1/24 Mazda RX-7 Savannah (Cabriolet)

Morning All,

Another one I found in my stash. I was looking through my model boxes, as one does, and I found this, in an advanced state of assembly.

It was one that my son had partially completed, and I just tidied up the 'edges', if you like.

On the whole, he did a great job, given that he was probably only 15 at the time and hadn't done a great deal of modelling.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

y4mtVa5JioHFaeM5dOO6ybVXFeKTE4buvWJZ1CoP

The box top. Tamiya box top art is usually very simple and elegant. This in my opinion is no exception.

This is where I have got with the body:

y4mRqotK76PegFtaUGFXvRf_eVjMZg28dgHSoqRN

y4m8kBQPZw_hk2t_NS6c-Fw9eYJ1Wuz0yHxQsfF5

y4mmYt5KwlVwUgV4H1ssx7GoODqgSMsTR_C4LuRF

y4m72jTz_knJUCIXBrq6ItMrmDy9NlpruVEhTikM

It's all primed and ready to be top-coated. The primer coat needed a little bit of preparation, but not much at all, just a quick rub down with very fine (1500 grit) wet-n-dry.

The interior & engine all assembled. The chrome tail pipes of the exhaust were painted with Molotow chrome, decanted and brushed on. Seemed to work.

y4mK6Y5P7cy1YYGOK6Dfx2uKVDYqQiuKApUBjcAa

y4mtGfc4_z9suteLV88UOfgnJ7lBhQYiX-kIeOuu

y4mtGNKc59rS2975bfoGdlDQV50OJzJ2jFztYFdS

y4mTLDD2DMeh4W7XNsvit9H1jLBhjnkV9K3mo4iz

It all looks nicely weathered. That's just 6 years of shelf dust!

Next step, top coating the body. I think some kind of metallic black would look good.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

Nice looking model Looking forward to seeing it  completed - probably in a lot quicker time scale than some 1:1 scale rebuilds!

Roger

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Some more updates on this. After a short delay.

I finally got the top coat done. I mixed up some Tamiya X1 and Mr Color Levelling thinners in a 50-50 mix.

I then sprayed it on the body of the Rx7. I wasn't sure what to expect. My experience with spraying Tamiya paints has been mixed. Sometimes it worked, other times it blocked up the brush...

Anyway, some pictures:

y4mSzmQh_QK-5AFBPh9bcW4VWwlogKaXghDo8STG

y4mFpSt_K_A3ggZaimGgyBIGExO0AeAxAUbXC-j2

y4mA15h4Yi97ZGQPEd-tgVzAeI4MMQnoNIfQ3mYp

y4mJ2slZV2LvwyfD8zi4mADqQnEITd0gHa6Hpkst

y4mRGt3kQMWAFEI56hgblvCeuZSKmPia3UNzc6ZA

I am quit impressed with the finish. I used the usual technique of a few dusting coats, followed by a final 'wet' coat, and this was the outcome.

However, (isn't there always a 'however'?), I noticed a couple of blemishes. One on the bonnet toward the front on the right-hand side and one on the boot where there must have been some contamination and a very small 'bald' spot appeared. So, I have sanded back those areas, and re-primed them, ready for another top coat.:swear:

Anyway, here it is at present:

y4mrnI5VYwRQsQwkRdf6f6ljSm5i91gyQNJ6LFrZ

y4mWfapwwzOf0eMdODg1mx0czIAuGEeuDQQ62amB

I am hoping to get this top-coated today. Let's see...

All the best,

Alan.

• Like 3