at least 50 are in hospital and lives have been claimed.

I hope no one from BM has suffered, but just to send my condolences to those affected, their families and friends

The fire services have shown great bravery, running up the stairs in the burning building to try to save residents. My greatest respect to them and the other emergency services.

Best regards

TonyT

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I've just seen this on news.

It's utterly heart wrenching. 

What ever your faith, please pray to your God for the poor families involved. 

Edited by cngaero
4 people like this

6 minutes ago, bootneck said:

absolutely agree but perhaps pray rather than prey.

Mike

Sorry Mike, duly edited.

1 person likes this

I've spoken to fire fighters in the past and these tower block fires are amongst the things they dread the most.

My thoughts are with the people involved and their families.

I sadly cannot see much other than a big casualty figure resulting from this, sadly.

Saw it on our local news tonight as well as a local Mexican Restaurant ( Amigo's ) in my town that was burnt to the ground overnight and witnessed it in person. Huge blaze but no-one was hurt or killed luckily here in Toowoomba.

The fire in London looked absolutely horrific !

Horrific is an understatement. I saw some pics earlier, and it was like something out of Dante's Inferno. My heart goes out to everyone affected :(

4 people like this

Just catching up with this now,terrible situation,those Emergency service personnel are going through the ringer right now in London.

one thing striking me since recent event's in London and Manchester is the almost inane question's TV interviewer's are asking people

caught up in event's the BBC coverage I'm watching for confirms this.

6 people like this

Sky has been worse.

1 person likes this

This was lead item in our evening TV news. Oh bloody hell, beyond horrible. My thoughts have very much been with those affected & we don't know the half of how bad it is yet I feel. Big sympathy to anyway personally involved.

Steve.

2 people like this

I know they are there to report and obviously folk want to know but there's an almost "Ghoulish" line to their reporting forgetting that

there are people watching and listening with friend's and family also watching.

7 people like this

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I know they are there to report and obviously folk want to know but there's an almost "Ghoulish" line to their reporting forgetting that

there are people watching and listening with friend's and family also watching.

It's the corollary of having continuous coverage over hours & hours and the need to fill all that time with audio, even if it is drivel. What I thought was the most interesting  of the coverage was the guy who pointed out that the place went up so quickly  after a £10 million pound refurb a short while ago and put forward the concept that developers had been trying to get the high rise buildings round there demolished to open the area for redevelopement with the obvious inference of duplicity. Whilst most of the other interviews with other people were repeated ad nauseum as usual, this one was not.

8 people like this

Someone else said that a group had been telling the council over and over again about problems and they were ignored....

Years long blog about this specific building being a fire hazard:

https://grenfellacti...ying-with-fire/

A short passage from the blog:

We have blogged many times on the subject of fire safety at Grenfell Tower and we believe that these investigations will become part of damning evidence of the poor safety record of the KCTMO should a fire affect any other of their properties and cause the loss of life that we are predicting:

That being said, I pray that all souls be saved. 

6 people like this

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Just catching up with this now,terrible situation,those Emergency service personnel are going through the ringer right now in London.

one thing striking me since recent event's in London and Manchester is the almost inane question's TV interviewer's are asking people

caught up in event's the BBC coverage I'm watching for confirms this.

Try listening to bleeden Jeremey Kyle, or take my advice and don't what a plonker the questions he asks people for dramatic impact

2 people like this

Or Sky telling a child

At least you got   the day off school 

Where do they get these idiots from

6 people like this

What a horror!! This reminds me somewhat of a video I've seen before in France, where the fire runs through the facade very quickly. I believe that the exterieur insulation was made of highly flamable material. PUR or something like that. Very sad with all these victims!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o34slPoa-8

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, colin said:

Jeremey Kyle

No swearing! :puke:

However - can we keep away from the disgracefully insensitive press though, as it'll just end up as one insensitive rant after another.  Let's not be as bad at the press :fraidnot:

4 people like this

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

No swearing! :puke:

However - can we keep away from the disgracefully insensitive press though, as it'll just end up as one insensitive rant after another.  Let's not be as bad at the press :fraidnot:

I don't think anyone on here could sink that low

Have you ever heard of Jacob Zuma?

1 person likes this

Driving home, I have to use the A40 coming into town. You can still see the smoke even though it’s a few miles away.:(

Mart

It would appear to be the plastic cladding material that was fitted during the refit that  burnt so fiercely One of the complaints from residents is that the fire escapes were always blocked by cars parked outside or accumulation of items  inside 

A terrible tragedy. All the more so if it transpires that sprinklers were omitted / inoperative....

2 people like this

An earlier poster said about the emergency services going through the wringer - understatement. My admiration for them and 'Joe Public' who step up and give random acts of kindness to those in need. My admiration for you all is boundless.

There will be a reckoning for what happened. I don't think that the landlords are coming out of this covered in glory.

In the meantime, please remember the victims and the affected, together with all of those giving help to them in your thoughts and prayers.

Trevor

EDIT

Here is a link to the Just Giving page

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/grenfell

Sorry if this is inappropriate but I hope the Mods don't mind

4 people like this

Well said Trevor, on all points.

Quote from a fireman, "You know it's not going to be good when you're told to write your name on your helmet before you go in"

John.

1 person likes this