1/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

Finished this 1/72 Airfix Fiat G.50 today. Not sure what year my kit was from, I used a red stripe header bag release.

It's entirely box stock with the exception of rescribing entirely with recessed panel lines and utilizing Sky Models aftermarket decals.

I used a combination of Life Color, Italeri and Tamiya acrylics for paint. Also an artists oil panel line wash.

It's a simple kit that was pretty cleanly molded and didn't require a great deal of fettling or filler to get ready for paint. Can't speak to accuracy, but I think it looks the part pretty well.

1/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

1/72 Airfix Fiat G.501/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

1/72 Airfix Fiat G.501/72 Airfix Fiat G.501/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

1/72 Airfix Fiat G.501/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

1/72 Airfix Fiat G.50

• Like 62

I like that! It goes to show that in the right hands this kit still builds into a nice model.

I would be interested to know how you achieved the paint chipping effect?

Very nice mottle :thumbsup2:

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

Cracking little model. I remember building this as a lad. Don't think I've seen another one until now!

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I would be interested to know how you achieved the paint chipping effect?

Thank you all very much!

As for my paint chipping I do it while the model is still glossed with floor wax and before the flat coat. I use a small (one ought?) brush and Tamiya chrome silver acrylic. Just dab bits here and there where my imagination says hands and feet would regularly be..sometimes a little dry scrubbing with the brush where it seems wear might be concentrated. There are doubtless more sophisticated ways to handle it but I enjoy the simplicity of what might be the thought of as the "old school" approach.

• Like 3

Fantastic result! I love to see the old Airfix kits brought up to scratch and that is a cracker! The  camouflage scheme is very well rendered too - those spots can go wandering off and congregating if you don't keep an eye on them!

Regards,

Adrian

A fine effort of another favourite kit from my childhood. On the strength of this I might have to take a look at one of those I have in the stash.

Martian

Very nice finish and painting work. 

On 14.06.2017 at 0:26 AM, Lowbrow said:

Can't speak to accuracy, but I think it looks the part pretty well.

This is a very old mould. The accuracy of it is unfortunatelly not perfect. The main and the most obvious fault of Airfix kit is too small diametr of engine. This is about 1.5 mm. There is also a problem with general outline of fuselage, the bottom rear part is to much rised. Airfix could and should make a new edition of his classic product as they did with Defiant and many others...Since they declared that they need a real thing to scan - at least the fuselage of ex-Croatian is available:

3434778313_2ef5fded02.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2